Citizenship by descent_ infant

Amoruso

On 14/01/2021 at 09:56, Amoruso said:

Applied on 27 December 2020 for my daughter who was born on 21 November 2020. Uploaded all documents required. Hearing stories that it is taking so long now even when nothing mor e needs to be submitted. Any good stories out there?

Hi Amoruso ,

I hope you will hear from them soon. I would like to ask you a question as I’m applying for my infant daughter as well :did you take a photo by yourself? Did you provide identity declaration? 
many thanks ! 

On 14/01/2021 at 17:56, Amoruso said:

required

Hi Anna 

Yes we took the photo ourselves. They said we could take it ourselves. And yes we did provide Identity Declaration by an Australian citizen. 

Below is immigration email to us on baby passport photo when we made enquiry regarding Citizenship by Descent application

'Thank you for your email.

You can lodge a Citizenship by descent application on-line https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/applying-online-or-on-paper/online and upload the following:

1. Obtain passport photos to be uploaded or take a face photo of the baby as attached parameters. If you have difficulty with this, you can take a photo of baby on a white background (e.g. sheet) with full face showing and eyes open (if possible) and upload that to the on-line application. It must be saved as a Jpeg version less than 500kb in size.'

All the best in your application Anna. Passport is next. It never ends.

• Thanks 1

Guest AltyMatt

Does citizenship by descent preclude naturalised citizenship? I'm wondering whether the children of someone who subsequently returned to UK could subsequently obtain citizenship via naturalisation and pass it to their children.

8 minutes ago, AltyMatt said:

Does citizenship by descent preclude naturalised citizenship? I'm wondering whether the children of someone who subsequently returned to UK could subsequently obtain citizenship via naturalisation and pass it to their children.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

Guest AltyMatt
30 minutes ago, paulhand said:

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

If a child obtains citizenship by descent, their citizenship stops with them and can't be passed on to their children. Can they upgrade the citizenship by descent to full citizenship by naturalisation, e.g by moving back to the UK and working/studying there for a few years. Or is their citizenship status fixed at 'by descent'.

35 minutes ago, AltyMatt said:

If a child obtains citizenship by descent, their citizenship stops with them and can't be passed on to their children. Can they upgrade the citizenship by descent to full citizenship by naturalisation, e.g by moving back to the UK and working/studying there for a few years. Or is their citizenship status fixed at 'by descent'.

No, it can be passed on if the descent citizen lives for a number of years (varies as to country) in that country before they have a child. 

On 14/01/2021 at 09:56, Amoruso said:

Applied on 27 December 2020 for my daughter who was born on 21 November 2020. Uploaded all documents required. Hearing stories that it is taking so long now even when nothing mor e needs to be submitted. Any good stories out there?

It took about 3 months for my daughters citizenship to be approved, I applied in July 2019, and it was approved around the end of October. Bear in mind this was all pre Covid.

On 16/01/2021 at 20:52, AltyMatt said:

A child can always pass on their Australian citizenship if the grandchild would otherwise be stateless.  For example, if two Australian citizens by descent who have never set foot in Australia had a child overseas and the child is not entitled to any other citizenship then they would be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.