Needing guidance in moving to Australia

Leslie Sutherland

Hi,

I have done plenty of googling but I seem to come out more confused.

I want to move permanently to Australia (Brisbane) from Scotland my brother and his young family live there now and became permanent residents in 2018 and covid has taught me to grab what I have with both hands.

A year so far not seeing any of my family and 1.5 years since I saw my niece with no end in sight has me pushing this move (missing so much in a toddlers life is heart breaking)

Anyway I digress-

Where do I start? I don’t want to move without a job but so far I have been told to get a job I need to be in the country with working rights. 
I am an Accounts & Administration Manager in hospitality and before that in construction. And just need to know:

As a 42yrs single female:

What visa?

what recruitment company can help with a job and potentially the visa?

And any other advice people recommend.

I realise covid is not in my favour but hoping for a 2021 miracle 

Thanks 

I feel for you. Many of us have missed or are missing family overseas because of the pandemic. My wife and I were stuck on opposite sides of the world for 6 months, although she made it here in the end.

Based on what you've stated above, you don't seem to have any skills that would get you over here as a skilled migrant, and your age is against you. The problem with being offered a job here is that the Australian company needs to prove that there isn't a suitably-qualified Australian for the job, before they can sponsor you. However, there are many visas available and you might qualify for one, so your first stop should be a registered migration agent. While I was in the UK I briefly used the services of the following company, and the gentleman I spoke to (Laurence Robertson) was very friendly and helpful. They are based in Edinburgh, which could be useful for you.

https://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/

It probably sounds a bit drastic but given that you're single, possibly your best shot at getting in is to marry an Aussie - I'm sure it's been done before! 😄 

• Like 1

Wanderer returns is pretty much spot on.

You would struggle to get enough points for a skilled visa and your age is against you. I'm expecting even more people than usual will be applying for emigration from the UK and the number of places available have been cut.

There's a quick checklist you can fill in from the Aussie embassy, pobably online, that gives you an idea of how many points you would get. If you don't reach the requirements you might waste lots of money applying to be disappointed. That happened to my sisters family.

• Like 1

It's probably bad news, I'm afraid.   

If you want to move permanently, you need a skilled visa (a 189, 190 or 491).   No point in finding a job first, because it takes 12 months+ to get one of those visas, and no employer is going to wait that long.  To even be allowed to apply, you must be qualified and experienced in an occupation that's on the skilled list.  If not, you can't migrate permanently, end of story.  

If you just want to spend a few years in Australia, you can find an employer who's willing to sponsor you for a temporary visa (a 482), but that's only for 2 to 4 years, then you go home. However you'll have to wait until the borders open, as temporary visa holders aren't allowed into the country right now, even with a job to go to. To be honest, I wouldn't fancy your chances of finding an employer willing to sponsor you, as there's a lot more age discrimination in Australia compared to the UK, especially if you're a middle-aged woman.   

There is a Last Remaining Relative Visa but even if you qualify for that, the waiting time is about 50 years.  You could arrive in Australia on a tourist visa (once the borders open) and apply for that visa onshore - then you'd be allowed to stay on a bridging visa, which would allow you to stay while you wait.  But that would mean living in a twilight zone for the rest of your life, no longer legally a UK resident but not a permanent resident of Australia either, so not eligible for benefits anywhere and possibly not allowed to work.