Brisbane Lockdown - Anal or Prudent ?

davlap

I always expected any hint of Covid in QLD would cause an immediate (knee-jerk?) reaction.

So, a cleaner has the 'UK strain' (thought it came from South Africa originally). They live south side,  came to the city by train and worked in a quarantine hotel. Got tested and went into quarantine, but may have had it for a couple of days.

So, from 6pm tonight greater Brisbane (North and South) is in full lockdown. No leaving the house, shopping, daily exercise only, soon mandating mandatory masks.

Is this over the top, or safe, good management? Not a single additional case detected. Surely it is too soon to be 'going to go hard and we are going to go early' as Annastacia  puts it. The side effects on peoples physical and mental health will potentially cause more damage. Then we will get the endless expert speculation and doom and gloom.

My brother in the UK is into the Covid conspiracy theory. I tell him Covid is real, why would hospitals conspire to fill up (amongst other things). 

I'm not against restrictions when appropriate, just not sure if the constant state of hyper anxiety and knock backs to families and businesses is valid.

I dread to think what will happen if we get a handful of cases. The other states will rub their hands with glee at the opportunity to return the harsh border controls QLD have imposed on them

Edited by davlap
  • Like 1

This kind of thing is so harsh:

"If you are in those Greater Brisbane areas and you may have planned a vacation over this weekend. I'm so sorry, but you will not be able to go. You will have to reschedule," she said.

Worse, are those cases where people close to dying (cancer etc not Covid) are not allowed to get visitors. How can you not manage a handful of people, who most likely would agree to any requirements if it meant seeing and being with loved ones to face the end together.

I thought this amusing - giving the states 'permission', or taking away their thunder?

"The premier will urge other states and territories to also declare Great Brisbane a hotspot "until we get through this together"."

Having said all this, I seriously doubt Aus could cope in a full scale escalation. Wife is a nurse (community based mostly), couldn't even get a thermometer to test her patients at the peak earlier in the year

Edited by davlap
  • Like 1

It's difficult all round but living under lockdown part III and working in the NHS, I know I'd happily trade a strict limited lockdown and next to no Covid cases for what we currently have in the UK.  I don't think you can be over the top of you're currently getting away with it. You should carry on doing all you can to avoid the situation we have in Europe. Especially being so close to vaccine roll out, however useful they out to be. 

It's no conspiracy but certainly lots of continuous cock-ups which fuel speculation. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, davlap said:

I dread to think what will happen if we get a handful of cases. The other states will rub their hands with glee at the opportunity to return the harsh border controls QLD have imposed on them

That's what the lockdown is for, to give time for anyone she's infected to be traced, so it will all be over quickly. 

The alternative is to do what NSW did and let life go on as normal while they track and trace - and look how that turned out.   Not a huge number of reported  cases, but it's probably all over Sydney (there's Covid in the sewage in 36 suburbs), and Melbourne has had two separate outbreaks caused by the Avalon cluster.  And that's not the highly infectious variant. 

Of course it's bad luck if you had plans which will be disrupted, but the whole point is that being very strict for a short period is more effective AND less painful than a prolonged period of being less strict.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I heard on 2GB this morning (also broadcast into QLD) that the sheeple were already besieging the supermarkets. I was worried during the lockdown last year, especially when I was worried I did have the virus (more likely an allergy and not even a cold). I quarantined for two weeks in my flat but I had already stocked up from the corner shop each time I went in there with a couple of cans. Towards the end of the two weeks I ordered on line from Woolworths and that was fine too, with a minimum wait.

I understand that it is much more difficult in some parts of the UK, with long queues and / or long waits? (And over-zealous coppers demanding to know what you are up to being outside the open prisons?)

I had a six pack of toilet roll and I did give in to panic and bought an eight pack or even a sixteen pack and I remember that the six pack more or less lasted me anyway.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Maussie said:

It's difficult all round but living under lockdown part III and working in the NHS, I know I'd happily trade a strict limited lockdown and next to no Covid cases for what we currently have in the UK.  I don't think you can be over the top of you're currently getting away with it. You should carry on doing all you can to avoid the situation we have in Europe. Especially being so close to vaccine roll out, however useful they out to be. 

It's no conspiracy but certainly lots of continuous cock-ups which fuel speculation. 

I fully agree with what you say. We know people in the UK who have had it, wife was a nurse in the UK for 25 years and many of her friends are still there in the thick of it.

I also know people, older, retired, my age and above who sound totally depressed. They have been classed as vulnerable - after the brief summer respite they are back in lockdown again. Totally alone and miserable and lacking exercise, poor diet, cut off from social (face to face) interaction. Not great with technology, not getting to GP for ongoing care. Not all totally due to Covid, but a depression and isolation that's sapping their energy and will to do anything

• Sad 1

I think it is the right thing to do, try and get on top of it now rather than being locked down for weeks and weeks because it has got out of control. You only need to look at the media to see how it took over in the UK and we really do not want that to happen here. Last years lock down was bad enough. At the end of the day its 3 days, so no different to a long weekend really.

Cal x

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The alternative is to do what NSW did and let life go on as normal while they track and trace - and look how that turned out.   Not a huge number of reported  cases, but it's probably all over Sydney (there's Covid in the sewage in 36 suburbs), and Melbourne has had two separate outbreaks caused by the Avalon cluster.  And that's not the highly infectious variant. 

This is the point. Few new NSW cases, linked to known clusters. These clusters starting up, not really going anywhere.

A measured response because they largely identified the spreaders (not in a ll cases) and can focus the areas for lockdown, track and trace and target the message.

Greater Brisbane is in full lockdown. To me, way over the top. The endless messages start to become noise. The UK (and US) kicked off to a large extent because people gave up with the endless stick and restrictions and started to ignore the rules. 

Edited by davlap

24 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I think it is the right thing to do, try and get on top of it now rather than being locked down for weeks and weeks because it has got out of control. You only need to look at the media to see how it took over in the UK and we really do not want that to happen here. Last years lock down was bad enough. At the end of the day its 3 days, so no different to a long weekend really.

Cal x

It kind of is. But the point of my post is the cost in collateral damage. To people and businesses. Even before anything has actully really happened.

On our local suburb  FB group -  25k north of the CBD

"Aldi at 10:30 this morning. All the produce, meat and Toilet paper was flying out the shop."

Some of the comments on there are getting pretty nasty.

We keep hearing about the community spirit in Aus when there are natural disasters. This is the other extreme. Everybody for themselves.

Not sure how healthy this is for communities, not just now, but long into the future.

I don't for one minute subscribe to the conspiracy theory, or the claims of fake news. Nor do I agree with herd immunity. Just maybe look at a bigger picture and act when its needed (no- not when its too late)

Edited by davlap

Personally I think its a no brainer, wait and see if more cases develop, and if they do rely on hope that you can contain it leading to a possible months long lockdown. Or lockdown for a few days, identify any cases that develop and know with certainty you've contained the outbreak with minimal (by minimal I mean a few days) disruption, rather than months long uncertainty and the inevitable impact on business and mental health that would have. All but NSW seem to take the view that the latter apprach is better and I suspect if NSW starts seeing clusters grow, their view will change wuite quickly to a lockdown approach. People respond to clear and decisive action, the lack of compliance in the UK was due to dithering, mixed messaging, lack of clarity and lack of consistency. 

• Like 1

Definitely the right thing to do. Get in top of it straight away. Don't forget this strain of covid spreads much quicker than the NSW/VIC strain. Yes what's 3 days. Leaving it to spread would put us in a much harder position. Don't need premiers like Andrews who dither and leave things too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davlap said:

It kind of is. But the point of my post is the cost in collateral damage. To people and businesses. Even before anything has actully really happened.

On our local suburb  FB group -  25k north of the CBD

"Aldi at 10:30 this morning. All the produce, meat and Toilet paper was flying out the shop."

Some of the comments on there are getting pretty nasty.

We keep hearing about the community spirit in Aus when there are natural disasters. This is the other extreme. Everybody for themselves.

Not sure how healthy this is for communities, not just now, but long into the future.

I don't for one minute subscribe to the conspiracy theory, or the claims of fake news. Nor do I agree with herd immunity. Just maybe look at a bigger picture and act when its needed (no- not when its too late)

I would rather be fighting over a loaf of bread rather than fighting over a ventilator to keep a loved one alive, but i agree their are some idiots out there panic buying in huge amounts.

Most communities bounced back fine after the 3 month lock down, so if everyone does the right thing ,this 3 day lockdown is nothing. (says me, sat here ringing and emailing parents to re- arrange all classes i had scheduled to start back tomorrow !)

Its funny as yesterday when they (government) announced about this new case being the more easily spreadable UK strain, lots of comments were popping up from people saying and ''what you going to do about it anna? posting about it does nothing''.. Now she has done something people are complaining!! Damned if they do, damned if they don't. You can never please everyone so i guess all we can do is follow the advice in an attempt to save lives.

Cal x

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I would rather be fighting over a loaf of bread rather than fighting over a ventilator to keep a loved one alive, but i agree their are some idiots out there panic buying in huge amounts.

Most communities bounced back fine after the 3 month lock down, so if everyone does the right thing ,this 3 day lockdown is nothing. (says me, sat here ringing and emailing parents to re- arrange all classes i had scheduled to start back tomorrow !)

Its funny as yesterday when they (government) announced about this new case being the more easily spreadable UK strain, lots of comments were popping up from people saying and ''what you going to do about it anna? posting about it does nothing''.. Now she has done something people are complaining!! Damned if they do, damned if they don't. You can never please everyone so i guess all we can do is follow the advice in an attempt to save lives.

Cal x

Shouldn’t the super markets be policing quantities people buy like last time ? I am sure there is more than enough to go round , but I suppose you can’t fix stupid. 
much rather have a short sharp lockdown than what Victoria had  to endure . 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Shouldn’t the super markets be policing quantities people buy like last time ? I am sure there is more than enough to go round , but I suppose you can’t fix stupid. 
much rather have a short sharp lockdown than what Victoria had  to endure . 

To be honest i think even the supermarkets were caught off guard, no one really expected this lockdown i dont think, it certainly took me by surprise anyway.

Cal x

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

People are really stupid, aren't they?  Who on earth needs to stockpile anything for a lockdown that lasts THREE WHOLE DAYS?

Going off Facebook the local supermarkets shelves are now nearly empty.. All i went for is facemasks as its the first time we have been told we HAVE to wear them if leaving the house in the next 3 days. Cheeky sales person was just marking up the prices as i walked in too as he said he only had a few left !!! I have never bought them before but paid $35 for a box of a 50 (thats all he had in and chemist was sold out) so dont know if that's expensive or not but either way if stops me getting sick its worth it.

Cal x

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

People are really stupid, aren't they?  Who on earth needs to stockpile anything for a lockdown that lasts THREE WHOLE DAYS?

If there are no more cases. If we get to double figures (or even less), watch this space !

If it is the more virulent strain there are surely going to be more, given the places visited.

If not, what does it mean? Will anybody listen any more (yes I know, might be eating those words in a day or two)

Edited by davlap

11 minutes ago, davlap said:

If there are no more cases. If we get to double figures (or even less), watch this space !

If it is the more virulent strain there are surely going to be more, given the places visited.

If not, what does it mean? Will anybody listen any more (yes I know, might be eating those words in a day or two)

If there are no more cases everyone will be very relieved and no harm done by a 3 day lockdown. A better outcome than no lockdown and multiple new cases emerge, with tens or hundreds of new contacts and possible cases as a result.

• Like 2

This is how you do good track and trace to control a respiratory virus pandemic. It is a sensible option.

South African variant is different to UK one and looks like it actually spreads even more easily.

Sorry to say it but your brother and the covid conspiracy theorists are dangerous idiots.

There are many examples through history to show you that early, seemingly harsh social restrictions in pandemics lead to the best economic outcomes.

• Like 3

My opinion is 'prudent' given that Australia has put all her eggs into one basket from Day 1, and so much time, effort and money has been invested in containing outbreaks of this virus. So far we've been very lucky here in Queensland and enjoyed a relatively normal existence compared with the rest of the world, even Victoria, so a 3-day lockdown seems a small sacrifice if it nips it in the bud. We Queenslanders should appreciate the freedom we've enjoyed for the last 6 months rather than complaining about 3 days. Remember what we're dealing with here is 'Brovid'. It's far more contagious than Covid, and the first time Britain has created anything 70% more effective than the Chinese in decades!

What I find surprising is that the Premier announced this morning that the lockdown would start at 6pm this evening, giving thousands of Brisbanites the opportunity to flee the capital for the weekend, potential spreading the virus to the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and other states - the highways were gridlocked this afternoon. If the situation is that serious that a full lockdown is required, then surely it should start immediately? Not after everyone has had chance to buy up all the toilet rolls and stop off for after-work drinks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I agree with you there. But it's if the lockdown gets extended. Anna mentioned it will be at least til Monday 6pm but could be longer.But it's still no reason to clear the shelves.

• Like 1

I've had a good run in Surfers, since July, no hint of a problem. Now it may have come to an end. Surfers is practically a suburb of Brisbane and many people here commute to work there or have just gone up there since Jan 2nd. I went into a place tonight, signing in as I usually do. On the way out a woman was coming in and the security guy said, "Have you been in Brisbane this week?"