UK Law student wanting to move to Aus - any help would be great!!

Tilly H

Hi, 

I am currently completing my GDL in the UK and wanting to move to Aus beginning of next year. I understand I will need to get my qualifications assessed and complete extra modules in order to practice law in aus. 

I was wondering if anyone could give advice on 

1) Any idea on how many extra modules would I have to do? 

2) Would I be allowed to apply for a skilled visa (solicitor) rather than a WHV? If not a skilled visa, does anyone have any advice on what visa I could get, which would allow me to work and study at the same time, as I am conscious that I can only study for up to 4 months for each year of the WHV

3) any other general advice on moving to aus to become a solicitor !! 

THANK YOU - super grateful for any help

Skilled visas require post qualification professional experience as well as assessment of the qualification, so you should look into that.  Are you intending to move permanently to Australia?  If so you might be better off commencing work in the UK asap to get your experience sorted for the longer term.

Your enquiry is complicated and I'd suggest booking a consultation with a migration agent to plan a strategy.   Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

You have 3 options:  a WHV, a Student Visa or a Skilled Visa. 

For a skilled visa, you need to check what the official requirements are.  You always need qualifications AND some years of experience AFTER you've achieved that qualification.  

It would be worth checking whether you're allowed to study by distance education while you're on a WHV and if so, whether there are distance-learning options for the modules you wish to do.  

Thank you both so much for your help! Distance learning is something I have been looking into so hopefully that brings some luck!! I will contact an immigration agent! 

Last question, do you know if many companies sponsor people who are on WHV? 

2 hours ago, Tilly H said:

do you know if many companies sponsor people who are on WHV? 

Very very few.  People do get sponsored while on a WHV, but they are usually in their late 20's, and they arrived in Australia with their qualifications and some years of experience already.  

Employers can't sponsor just anyone.  The person must still have all the qualifications and experience specified for the visa, exactly the same as if you were applying from overseas. You don't get any concessions because you are onshore or because an employer wants you.