UK or Australia?! Do I try get my PR???

johno_sam

Hi all,

After some advice from you all; I left England back in April 2016 at the age of 26 to go backpacking around the world, one thing led to another and I ended up in NZ for a year before moving to Australia a little over three years ago on a WHV. Being away this long was never my plan when I left, but here we are and I do not regret it for one second.

My last three years in Australia have been so up and down, hated sydney when I first arrived from Queenstown, missed home and family on and off, doing farmwork, getting sponsored, not getting sponsored, making friends and friends leaving due to visa’s or Covid-19...

Finally I got sponsored just before my WHV was up and I decided to go with it. I only took sponsorship because I was unsure whether to go home or not and saw staying here for the time being as an easier option.

After a family holiday, I had decided I was going to move home in 2021. Once again, I changed my mind and decided I would stay and go for my PR, which I can get in 2023.

We are now in Jan 2021 and I have never felt this lonely over here and for the past month have not stopped thinking about going home to the UK. I have all my family there, friends I grew up with as well as many friends I have made in NZ and Australia.

I guess my questions are:

1. when do you stop living in limbo and just decide to take the plunge? 
  2. Is it normal to be this up and down about Australia vs UK? 
  3. Is it worth me sticking it out for another two years (I will be 34) to get my PR to potentially just go back to the UK?

When you say you can apply for PR in 2023, do you mean applying direct in your own right, or applying through the employer-sponsored route?

If it's the employer-sponsored route, then you can't just get PR then leave, as you undertake to stay with that employer for a number of years after the grant. 

Edited by Marisawright

37 minutes ago, johno_sam said:

Hi Marisa,

It will be in my own right, as 482 Medium Term Visa has a direct pathway to Australian permanent residency after three years.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the "direct pathway" was via the 186 visa, which also depends on your employer sponsoring you?  In which case, the employer will usually put some conditions on it (like requiring you to pay back all the costs if you leave early), and the visa can be revoked if you don't stay with that employer for another two years after grant.

Edited by Marisawright