Excited and a bit confused on which visa to apply for

Wackadoodle

Hi folks, 

Myself and my husband have decided to make the move to Australia. I am a Nurse (bachelor degree) mainly based in emergency with 3 years exp and a post grad in emergency nursing. My husband is a diesel fitter with almost 20 years exp. we are both in our mid thirties and we have two girls aged 11. 

We lived in Australia for 3 years previously on a 457 visa, ultimately moving home due to homesickness on my husbands part, however he has bitterly regretted moving back ever since. I started studying nursing as soon as we arrived back in Ireland so we were committed to staying until I qualified and gained some experience.  

We are now finally in a position financially to make the move back to Australia, ideally back to Queensland. My husband has started his skills assessment process. I will be starting mine in the next few weeks. We are hoping to apply for a 190 visa. 

Time wise we are hoping to be able to make the move by June 2022

Has anyone made the move with tweenagers? If so how did you find it ? Have to say am quite nervous for them though they seem to have quite a sensible attitude towards a possible move so far. 

Anyone have any advice regards the visa choice? Is it worth also applying for a temporary visa? Have heard it may be next to impossible to get flights into Australia unless it’s a permanent visa 

If you apply with you as the primary applicant, you've got a good chance.  Very few visas are being approved currently - but doctors and nurses are the exception. Though we don't have a big Covid problem here, Australia is still beefing up its healthcare provisions in case it gets out of control here. 

I'd say, with kids, that you're better off going for the permanent visa.  If you get a temp visa and something goes wrong (e.g. they change the rules again, which they do every year), you'd have to head home just when your children are at a critical stage in their education. Better to wait for the permanent visa and know that you can move over and get settled for good. 

In these difficult times, I'd recommend getting an agent to help you with the application.  It is a bit of an extra expense but in the scheme of things, worth it for peace of mind. They're more up to date than anyone on what's happening, too.  Try Suncoast Migration, Go Matilda or Pinoy Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

I agree with Marisa in that if you can the PR route is always the best one - it gives you the freedom to move on if you don't like a place/job/area.  We moved with an 11 year old (albeit almost 14 years ago) and it will depend on the type of child you had.  For ours, it was important to keep her informed of the milestones e.g. applying for the visa.  Her biggest worry (at 11) was not finishing primary school and missing leavers service (both of which she was able to do).   At the time, here in WA, year 7 was the last year of primary school, so it meant for her, starting HS for 3 months then going back to primary - she took this in her stride and says it was great that she was able to make some friends, get to know the system.  She'd missed (the year before) the entry test for the Academic Extension Program at the high school but was recommended by her primary teacher and was invited to test/interview so didn't miss out (it was something we weren't aware that they had here).  

Thanks Marisa, will definitely touch base so with an agent to help us through the next few months. Good point re permanent vs provisional. It would be awful to have some new rule scupper our chances of settling. Unfortunately don’t think I can be the primary applicant as don’t have the required 5 years experience for Queensland. I suppose realistically we may have to consider other states to increase our chances. 

Thank you Ali, That’s actually a big thing for our girls also,  they’ve been with the same bunch of kids throughout primary school and it’s important to them to finish up with their friends. It’s not a massively big ask considering we are essentially moving them to the other side of the world so we are aiming to let them finish up primary here hence the June 2022 leaving date. Will definitely have to do some more research regarding the Australia school system. I have friends in Queensland with school aged children from our stint there about 7 years ago. 

49 minutes ago, Wackadoodle said:

Thanks Marisa, will definitely touch base so with an agent to help us through the next few months. Good point re permanent vs provisional. It would be awful to have some new rule scupper our chances of settling. Unfortunately don’t think I can be the primary applicant as don’t have the required 5 years experience for Queensland. I suppose realistically we may have to consider other states to increase our chances. 

See what the agent says.  Currently, medical professionals are getting visas, but almost no one else is even getting looked at.   When they do start processing again, there'll be a huge backlog of existing applications.  Of course, it's a competition, not an orderly queue - so if your husband has a high point score, he can leapfrog over those earlier applications.  But if his point score isn't up in the 90's, he may be waiting a very long time.  Always assuming his occupation is even on the list by that time, which no one can predict. Some trades have already been removed, and with the predicted recession, who knows what they may do next.

That's the thing to bear in mind when considering your time frame.  If you are serious about migrating, don't delay.   Remember that once you get your visa, all you have to do is make a flying visit to activate it - then you have a whole 5 years to plan your permanent move.  

Would NSW be an option for you?  The north coast has several nice towns with a similar climate and lifestyle to Queensland. 

Edited by Marisawright

I cannot see Diesel fitter coming off the list anytime soon, UK diesel mechanics are certainly in demand here if they know their stuff and diesel fitter has been on the list forever. (hubby came under diesel fitter 14 years ago).

Where did you go last time you were here? and would you be looking to head back to the same area? You certainly cannot beat QLD right now for its freedom and weather.

Lots of luck with the move, the girls being 11 shouldnt be too bad, it seems to be when they hit 13/14yrs+ a move can create a few problems.

Cal x

Thanks Calngary,  Fingers crossed diesel fitter stays on the list. We lived in Mackay, Queensland previously. Ideally would aim to move back there as the children have connections there already that we hope would make the move a bit easier for them. I loved the QLD lifestyle when we lived there before  

Marisa would definitely consider NSW if QLD is not an option. My husband has 90 points so hopefully that will help his application. Will have to try to minimise delays from this end and get the ball rolling ASAP 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wackadoodle said:

Thanks Calngary,  Fingers crossed diesel fitter stays on the list. We lived in Mackay, Queensland previously. Ideally would aim to move back there as the children have connections there already that we hope would make the move a bit easier for them. I loved the QLD lifestyle when we lived there before  

Marisa would definitely consider NSW if QLD is not an option. My husband has 90 points so hopefully that will help his application. Will have to try to minimise delays from this end and get the ball rolling ASAP 

Did your hubby work at Mackay Diesels by any chance?

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived here with kids of 15, 13 and 10 but they were all totally in favour. Second child especially as his birthday in November meant he skipped forward a whole school year! Hahaha 😂

Fortunately they make friends really easily and are now more Australian than English, but still have English accents.

My first grandchild arrived 18 months ago, the first Aussie born of my family

• Like 1