Aeronautical Engineer Help

Aimee25

Hi everyone, we are currently in the process of applying for an australian visa and basically looking for some initial advice as my partner is an aeronautical stress engineer with 15 years of experience however we are finding the all the jobs in Australia seem to only be available for citizens I'm just wondering if anyone on here was in the same position or has any advice on this subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Aimee

If you can gain permanent residence with his current skill set, that is usually enough. I am getting into aviation as well and require PR, so the temp visas didnt really help. I had some temp visas in my name, but knew I would be using them to retrain and stay in the country.

10 hours ago, Aimee25 said:

Hi everyone, we are currently in the process of applying for an australian visa and basically looking for some initial advice as my partner is an aeronautical stress engineer with 15 years of experience however we are finding the all the jobs in Australia seem to only be available for citizens I'm just wondering if anyone on here was in the same position or has any advice on this subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Aimee

@Aimee25, I'm assuming you are planning to apply for a permanent visa.

If you want to work in a government job or in any job that pertains to national security or defence, then yes, you need to be a citizen.  If that is a requirement of the job, it will be stated on the job advertisement.  I guess your approach should be to check what kind of organisations could potentially employ your husband, and check what their requirements are.

In the old days, you could gamble on finding enough make-do work for 2 years until you could become a citizen. Nowadays it takes almost 6 years to become a citizen - 4 years till you qualify and 1-2 years to apply and get approved.

Edited by Marisawright

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@Aimee25, I'm assuming you are planning to apply for a permanent visa.

If you want to work in a government job or in any job that pertains to national security or defence, then yes, you need to be a citizen.  If that is a requirement of the job, it will be stated on the job advertisement.  I guess your approach should be to check what kind of organisations could potentially employ your husband, and check what their requirements are.

In the old days, you could gamble on finding enough make-do work for 2 years until you could become a citizen. Nowadays it takes almost 6 years to become a citizen - 4 years till you qualify and 1-2 years to apply and get approved.

You don't need to be a citizen for all government jobs - as prev. I'm a Dr in a public hospital - government employee and started as such on a 457.

5 hours ago, DrDougster said:

You don't need to be a citizen for all government jobs - as prev. I'm a Dr in a public hospital - government employee and started as such on a 457.

Clearly not all public sector jobs are ‘in government’ or have national security implications. 

• Like 1