Moving back to oz

Chris 2020 oz

We was planning on moving back to oz this year. We moved back to the uk 2 and a half years ago due to a family issue. We currently are waiting on a child 101 visa for my son who was born in the UK. We applied March last year before the pandemic. 

With the uncertain visa process time and the quarentine rules on returning to oz. I'm unsure if it will happen this year. Which is hearbraking.

Is there anyone with any ideas on how long the hotel quarentine will be in place and there are any alternatives to the 101 visa. As we r both permanent residents.

• Like 3

Hotel quarantine is likely to stay in place for many months yet. My guess would be the end of 2021.  

Hotel quarantine exists because Covid is rampant outside Australia and almost non-existent here, and Australians want to keep it that way.    The government tried allowing people to self-quarantine at home and too many people cheated, so they're not going to risk that again.   So it stands to reason they won't get rid of hotel quarantine until Covid is under control in the rest of the world, and I don't see that happening any time soon. 

As permanent residents, you have an automatic right to enter Australia and so will your son once he gets his visa.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Hotel quarantine is likely to stay in place for many months yet. My guess would be the end of 2021.  

Hotel quarantine exists because Covid is rampant outside Australia and almost non-existent here, and Australians want to keep it that way.    The government tried allowing people to self-quarantine at home and too many people cheated, so they're not going to risk that again.   So it stands to reason they won't get rid of hotel quarantine until Covid is under control in the rest of the world, and I don't see that happening any time soon. 

As permanent residents, you have an automatic right to enter Australia and so will your son once he gets his visa.

Yea I completely understand. I'm hopeing this vaccine will help matters and maybe be able to reduce the time and cost of quarentine. Hopefully my sons visa will be granted within a few more mo ths and we will be able to make a decision from there. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, Chris 2020 oz said:

We was planning on moving back to oz this year. We moved back to the uk 2 and a half years ago due to a family issue. We currently are waiting on a child 101 visa for my son who was born in the UK. We applied March last year before the pandemic. 

With the uncertain visa process time and the quarentine rules on returning to oz. I'm unsure if it will happen this year. Which is hearbraking.

Is there anyone with any ideas on how long the hotel quarentine will be in place and there are any alternatives to the 101 visa. As we r both permanent residents.

Hi guys 

we have a couple of members who have recently made the move and done the hotel quarantine, have a look for their posts in Aussie Chat as from what they said its not as bad as you think it may be.

Good luck with the visa for your son, i hope it comes through soon then you can make some definate plans. From what people have said securing a flight and it actually taking off is the hardest bit at the moment.

Cal x

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chris 2020 oz said:

Yea I completely understand. I'm hopeing this vaccine will help matters and maybe be able to reduce the time and cost of quarentine. Hopefully my sons visa will be granted within a few more mo ths and we will be able to make a decision from there. 

Cheers

From what I understand, the vaccines are different from usual vaccines.  They stop you getting ill with Covid but they don't stop you carrying the infection and passing it on to someone else.  If that proves to be the case, then being vaccinated won't change anything.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

From what I understand, the vaccines are different from usual vaccines.  They stop you getting ill with Covid but they don't stop you carrying the infection and passing it on to someone else.  If that proves to be the case, then being vaccinated won't change anything.  

In theory, once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated we will hopefully see a sharp decline in deaths and serious illness to near negligible rates, at which point it would make no odds whether covid could be passed on or not. I'm sure the government wouldn't wish to continue with the current border closures and quarantine measures if the risk to the general public is no worse than the flu, which we've all lived with for centuries.

14 hours ago, Chris 2020 oz said:

Cheers

I'd not let the hotel quarantine influence your decision to return to Australia, if that's what you really want to do. It's short-term pain for some long-term gain, and you don't have to pay for it up front either (I think you get 30 days). I'd look at the costs involved in getting back here as an expensive holiday, as it will feel like a holiday once you arrive - at least for a short while!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I'd not let the hotel quarantine influence your decision to return to Australia, if that's what you really want to do. It's short-term pain for some long-term gain, and you don't have to pay for it up front either (I think you get 30 days). I'd look at the costs involved in getting back here as an expensive holiday, as it will feel like a holiday once you arrive - at least for a short while!

Agree with @Wanderer Returns. There's no sign of the quarantine requirement being removed or shortened, so for now, the cost will need to be factored in as part of the overall move costs. Otherwise you can't plan, because there's no indication of when all this might 'go away'. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone 

The main thing holding us back now is my sons 101 visa. I've called and all they could tell me that it is being processed. It states that he must be out of the country when applied for and when a decision is made. I'm wondering if there are any loop holes. We are in temporary accommodation and its getting harder as time passes. We applied before covid but after the pandemic the processing times have increased. Bloody covid.

13 hours ago, Chris 2020 oz said:

Thanks everyone 

The main thing holding us back now is my sons 101 visa. I've called and all they could tell me that it is being processed. It states that he must be out of the country when applied for and when a decision is made. I'm wondering if there are any loop holes. We are in temporary accommodation and its getting harder as time passes. We applied before covid but after the pandemic the processing times have increased. Bloody covid.

I don't think there are any loop holes as the condition is to be off shore, travel is still restricted.-

11 minutes ago, ali said:

I don't think there are any loop holes as the condition is to be off shore, travel is still restricted.-

The child should be able to travel on a 600 or similar short-stay visa with an entry exemption as the direct family member of a PR or citizen.  Once onshore they can then apply for PR.  But of course this will mean paying for the 101 visa twice.

Update: Given that Home Affairs has announced that 101 visa applicants may be able to obtain the visa onshore, they may not have to pay for it twice:

https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/alantudge/Pages/Further-changes-to-support-Family-visa-applicants-.aspx

Edited by rtritudr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rtritudr said:

The child should be able to travel on a 600 or similar short-stay visa with an entry exemption as the direct family member of a PR or citizen.  Once onshore they can then apply for PR.  But of course this will mean paying for the 101 visa twice.

Update: Given that Home Affairs has announced that 101 visa applicants may be able to obtain the visa onshore, they may not have to pay for it twice:

https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/alantudge/Pages/Further-changes-to-support-Family-visa-applicants-.aspx

I was also trying to think of a way around it too and what you're suggesting might work. Is the government still issuing 600s at the moment though? The processing time for a 101 is currently 24-30 months, so I empathize with the OPs frustration.

8 hours ago, rtritudr said:

Thank you for that information. Thats a bit of a game changer. He can travel to Australia he's just not allowed to be in the country when the decision is made. If they have changed that rule then he should get accepted while in the country. 

Thanks alot. 

1 hour ago, Chris 2020 oz said:

Thank you for that information. Thats a bit of a game changer. He can travel to Australia he's just not allowed to be in the country when the decision is made. If they have changed that rule then he should get accepted while in the country. 

At this point it's only a press release.  Until the minister releases the details you shouldn't bet your house on it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The day we get the boys visa we will be looking to book shipping. Hoping to get to oz for September. My aussie friends have told me the economy has picked up somewhat and I can get a job easy enough now. Just waiting for the bloody visa. The  UK is not a great place at the moment.

Edited by Chris 2020 oz