Personal Reference

Jon the Hat

Hi All

Looking at Realestate.com.au at properties in Perth, and they seem to use a couple of online reference / application companies, one of which I am looking at Tenant Options.

The application asks for a personal / professional reference who is not family or employer of work colleague.  These are the only contacts I have in Australia who know me well.  What have others done for this question?

Mind has gone blank on this!

You can write a covering letter to explain you are new migrants, use whatever references you can get, other landlords, here or in UK.  We also included specs from the house we sold in UK.

If you can prove you can pay that is the main thing tbh.  Also take time to speak the the agent, personal contact goes a long way.

I see you are probably still in the UK DO NOT take a long term rental until you see it in person or at least have someone you trust view it for you.  Take a holiday let for a few weeks and look around.

Pictures can be misleading and old (like 10 years old!) most agents only let if you view in person.

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

I’ve heard it’s hard to get a rental property in Perth right now. Not sure how hard but apparently many from over east are taking them whilst working there in case borders suddenly close and they can’t get to/back from their homes elsewhere. 

Edited by Tulip1

16 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I’ve heard it’s hard to get a rental property in Perth right now. Not sure how hard but apparently many from over east are taking them whilst working there in case borders suddenly close and they can’t get to/back from their homes elsewhere. 

Yes I can imagine - hopefully by the time we come in September things will be a little more stable.  If not we might be bunking with family for a few weeks!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 13/01/2021 at 23:46, Jon the Hat said:

Yes I can imagine - hopefully by the time we come in September things will be a little more stable.  If not we might be bunking with family for a few weeks!

Hasn’t improved I’m afraid.  Be prepared for a couple of months of house hunting.  We’re finding every house to rent we visit has a queue of people looking around.

Write a covering letter explaining your situation, use UK references but if you can find Australian ones all the better, an employer or even the temp accommodation you are using. We added the spec from our home in UK we had sold. Prove you are good for the rent and are not going to wreck the joint that’s all they want to know really.

Oh and many of those queuing are probably just being nosey, agents don’t put them off because it creates competition!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Write a covering letter explaining your situation, use UK references but if you can find Australian ones all the better, an employer or even the temp accommodation you are using. We added the spec from our home in UK we had sold. Prove you are good for the rent and are not going to wreck the joint that’s all they want to know really.

Oh and many of those queuing are probably just being nosey, agents don’t put them off because it creates competition!

All good comments, though from what we’ve seen and from talking with others the queues are real enough. We fought through the Perth storms to view a property yesterday thinking no one else would bother in the weather. It was crammed with people measuring where to put the furniture 🙂

we’re lifelong renters so don’t have significant funds to display, or the option of offering multiple months rent in advance. Our key advantage is probably being a professional couple in our 60s - you play to your strengths 😁