unzippy

Free travel to Tassie?

I really want to visit Tasmania, I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the place. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I really want to visit Tasmania, I’ve heard so many wonderful things about the place. 

We loved the week we spent there around the island - would recommend it to anyone (Reminded the hubby of Wales).

• Like 1

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

We went for a 4 or 5 days a few years ago and it seemed a lovely place. Will definately go back at some point to do more exploring

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

We had a great trip a couple of years ago, apart from perhaps obvious places we loved The Wall in The Wilderness at Derwent Bridge, and Legerwood Memorial Tree carvings a tribute to their fallen hero’s. Both a bit off the regular tourist trail, but so worth a visit.

• Like 2

Amazing reflection on Gordon river cruise Strahan. Not a bad size I think crayfish? caught by a friend. Legerwood.

9E3C7DDF-A5AF-41E7-BF08-D7067A9F9EB0.jpeg

0E3F19EA-2EDB-4554-B79B-33161D59D9AE.jpeg

78964FAE-4282-4351-BA9F-E5A9655FB52E.jpeg

• Like 3

Photos from my book about the Wall, opened in 2005, carved on Huon pine panels one metre wide x three metres high and 100mm thick, weigh 250kg. My photos don’t do justice to the reality of the carving. 

23FB6471-AD98-4464-9562-A1ACA70E706B.jpeg

A0BE0CF4-D763-40A6-B9BC-41641C569DA1.jpeg

• Like 3

The vehicle goes free, you still have to pay for all travellers and a cabin 

3 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

The vehicle goes free, you still have to pay for all travellers and a cabin 

And there lies the catch, most people want a cabin and the prices have been hiked!

28 minutes ago, Freemantle said:

And there lies the catch, most people want a cabin and the prices have been hiked!

No, the prices are the same as usual. I’ve priced a trip up a few times.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I recall being thrown out of bed in our cabin as we entered Bass Strait and into a 6-8 metre swell.  Every time the ship crested a wave it would roll and then pitch into the furrow. As it crashed into the next wave there was an enormous boom which would set off car alarms in the lower decks. We left our cabin and caught the lift to the upper decks ( now that 's an experience being in a moving lift as the ship tilts and dives) and watched the ship move through the swell.   

In our greater travels, that was far more exciting than driving down the Stuart Highway in the NT and counting the dead roos on the side of the road.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Lucky you, my husband is a Tasmanian and the whole family are living in Tasmania and we are not honoured with a great deal, sad to say!

23 minutes ago, Freemantle said:

Lucky you, my husband is a Tasmanian and the whole family are living in Tasmania and we are not honoured with a great deal, sad to say!

I didn’t say I’d taken the trip, just worked it out for the future 🤔

9 hours ago, Freemantle said:

You can always fly ?

I don't suppose you can just send the car on its own on the Spirit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

21 hours ago, ramot said:

Photos from my book about the Wall, opened in 2005, carved on Huon pine panels one metre wide x three metres high and 100mm thick, weigh 250kg. My photos don’t do justice to the reality of the carving. 

23FB6471-AD98-4464-9562-A1ACA70E706B.jpeg

A0BE0CF4-D763-40A6-B9BC-41641C569DA1.jpeg

Greg Duncan's carvings are fantastic!!

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 19:58, Dusty Plains said:

I recall being thrown out of bed in our cabin as we entered Bass Strait and into a 6-8 metre swell.  Every time the ship crested a wave it would roll and then pitch into the furrow. As it crashed into the next wave there was an enormous boom which would set off car alarms in the lower decks. We left our cabin and caught the lift to the upper decks ( now that 's an experience being in a moving lift as the ship tilts and dives) and watched the ship move through the swell.   

In our greater travels, that was far more exciting than driving down the Stuart Highway in the NT and counting the dead roos on the side of the road.  

Don’t say that, I get sick on a canal boat 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

On 09/01/2021 at 21:43, Freemantle said:

I don’t understand your post? Are you saying you aren’t permitted the deals when they come up online? 

On 10/01/2021 at 08:10, Parley said:

I don't suppose you can just send the car on its own on the Spirit.

There are people who offer that service.  You can get a car/vehicle/caravan delivered to the Spirit, get it loaded and then you pick it up at the other side.

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

There are people who offer that service.  You can get a car/vehicle/caravan delivered to the Spirit, get it loaded and then you pick it up at the other side.

I’ve been one of the drivers who does that. They don’t just load the vehicle, they travel with it and drive it off. Cheaper than sending it cargo apparently 

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Is it worth it for a two week holiday?

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

If you have transport, yes.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Absolutely.  Once you're used to the huge distances on mainland Australia, Tasmania feels tiny and it's easy to cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Is it cheaper than flying and car hire though?

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

4 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Probably not just now as there are very few hire cars available.  Many of the hire firms sold off the cars when Covid hit.  The ones who do have cars for hire are charging an arm and a leg.  Greedy barstewards.

13 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Normally, no. But currently it’s too hard to get a car rental so bringing your own car is the only option