Accessing government schools

Lowz

My husband and I are in the early stages of looking into moving to Brisbane .  We have two children (age 8 and 3) and hope to move the end of this year.

I am a little  confused as to what our situation would be in them accessing government schooling. We are both on the required skills list so hope to be sponsored. Could they start straight away in government school if we aren’t permanent residents? Can you get permanent residency  straight away? Are we likely to have to pay for schooling until we become permanent residents? If so how much is it likely to be?

thanks in advance :) 

If you have two children, then it wouldn't be wise to move on an employer-sponsored visa (482).   It is only a temporary visa for 2 to 4 years, then you go home.  There is a possibility that you may be able to apply to get permanent residency after the 482, but it is far from guaranteed (it used to be a lot more certain, so you'll still see some out-of-date websites suggesting it as a viable option).    For a family, the cost to move over to Australia and back again, within a few years, would be prohibitively expensive (unless one of you is highly qualified and therefore can find an employer willing to pay your relocation expenses both ways).  

If you want to move permanently, then you need to apply for a skilled visa (189, 190 or 491).  There's no point looking for a job before you get the visa, because the whole process will take a year or more, and no employer is going to wait that long. 

If you get a 491 (the easiest of the three to get, since it's only provisional and you have to serve a kind of probation for a few years) then in some states, you'll have to pay school fees.  If you get the 189 or 190, you're permanent residents as soon as you arrive in Australia.  

Your best first step is to book a consultation with a migration agent to see whether you can even qualify for a visa, and of so, what your chances are.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

To explain what that means:  there's a shortlist of occupations which Australia accepts, and one of you must have an occupation on that list, otherwise it's no dice.   Even if one of you does have an occupation on the list, it's not just a case of applying and you'll get a place.  It's competitive, like applying for a job.  There's a points system, and only the people with the highest points get picked.  You're allowed to apply with only 65 points - but in recent years, competition has been so fierce for the 189 visa, only people with 90 points have stood any chance at all. Everyone else just loses their money.  The 190 and 491 are more variable and an agent will know what the chances are for different occupations.

• Like 1

I should add that currently, you can't even get a 482 visa. Employers aren't offering them, owing to the fact that 482 holders aren't allowed into the country during the border closures. The only exception is people in the medical field.    

As for the permanent visas, if you apply now, you'll be looking at a possible visa grant some time in 2022. 

Marisawright has said it in a nutshell.  If you do decide on a temporary visa - one assumes you would be looking at a working visa and not a student visa - then some states charge you to put your kids in a government school.  At the moment, Queensland does not but just across the border in NSW you would be paying about $6k pa per child and, in NSW anyway, not guaranteed a place in your local school if it is oversubscribed.  If you were thinking of going down the student route then I hope you are well heeled because you would be paying through the nose for international fees and you would be paying for schooling for the kids (about $8k+) and not allowed to work more than 20 hpw (unless you are doing a Masters or above). Best talk to an agent and chase a permanent visa though the chances of you moving at the end of this year would be rather slim even at the best of non-Covid times.  These things take time!

Thank you that too is very helpful.

Maybe i should give a bit of a background to our professions.

i am a registered paediatirc nurse And health visitor so would be applying to register as a nurse is aus. I have  been a registered  nurse for over 10 years.

my husband is a software engineer - technical director which is a role he has been in for many years now.

I will certainly be making an appointment with an agent to discuss our options further. Thank you

12 hours ago, Lowz said:

Thank you that too is very helpful.

Maybe i should give a bit of a background to our professions.

i am a registered paediatirc nurse And health visitor so would be applying to register as a nurse is aus. I have  been a registered  nurse for over 10 years.

my husband is a software engineer - technical director which is a role he has been in for many years now.

I will certainly be making an appointment with an agent to discuss our options further. Thank you

With your occupations ,i would be asking an agent about PR visa's rather than sponsored. A PR visa gives you more security when moving with a family and also gives you much more flexibility with work options.

Good luck with everything

Cal.

• Like 1

I would get on and get in touch with an agent asap with you as the primary applicant.

You should probably go for a 190. The website you need is https://migration.qld.gov.au

You have being a nurse in your corner at the moment but being offshore is a bit of a knockout blow.

The reason I say do things asap is you should try and be ready to go by 25th Jan! (I know!) It is unlikely that offshore EOIs will be entertained in this round but if the desire to grab healthcare workers and other occupations that can help with covid outstrips the border restrictions for covid then there may be a window where you can apply. Also, having a deadline always gets things moving. 

The other hurdle will be getting accreditation and through the AHPRA maze but start eating the elephant one bite at a time...

Opinions expressed are my own and may not be those of my employer.

• Like 2