Has anybody made the move from UK to WA recently?

Mike B

Hi,

My family and I were going to relocate to WA last year but then Covid 19 came along ☹️.

We are now in a position where we either go for broke or forget it all and buy a house again in the UK.

All we hear is that we will never get flights and things are unlikely to change soon!

Has anybody any thoughts or recent success stories?

Regards

Mike B

We are moving in September - our house sale is close to completion in the next couple of weeks and we will move into a rental round the corner.

By all reports WA is pretty close to business as usual once you are in.  My family in Perth are very much living normally now.

If you are ready to go, I think you go for it.  The main risk that I can see is if your flight gets cancelled and you have to wait a few weeks to get there.  Quarantine is a know cost and time and not a big deal in the long term.

The only other thing I would add is that Singapore air is out as people arriving from the UK cannot transit at the moment, and Emirate seems to have cancelled a lot of flights over the weekend.  Qantas direct should be ok I guess, and lower risk as no stopover with rules changing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are moving in September - our house sale is close to completion in the next couple of weeks and we will move into a rental round the corner.

By all reports WA is pretty close to business as usual once you are in.  My family in Perth are very much living normally now.

If you are ready to go, I think you go for it.  The main risk that I can see is if your flight gets cancelled and you have to wait a few weeks to get there.  Quarantine is a know cost and time and not a big deal in the long term.

The only other thing I would add is that Singapore air is out as people arriving from the UK cannot transit at the moment, and Emirate seems to have cancelled a lot of flights over the weekend.  Qantas direct should be ok I guess, and lower risk as no stopover with rules changing.

If Qantas are still doing the direct flight that would be the way to do it. In the scheme of things even the extra cost for business class would be worth it if it meant guaranteeing a place.

You would probably have to get a negative covid test before getting on the plane and you'll be tested again on arrival. They are strict with quarantine here, you would be checked on daily.

Upside is life is "normal". It's as if covid never happened and hopefully it will stay that way. Be prepared for a long stay in WA though, if you leave, even for another state, you might not get back for some time. WA is a big nice place though. Plenty to do and see without going anywhere. Plus we have a few months of good sunny weather to come yet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If Qantas are still doing the direct flight that would be the way to do it. In the scheme of things even the extra cost for business class would be worth it if it meant guaranteeing a place.

You would probably have to get a negative covid test before getting on the plane and you'll be tested again on arrival. They are strict with quarantine here, you would be checked on daily.

Upside is life is "normal". It's as if covid never happened and hopefully it will stay that way. Be prepared for a long stay in WA though, if you leave, even for another state, you might not get back for some time. WA is a big nice place though. Plenty to do and see without going anywhere. Plus we have a few months of good sunny weather to come yet.

I think being flexible and accepting some delay / chance of being bumped is less of an issue than chucking £15k at business class, but some would disagree!

I would do the direct flight, but my wife had a DVT in the past and is nervous of nearly 17 hours straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But does anybody know of any recent success stories?? Is it do-able?

My wife and I would both have to resign our jobs, pull the kids out of school/college and move out of our rental without the slightest idea of whether we could get there.

We got our Visa granted just before Xmas and are planning on moving to Perth. Wife is a Nurse and we are just waiting for a few things before we apply for an exemption as we have a 491 visa. Seems you will need an exemption if temp visa, a negative covid test, will have to quarantine and the luck in the first place of getting a flight and staying on it. All these if's make planning extremely hard especially trying to sort house out etc. GL let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Craig Colas said:

We got our Visa granted just before Xmas and are planning on moving to Perth. Wife is a Nurse and we are just waiting for a few things before we apply for an exemption as we have a 491 visa. Seems you will need an exemption if temp visa, a negative covid test, will have to quarantine and the luck in the first place of getting a flight and staying on it. All these if's make planning extremely hard especially trying to sort house out etc. GL let us know how you get on.

In your shoes, I would be applying for the exemption first, just in case you don't get one.  491 holders are not getting exemptions.  However, your wife being in a priority occupation could mean you are the exception.

If you do get refused, you can apply again. 

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Mike B said:

But does anybody know of any recent success stories?? Is it do-able?

My wife and I would both have to resign our jobs, pull the kids out of school/college and move out of our rental without the slightest idea of whether we could get there.

Several people on here have moved in the past few months but not to Perth.  Yes it is a risk but you’d be very unlucky to not get there in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Mike B said:

Is it just a case of getting bumped once off your flight or could it happen multiple times and take months?

It's really frustrating because my visa runs out soon.

When does your Visa run out?  Do you mean your initial entry date or your travel portion on a PR visa?  Initial entry dates are being suspended via a letter allowing later entry due to the Covid restrictions.

Edited by Jon the Hat

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

In your shoes, I would be applying for the exemption first, just in case you don't get one.  491 holders are not getting exemptions.  However, your wife being in a priority occupation could mean you are the exception.

If you do get refused, you can apply again. 

Yes will do 100%, heard of a few that have had the exemption given but not very many. Helps to have a job offer as well apparently, just waiting for Aphra registration now. Maybe having the vaccine might help as well but who knows all you can do is try and hope you get one.

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

When does your Visa run out?  Do you mean your initial entry date or your travel portion on a PR visa?  Initial entry dates are being suspended via a letter allowing later entry due to the Covid restrictions.

Activated visa in 2017 and was going to move out the year after.  Family issues put paid to that as did a change of heart because of the issue.  We then decided we would wait until my daughter did her exams last year but then coronavirus kicked off.  We have a permanent residency visa but it runs out this year.  Hopefully borders will ease and flights will get better - living in hope🤞

We moved to Perth lock stock and barrel on 24th October . We got our 143 visa on 2nd June and had a hectic few months selling everything in the UK . We booked business class seats on Emirates £8900 for two , we got bumped once after I realised that they were taking bookings for flights that were not flying . Emirates only land in Perth on Saturdays and Wednesdays so I insisted on rebooking only one of these days , the earliest flight offered was 21st December which I accepted but checked the booking site every morning and found earlier flights twice to bring the date nearer . The checkin and flight went smoothly and arrival in Perth airport was also not a problem , we actually enjoyed the 14 days quarantine as we were exhausted from the rigours of moving our lives to Australia . 
It’s great being able to live normal lives without virus restrictions

• Like 5

A few weeks ago I spoke to a couple on the promenade at Surfers Paradise (QLD). I offered to take a photo of them with their daughter and it turned out they are from Hampshire not far from my home. They had only recently arrived, gone through their two weeks of quarantine and said they were very happy. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No you didn't have to give it up - someone advised you badly.

After 2 previous attempts i was told by my senator who after speaking to border force that if i agreed to leave permanently i would get permission........thats the truth

37 minutes ago, jgt said:

After 2 previous attempts i was told by my senator who after speaking to border force that if i agreed to leave permanently i would get permission........thats the truth

That is true. You have to prove that you intend to leave permanently. That is not the same as giving up your right to live in Australia or giving up your visa

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

We arrived in mid-August and as PR  we got seats (we are a family of 5) on an official repatriation Qantas flight and flew direct (17hr 35min because had to avoid Afghan airspace!) to Darwin, quarantined at Howard Springs. With 3 children, 9, 11 and 14, 14 days stuck in 2 hotel rooms with no fresh air or space was a deal breaker so we were very happy with Howard Springs. The quarantine there was also a lot cheaper (and we got 5 single rooms - result!) and I was less worried about the children being exposed to Covid in quarantine (in Aug vaxx rates in WA were very low. Covid exposure in quarantine was possible)

It was incredibly stressful and expensive but ultimately worth it.

Now there are no repatriation flights I can imagine it is more difficult. Flights to the east coast are easy to get but getting a G2G pass to enter WA from outside the state is now almost impossible. It is an ever changing story and I do not envy your situation. 

Try and stay informed and up to date on Australian covid news. As for flights, try Jennie Bardsley and her team at British Travel in Perth. I know they have been getting people in and out of WA successfully throughout the pandemic.

Good luck.

https://www.britishtravel.com.au

• Like 1

Apparently WA will open its borders on the 5th Feb .🤞 ( Although seeing the reaction to the French backpacker covid drama , I'm not sure if WA will be able to handle any Covid wave ??)

Hopefully there will be more flights becoming available. 

Next  on the list is getting the house ready for putting  on the market , then trying to find a removal company that doesn't rip you off  or at least is reliable .

2 hours ago, RandL said:

Apparently WA will open its borders on the 5th Feb .🤞 ( Although seeing the reaction to the French backpacker covid drama , I'm not sure if WA will be able to handle any Covid wave ??)

Hopefully there will be more flights becoming available. 

Next  on the list is getting the house ready for putting  on the market , then trying to find a removal company that doesn't rip you off  or at least is reliable .

5th February,  2023 - possibly.