Citizen by descent - Can I apply?

LGB87

Hi all,

Hoping for some help, my father was born in Britain in 1965 and moved to Australia in the same year as a ‘£10 pom’. He lived in Australia until he was 13 in 1978 before coming back to the UK.

I am considering applying for Australian Citizenship By Descent, I was born in 1987 in the UK.

I have travelled with my father to Australia before but with my UK citizenship.

Before doing so, I just want to check if I’m eligible for ‘Citizenship by descent’ or any blocks I might experience? I have a few family/cousins in the same situation now living in Australia but their parents arranged their citizenship/ passport at a much younger age.

Thank you!

From what I have read it seems possible (regardless of your age) for you to do this as your dad has lived in aus for at least 2 years! The requirements are on the aussie immigration page 🙂

I wanted to do a similar thing but sadly my dad has not lived there but has the passport!! very annoying ahah

1 hour ago, LGB87 said:

Hi all,

Hoping for some help, my father was born in Britain in 1965 and moved to Australia in the same year as a ‘£10 pom’. He lived in Australia until he was 13 in 1978 before coming back to the UK.

I am considering applying for Australian Citizenship By Descent, I was born in 1987 in the UK.

I have travelled with my father to Australia before but with my UK citizenship.

Before doing so, I just want to check if I’m eligible for ‘Citizenship by descent’ or any blocks I might experience? I have a few family/cousins in the same situation now living in Australia but their parents arranged their citizenship/ passport at a much younger age.

Thank you!

Did your dad get citizenship?