Is it a good move financially?

TheBrettFamily

19 hours ago, MacGyver said:

12 months ago the predictions were that prices would fall by 30% and we were hesitating to buy, worried the market hadn't bottomed out yet. I dont know if this is a temporary spike due to covid stimulus, or a sign of things to come, but I trust the market this year about as much as I trusted it last year! Oh to have a crystal ball!

Are you in Australia MacGyver?  I thought you were in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Are you in Australia MacGyver?  I thought you were in Scotland.

We did return to Scotland Toots, but decided it wasn't where we wanted to be and are now back in Australia - I've joined the ranks of ping-pongers! For the last 12 months I have felt very fortunate and relieved we made the decision to return when we did, prior to all the craziness of Covid.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2021 at 16:15, Wanderer Returns said:

I did my teacher-training in Nottingham Uni and a week after I started the course, a fella got murdered in the street below my apartment. Not sure if it was a shooting or a stabbing, but there was one of those little white tents for a while. Apart from that I rather liked the place - much more interesting city than Derby!

We used to go on stag nights to Nottingham sometimes. It was either there, Derby or Sheffield. I'm from Chesterfield originally so we had a bus pick us up after 2:00am. This was when nightclubs closed at 2, in the 70's and 80's. We used to have more trouble getting in places in Nottingham, learned that if you had a girl with you you were straight in, if you went in with 3 or 4 guys the bouncers would just say no. Girls were usually willing to go in with you though, specially if you bought them a drink once in.

Sheffield was better and more choice of clubs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

We used to go on stag nights to Nottingham sometimes. It was either there, Derby or Sheffield. I'm from Chesterfield originally so we had a bus pick us up after 2:00am. This was when nightclubs closed at 2, in the 70's and 80's. We used to have more trouble getting in places in Nottingham, learned that if you had a girl with you you were straight in, if you went in with 3 or 4 guys the bouncers would just say no. Girls were usually willing to go in with you though, specially if you bought them a drink once in.

Probably The Palais or Ocean? Actually the Palais was called something different back then and Ocean probably didn't exist. Ocean was the dodgier of the two down near Broadmarsh. There was then a big one - Oasis I think - that opened up on the ring road near the cinema which morphed into a strip club which largely functioned as a money transfer establishment for the flow of student loans from male to female students at the University!

Edited by DrDougster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2021 at 08:19, TheBrettFamily said:

Thank you @FirstWorldProblems and @Tulip1

A little more information on us, my husband is 28 and is a senior hedge fund analyst in London, I am 31 and work in the music industry. We currently live on the South East London/Kent border and would be looking at either Sydney or Brisbane is Oz. 

Hedge Funds generally pay higher salaries in London than in Sydney (and are rare in either country outside of those cities). Of course if your husband were to score a promotion by moving to Sydney it could still be a good move financially but realistically he should anticipate a pay cut.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 13:43, Paul1Perth said:

@Paul1Perth Nottingham was definitely a cooler night out, but Sheffield was safer!

On 21/01/2021 at 16:50, DrDougster said:

Probably The Palais or Ocean? Actually the Palais was called something different back then and Ocean probably didn't exist. Ocean was the dodgier of the two down near Broadmarsh. There was then a big one - Oasis I think - that opened up on the ring road near the cinema which morphed into a strip club which largely functioned as a money transfer establishment for the flow of student loans from male to female students at the University!

@DrDougster I thought you were quite young?! I remember the Palais, but I only ever went there after it became Ritzys. I also remember going to Libertys and the Black Orchid once, although we never returned to the latter after this rumour about a lad who had his drink spike there, and then woke up in a bath full of ice with one of his kidneys missing.

How the hell did we ever survive our youth?!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 00:17, DrDougster said:

Used to ride around there a fair bit - I lived out in Staunton in the Vale for a while. I went to med school in Nottingham back in the last century before it got too many guns! Plastic surgeon who taught me got stabbed by a former work colleague a couple of days ago after a longstanding work dispute - the guy broke into his family home in Hallam with a jerrycan and a knife at 4am ffs!

I work with the daughter of his friend! He's recovering thank god, but total madness. The perpetrator has got more than the original dispute to worry about now....

19 hours ago, armada said:

I work with the daughter of his friend! He's recovering thank god, but total madness. The perpetrator has got more than the original dispute to worry about now....

That's great to hear. Mr Perks really is one of the good guys. He used to love his job and taught with such passion. I did a special study module in plastics and got to spend a good bit of time with him and always remember his description of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" - maybe it was borrowing!

Still, not a chance I'd swap my job in Brisbane for one in Nottingham at the moment. My colleagues in resp medicine are all under such immense pressure and, getting back on topic, all they get is a feeble clap and protesters outside their workplace saying it's a hoax!

• Like 1