Jon the Hat

Personal Reference

Hi All

Looking at Realestate.com.au at properties in Perth, and they seem to use a couple of online reference / application companies, one of which I am looking at Tenant Options.

The application asks for a personal / professional reference who is not family or employer of work colleague.  These are the only contacts I have in Australia who know me well.  What have others done for this question?

Mind has gone blank on this!

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

Does it say you can't use an international reference?

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Agree with Marisa, why does the reference have to be local? 

Edited by Tulip1

You can write a covering letter to explain you are new migrants, use whatever references you can get, other landlords, here or in UK.  We also included specs from the house we sold in UK.

If you can prove you can pay that is the main thing tbh.  Also take time to speak the the agent, personal contact goes a long way.

I see you are probably still in the UK DO NOT take a long term rental until you see it in person or at least have someone you trust view it for you.  Take a holiday let for a few weeks and look around.

Pictures can be misleading and old (like 10 years old!) most agents only let if you view in person.

Edited by rammygirl

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

I’ve heard it’s hard to get a rental property in Perth right now. Not sure how hard but apparently many from over east are taking them whilst working there in case borders suddenly close and they can’t get to/back from their homes elsewhere. 

Edited by Tulip1

Thanks all - we definitely wont be renting anything until we have viewed, I was just trying to get ahead with the admin.  I will think about references this end then.

16 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’ve heard it’s hard to get a rental property in Perth right now. Not sure how hard but apparently many from over east are taking them whilst working there in case borders suddenly close and they can’t get to/back from their homes elsewhere. 

Yes I can imagine - hopefully by the time we come in September things will be a little more stable.  If not we might be bunking with family for a few weeks!