Jump to content
mamba

Pension remittance from UK

Recommended Posts

It has been some years since I posted on here but now I am in need of advice.

The story, I emigrated to Oz over nine years ago at three months over the age of 65 and was already in receipt of the UK State pension, my company pension and a small annuity, the total being just over £1400 a month.

On emigrating I have used MONEYCORP to transfer £1400 every month to my bank in Oz and everything has gone perfectly for nine years until this week. In the past I have elected to fix an agreed exchange rate rather than accept the floating rate and this contract is due to end next month. I was contacted by MONEYCORP to remind me that the contract was coming to an end and to contact them and informing me of the various options open to me for the continued transfer of money. There were three options, £1400 from UK at a floating rate, £1400 from the UK at a mutually agreed fixed rate for up to two years and finally a fixed amount of AUS $ to my Oz bank at a floating rate.

on speaking to MONEYCORP they said that they are withdrawing from this service, that none of the options are open to me and thanks for your custom. Bye Bye.

This is not a complaint against MONEYCORP and as I said at the beginning their service has been very good and I’ve been very happy with them. They have simply stopped offering this service.

i cannot be the only person this has affected and I am looking for  advice from people who have been put in the same position of names of reputable companies ect who would be willing to take over where MONEYCORP have left off.

many thanks for reading.

mamba

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mamba said:

It has been some years since I posted on here but now I am in need of advice.

The story, I emigrated to Oz over nine years ago at three months over the age of 65 and was already in receipt of the UK State pension, my company pension and a small annuity, the total being just over £1400 a month.

On emigrating I have used MONEYCORP to transfer £1400 every month to my bank in Oz and everything has gone perfectly for nine years until this week. In the past I have elected to fix an agreed exchange rate rather than accept the floating rate and this contract is due to end next month. I was contacted by MONEYCORP to remind me that the contract was coming to an end and to contact them and informing me of the various options open to me for the continued transfer of money. There were three options, £1400 from UK at a floating rate, £1400 from the UK at a mutually agreed fixed rate for up to two years and finally a fixed amount of AUS $ to my Oz bank at a floating rate.

on speaking to MONEYCORP they said that they are withdrawing from this service, that none of the options are open to me and thanks for your custom. Bye Bye.

This is not a complaint against MONEYCORP and as I said at the beginning their service has been very good and I’ve been very happy with them. They have simply stopped offering this service.

i cannot be the only person this has affected and I am looking for  advice from people who have been put in the same position of names of reputable companies ect who would be willing to take over where MONEYCORP have left off.

many thanks for reading.

mamba

We have used  Transferwise for the transfer of income from the UK for many years. We have never had a problem with them and the money is usually in the bank the next day.

However we only do a direct transfer as or when needed, so can’t give you advice about the different rates on offer.

best you contact Transferwise direct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mamba said:

on speaking to MONEYCORP they said that they are withdrawing from this service, that none of the options are open to me and thanks for your custom. Bye Bye.

This is not a complaint against MONEYCORP and as I said at the beginning their service has been very good and I’ve been very happy with them. They have simply stopped offering this service.

I'm not quite clear which service you mean.  Do you mean they no longer do recurring payments?   

I simply instructed HMRC to pay my UK pension directly into my Australian bank account.  I may not be getting the best exchange rate that way but it's completely painless.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not quite clear which service you mean.  Do you mean they no longer do recurring payments?   

I simply instructed HMRC to pay my UK pension directly into my Australian bank account.  I may not be getting the best exchange rate that way but it's completely painless.

This is exactly what I do, with both UK state and my Royal Mail pensions, with both their international bankers paying my pensions into my Aussie bank account once a month, at whatever the FX rate is.

My rental income for my house in England is still paid into my UK bank account and I transfer that as and when I need it to my Aussie bank account using Transferwise. I could not doubt ask my estate agent to pay it direct to my Aussie bank account like my pensions but so far it has suited me to continue paying into the UK bank account. 

I would have thought that for the amounts involved  it is not really worth worrying about the FX rates? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ramot said:

We have used  Transferwise for the transfer of income from the UK for many years. We have never had a problem with them and the money is usually in the bank the next day.

However we only do a direct transfer as or when needed, so can’t give you advice about the different rates on offer.

best you contact Transferwise direct.

I use Transferwise  because they are cheaper than using my UK bank. I transfer the amount from my UK bank account to Transferwise's account and they pay it into my Aussie bank account, either the same day if I do it early enough or the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not quite clear which service you mean.  Do you mean they no longer do recurring payments?   

I simply instructed HMRC to pay my UK pension directly into my Australian bank account.  I may not be getting the best exchange rate that way but it's completely painless.

Following my conversation with MONEYCORP last night it now appears that they no longer do recurring payments, in my case that was a payment of £1400 each month for the last nine years. In fact, the more I write about this the more ridicules it sounds, what is a money transfer company for if not to transfer money?

mamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not quite clear which service you mean.  Do you mean they no longer do recurring payments?   

I simply instructed HMRC to pay my UK pension directly into my Australian bank account.  I may not be getting the best exchange rate that way but it's completely painless.

Probably depends on how much you transfer monthly as to whether  you don’t mind getting the best rate exchange rate or not. when your only source  of income is from UK.then every penny counts, and is better in my pocket, because I get the best exchange rate with no hassle by using Transferwise. Obviously different circumstances if you no longer have a UK bank account.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mamba said:

Following my conversation with MONEYCORP last night it now appears that they no longer do recurring payments, in my case that was a payment of £1400 each month for the last nine years. In fact, the more I write about this the more ridicules it sounds, what is a money transfer company for if not to transfer money?

mamba

It must be a very recent decision as they still mention recurring payments on their website.  Maybe @Susan from Moneycorp can shed some light.

They do still transfer money, all you need to do is book the transfer yourself each month. That's what Ramot and MaryRose do.  Not as convenient but if you have an online account with them, it's very simple and would take you less than half an hour. 

I'm not aware of any other money transfer company that does recurring payments but maybe someone else will know someone.  Otherwise, like I said, if you want automatic payments then you can just tell the Pension Centre to pay the money straight into your Australian bank account.  

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the replies so far it is beginning to look as though my best bet is to use Transferwise say four times a year moving a sum of £4200 each time. However, for now I will wait and see if any more suggestions are forthcoming. Surely, I can’t be the only person affected by this change of strategy by MONEYCORP?

Many thanks for fast replies

Mamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mamba said:

From the replies so far it is beginning to look as though my best bet is to use Transferwise say four times a year moving a sum of £4200 each time. However, for now I will wait and see if any more suggestions are forthcoming. Surely, I can’t be the only person affected by this change of strategy by MONEYCORP?

Many thanks for fast replies

Mamba

You could do exactly the same thing with Moneycorp. 

They still transfer money, exactly the same as Transferwise


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having looked at the Transferwise web page they offer a far better rate than MONEYCORP. When I was transferring money with MONEYCORP. at their floating rate I was consistently getting about 3% less than the bank rate which I found acceptable given the rates offered by my own UK bank which is why I signed up with MONEYCORP in the first place.

Now, comparing MONEYCORP with Transferwise my £1400 per month would yield over $1100 per year extra with Transferwise.

Mamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mamba said:

Having looked at the Transferwise web page they offer a far better rate than MONEYCORP. When I was transferring money with MONEYCORP. at their floating rate I was consistently getting about 3% less than the bank rate which I found acceptable given the rates offered by my own UK bank which is why I signed up with MONEYCORP in the first place.

Now, comparing MONEYCORP with Transferwise my £1400 per month would yield over $1100 per year extra with Transferwise.

Mamba

That was precisely the point I was making in a previous post. A good exchange rate means more money received, makes sense to me. It’s very easy and takes no time to transfer money from UK bank using Transferwise, to receive it sometimes on the same day in your Australian bank account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mamba said:

Having looked at the Transferwise web page they offer a far better rate than MONEYCORP. When I was transferring money with MONEYCORP. at their floating rate I was consistently getting about 3% less than the bank rate which I found acceptable given the rates offered by my own UK bank which is why I signed up with MONEYCORP in the first place.

Now, comparing MONEYCORP with Transferwise my £1400 per month would yield over $1100 per year extra with Transferwise.

Mamba

Both Moneycorp and Transferwise always beat the banks. However the rates do vary all the time - one month Moneycorp will be cheaper and the next month it may be Transferwise or some other company.  The best strategy is to keep accounts with both, and check the rates when you're ready to do each transfer. 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/01/2021 at 17:25, mamba said:

Following my conversation with MONEYCORP last night it now appears that they no longer do recurring payments, in my case that was a payment of £1400 each month for the last nine years. In fact, the more I write about this the more ridicules it sounds, what is a money transfer company for if not to transfer money?

mamba

Hello Mamba ~ and thanks so much for this post.

I'm really sorry to hear the service has been stopped by the team in London responsible for sending your funds over - we haven't had a directive here at our Australia office for transfers that we make for our clients and I'll certainly speak to the Department over there this evening to find out more about their change in direction.

 Meantime, being one of our Australian clients, I'd like to thank you for your custom and loyalty over the past nine years: we are only too aware you have alternative providers to consider.
With your online account being available 24/7 for you to bring funds over at your convenience,  I'm confident we can match the rate offered by Transferwise and keep your monthly remittances on-track.

Please feel free to call me on the office line: +61 414 838 586 whenever you'd like to chat and we can run through how the online process works!

Have a great weekend,

Sue, 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It must be a very recent decision as they still mention recurring payments on their website.  Maybe @Susan from Moneycorp can shed some light.

They do still transfer money, all you need to do is book the transfer yourself each month. That's what Ramot and MaryRose do.  Not as convenient but if you have an online account with them, it's very simple and would take you less than half an hour. 

I'm not aware of any other money transfer company that does recurring payments but maybe someone else will know someone.  Otherwise, like I said, if you want automatic payments then you can just tell the Pension Centre to pay the money straight into your Australian bank account.  

Many thanks @Marisawright  🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a different question along with the same lines.

If you are resident in Australia and drawing from a UK pension, how much can you draw before you pay tax?

Also, I'm assuming that the amount you draw would affect Australian state pension?

I'm assuming that if you are resident in Australia, you would pay no tax on UK pension withdrawal to the UK inland revenue?

Also, if you are drawing a UK private pension, can you still contribute to sups if you were working in Australia?

 

.

 


Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.  If you are resident in Australia and drawing from a UK pension, how much can you draw before you pay tax?

You'll declare the pension on your Australian tax return, and it's just treated as part of your total income.

2.  Also, I'm assuming that the amount you draw would affect Australian state pension?

You have to declare the UK pension to Centrelink and it will reduce your Australian state pension. However it's not dollar for dollar (I think it's more like 50 cents for each dollar), so you'll still be better off

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To continue the answers posted by @Marisawright to @newjez

3. I'm assuming that if you are resident in Australia, you would pay no tax on UK pension withdrawal to the UK inland revenue?

That's probably right. Pension income is taxed where you are resident under the terms of the treaty but lump sums are a grey area as to whether or not they are pension income.

4. Also, if you are drawing a UK private pension, can you still contribute to sups if you were working in Australia?

Yes. Anyone under 65 (working or not) can contribute to Super and anyone over 65 but under 75 who is working in Australia (and under certain circumstances even when not working) can contribute to Super. UK pension income is irrelevant to this.

  • Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ken said:

To continue the answers posted by @Marisawright to @newjez

3. I'm assuming that if you are resident in Australia, you would pay no tax on UK pension withdrawal to the UK inland revenue?

That's probably right. Pension income is taxed where you are resident under the terms of the treaty but lump sums are a grey area as to whether or not they are pension income.

4. Also, if you are drawing a UK private pension, can you still contribute to sups if you were working in Australia?

Yes. Anyone under 65 (working or not) can contribute to Super and anyone over 65 but under 75 who is working in Australia (and under certain circumstances even when not working) can contribute to Super. UK pension income is irrelevant to this.

I do pay some tax in the UK, but most is to the ATO. I still have to submit a tax return to HMRC. Is 31st January the cut-off date? I am suddenly unable to access the internet site, possibly because I don't have a valid UK passport. I've asked them to send me a paper form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×