mattyhurds

Which Australian Visa to apply for?

Hi,

My wife, 14 year old and I are starting to look into the idea of moving to Australia.

I’ve previously travelled and worked there on a working holiday visa in 2012. Within this visa, I worked for 4 months on a farm, but I think this in no longer valid due to my age.

For work I am a fully qualified Quantity Surveyor and I’m also going through my chartership and will hopefully be MRICS in the next year. My wife is an Interior Designer and is also qualified as a teaching assistant. Our son is currently in year 10 in High School, so depending on the time scale of the process, he will likely be at the age where he’s looking at college courses.

Also my sister and brother in law after marrying in the UK, moved to Australia and now have dual citizenship. They have lived in Australia for 10 years. They have two children who were both born in Australia.

Could anyone advise, on the best route for visas and whether moving to Australia is possible?

Regards,

Mathew

Have you looked to see if either of your jobs are on the skilled list.  This is the first thing to do because if not you’re very unlikely to be able to move there.  Once you’ve got past that first huddle I think it would make sense to speak with an agent, there are several who regularly comment on here that are highly regarded. 

Hi @mattyhurds I have changed the title of your thread so that you should hopefully get some replies once everyone wakes up in Australia which is where the majority of our migration agents are also based. 

Unfortunately the working holiday visa will no longer be accessible to you as you have a dependent child. 

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Having family in Australia makes little to no difference. For some visas, it may get you a few extra points but that's all. 

Your only hope of migration is a skilled visa.   There is a list of eligible occupations.  If your occupation isn't on the list, you can't migrate - it's that simple.

The good news is that Quantity Surveyor is on the list.   You will apply as the primary applicant, then the rest of the family will be tagged onto that application.  You'll need to score enough points, too, and that can be the snag.  Although you're allowed to apply with only 65 points, it's a competitive process.  For the last few years, there has been so much competition, only people with 90 points or more are even being considered.

The quickest way to sort it out is to book a consultation with a good migration agent.  Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.  The whole process can take a  year or more, so even though immigration is almost at a standstill right now, it's worth getting started on it asap.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Thanks for taking the time for reply and advice to seek professional migration advice.

I’ve just completed a points calculator (as best as I could) and my points came out at 75.

I’ll take on board your advice and speak with one of the companies you said.

Thanks again,

Mathew

5 hours ago, mattyhurds said:

Thanks for taking the time for reply and advice to seek professional migration advice.

I’ve just completed a points calculator (as best as I could) and my points came out at 75.

With only 75 points, you would stand absolutely no chance. However you may not have calculated correctly so see what an agent says

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Also worth noting I believe quantity surveyor has been flagged up as under review for the skilled list so may be removed. 

I came over on a sponsored temp visa as a QS but I was chartered by rics first which helped as they are affiliated with the aiqs which is the governing body.

My company is currently sponsoring my PR so worked out well so far.

let me know if I can help in anyway. 

On 28/01/2021 at 04:58, EJMac said:

Also worth noting I believe quantity surveyor has been flagged up as under review for the skilled list so may be removed. 

I came over on a sponsored temp visa as a QS but I was chartered by rics first which helped as they are affiliated with the aiqs which is the governing body.

My company is currently sponsoring my PR so worked out well so far.

let me know if I can help in anyway. 

Have you got a link to where it has been flagged for under review? I tried looking but I can't find it anywhere