309 visa and travel to & from Australia during Covid times

dutchy

My partner, Lisa, has been fortunate to have been granted her 309 Partner Visa after submitting it in August.

Based on the current situation, including border controls, can anyone help with any of the following:

1. Is Lisa able to enter Australia without obtaining an official travel exemption? (ie. will the 309 grant letter be enough to get through immigration?)
  2. Is Lisa required to remain in Australia for a specified/set period of time, or can she leave to return overseas to her home country the UK?
  • Understanding a requirement of the 309 Partner visa remains that we “live together or not live separately or apart on a permanent basis”.  However in the current COVID climate where employment and travel opportunities are limited – it would be necessary for Lisa to return to the UK for job/property responsibilities.
  1. When leaving Australia will Lisa be required to have an exemption, or is she free to leave without any form of approval?   The intention is she would return later in 2021

Any assistance or advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated

30 minutes ago, dutchy said:

My partner, Lisa, has been fortunate to have been granted her 309 Partner Visa after submitting it in August.

Based on the current situation, including border controls, can anyone help with any of the following:

1. Is Lisa able to enter Australia without obtaining an official travel exemption? (ie. will the 309 grant letter be enough to get through immigration?)
  2. Is Lisa required to remain in Australia for a specified/set period of time, or can she leave to return overseas to her home country the UK?
  • Understanding a requirement of the 309 Partner visa remains that we “live together or not live separately or apart on a permanent basis”.  However in the current COVID climate where employment and travel opportunities are limited – it would be necessary for Lisa to return to the UK for job/property responsibilities.
  1. When leaving Australia will Lisa be required to have an exemption, or is she free to leave without any form of approval?   The intention is she would return later in 2021

Any assistance or advice on these matters would be greatly appreciated

In short:

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

Thanks for the information. Lisa and I have been apart for over 12 months due to covid so we desperately want to see each other as soon as possible.

Logic says its better to delay the visit and get things sorted but our hearts are saying drop everything now and be together in person for a short time given we have been lucky with the Visa being granted within 6 months.

This way after a 2-3 month stay, Lisa can return home to the UK to sort out job, property and financial matters before returning with the intention of residing in Australia.permanently 

Understandably their would be negatives relating to quarantining twice and double the flight expense however these are only considerations if the 309 Visa allows this.

Based upon Paul's feedback it seems our thinking fits within the requirements of the 309 visa.

Can anyone see any other potential issues with this approach? THANKS

5 hours ago, psuwara said:

It would be interesting to hear experiences of people in Quarantine in Australia.

You basically cannot leave your room for two weeks, this is quite difficult! Especially if you or your partner are pregnant.

We have a couple of members who have done it and neither said it was dreadful. If i can find the threads i will post links below.

Cal x

• Thanks 1

It would be interesting to hear experiences of people in Quarantine in Australia.

You basically cannot leave your room for two weeks, this is quite difficult! Especially if you or your partner are pregnant.

We recently completed a two week quarantine in Brisbane, and enjoyed it.

Our room was nice, lovely bathroom, food varied from really good to not so good, but overall we were happy to be fed & watered.

We were allowed out everyday, up on to the roof of the hotel for a good half hour. We were able to run / walk around up there and enjoy the view. 

I suppose it depends on what hotel you end up at, but we had no complaints and took the opportunity to wind down, relax and just enjoy the experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, calNgary said:

We have a couple of members who have done it and neither said it was dreadful. If i can find the threads i will post links below.

Cal x

Cal this is Laver's thread.  He and his wife and 2 young daughters did two weeks quarantine in Melbourne then another 2 weeks in Adelaide.  It couldn't have been easy but he never whinged about it once.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/211034-life-in-quarantine-melbourne/?tab=comments#comment-2576396

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, psuwara said:

I’ve no idea why being pregnant would make it any harder 🤔 it’s not an illness and it certainly doesn’t require extra freedom than anyone else needs. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 06/01/2021 at 11:38, Toots said:

Cal this is Laver's thread.  He and his wife and 2 young daughters did two weeks quarantine in Melbourne then another 2 weeks in Adelaide.  It couldn't have been easy but he never whinged about it once.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/211034-life-in-quarantine-melbourne/?tab=comments#comment-2576396

Thanks for this. Good to see people don't have too much trouble with it.

I've reviewed the Government support sites on this, and there is plenty there that helps with the isolation (cabin fever). Helping with planning your day by day activities. I think we'll be fine! 🙂

On 06/01/2021 at 11:52, Tulip1 said:

I’ve no idea why being pregnant would make it any harder 🤔 it’s not an illness and it certainly doesn’t require extra freedom than anyone else needs. 

Ah... if you need medical attention? Generally when pregnant you need additional support from family, being isolated is stressful. That's my thinking anyway.

We have considered a request for home isolation instead. But I think the Government support should be enough.

Edited by psuwara

On 06/01/2021 at 11:38, AliQ said:

We recently completed a two week quarantine in Brisbane, and enjoyed it.

Our room was nice, lovely bathroom, food varied from really good to not so good, but overall we were happy to be fed & watered.

We were allowed out everyday, up on to the roof of the hotel for a good half hour. We were able to run / walk around up there and enjoy the view. 

I suppose it depends on what hotel you end up at, but we had no complaints and took the opportunity to wind down, relax and just enjoy the experience.

Thanks for the update! We are flying to Melbourne in April, so perhaps the rooftop thing won't be as nice! 🙂

Appreciate the supportive and insightful information. Many thanks.

Ah... if you need medical attention? Generally when pregnant you need additional support from family, being isolated is stressful. That's my thinking anyway.

We have considered a request for home isolation instead. But I think the Government support should be enough.

Anyone who is in need of medical attention would get it so that’s one thing you don’t have to worry about. It’s maybe nice to have additional support from family when pregnant but I wouldn’t agree with ‘generally you need’.  Depends where you’re living now but if it is in the UK or indeed many other countries then that support would only be via phone calls/facetime because visiting other people’s houses isn’t allowed. Those same phone calls can take place whether you’re in quarantine or in your own home. Even if you’re currently living with that support or will eventually be living with that support you wouldn’t be with them in the quarantine/isolation period whether you’re in a hotel room or a house. I’d say having a supportive partner with you at these times is by far the most important thing.  I hope it all goes well for you and wish you the best of luck.

On 09/01/2021 at 01:03, Tulip1 said:

Anyone who is in need of medical attention would get it so that’s one thing you don’t have to worry about. It’s maybe nice to have additional support from family when pregnant but I wouldn’t agree with ‘generally you need’.  Depends where you’re living now but if it is in the UK or indeed many other countries then that support would only be via phone calls/facetime because visiting other people’s houses isn’t allowed. Those same phone calls can take place whether you’re in quarantine or in your own home. Even if you’re currently living with that support or will eventually be living with that support you wouldn’t be with them in the quarantine/isolation period whether you’re in a hotel room or a house. I’d say having a supportive partner with you at these times is by far the most important thing.  I hope it all goes well for you and wish you the best of luck.

Thanks @Tulip1. Appreciate the kind words.

The issue is that we may need analysis and blood tests done to make sure everything is ok also, so currently looking around to see if there is any info or visiting doctors, referrals for blood tests, etc... We are packing all our meds with us + more just in case.