Moving to Australia on 417 while waiting for 309?

dylanf

So I am an Australian/UK citizen and my partner of 6 years is a UK citizen.

We would like to move to Oz in spring 2022. My partner would like to apply for the 309 partner Visa. 

The current wait times are 18 months so it's highly unlikely that she will get the Visa in time.

Would it be possible for her to apply for a working holiday visa (417) and wait until we get the result of the 309?

Then leave the country for the visa to be granted?

Apply for it right now (today!!!) and keep your fingers crossed. Far better to arrive on a permanent visa and be entitled to everything when you arrive than hoping to get in on a visitor visa and lingering even longer on a bridging visa.  If you've been together a while you shouldn't have a problem.  If it hasn't arrived and you desperately need to go then she can go as a visitor and then leave the country when it's approved. Much safer.

Edited by Quoll

3 hours ago, dylanf said:

My partner would like to apply for the 309 partner Visa. 

The current wait times are 18 months so it's highly unlikely that she will get the Visa in time.

The quoted wait time is misleading, because it includes high-risk countries where extra security checks are required.   If you're applying from the UK, the process is faster (though Covid is affecting that).  As Quoll says, the best advice is to apply for the 309 today and see what happens.   You might be lucky and it will come through, problem solved.

If your move date is approaching and it's not approved yet, there is nothing to stop her applying for a tourist visa or WHV to allow her to enter Australia.  You just have to be careful, because the granting of one visa will cancel the other.  So for instance, if she gets a WHV and then the 309 is granted, the WHV is automatically cancelled (which is not a problem). HOWEVER, let's say she applies for the WHV and while she's waiting for it to be approved, the 309 is granted.   Then the next day, the WHV approval comes through and bam, the 309 is cancelled!   You'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen but you have to be aware that it's possible.