simmo

so..... what's new?

55 minutes ago, newjez said:

Started week seven of couch to five K 

Running for 25 minutes now, but at a fairly slow speed.

I'm much better on a cycle run, but it's easier to go for a jog this time of year. Bike rides take two hours for me or its hardly worth it. Can't do that in my lunch hour.

I seem to be having troubles with my feet. I may need to invest in some better shoes 

When parkrun is back in your community that is a great local event. Free every Saturday morning 5km timed run.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

23 minutes ago, Parley said:

Why are they free ? And where do you draw the line.

Might as well make toilet paper free too.

I agree with this. It’s hardly a big cost each month, a few pounds at most. Perhaps men should get shaving stuff free too. I agree it shouldn’t be taxed but I’m not sure it should be free. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Toilet paper is free in schools.

Do you really think they should charge for it?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Sanitary wear is also free in schools if a pupil needs it.  From your earlier comment I think most would think you meant in general rather than just in school hours.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newjez said:

No one mentioned schools. It is not free in the supermarket is it ?

I don't get why governments go in for all these inefficient programs. I would just boost the social security payments for the poor to the level needed to pay for all the necessities of life. People then buy what they need in the shops.

The government thinking they need to distribute free tampons, toilet paper, hot meals and God knows what else is just creating a cottage industry for public servants.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

I don't get why governments go in for all these inefficient programs. I would just boost the social security payments for the poor to the level needed to pay for all the necessities of life. People then buy what they need in the shops.

The government thinking they need to distribute free tampons, toilet paper, hot meals and God knows what else is just creating a cottage industry for public servants.

In a perfect world parley. In a perfect world.

Sadly sometimes the children are the parents, and the parents the children.

Despite the remnants of a cyclone passing through Cairns, my reef snorkelling is apparently still pressing ahead tomorrow. The tour company say the weather in the mainland won't affect that out where we will be visiting on the reef. 

Looking forward to it 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Despite the remnants of a cyclone passing through Cairns, my reef snorkelling is apparently still pressing ahead tomorrow. The tour company say the weather in the mainland won't affect that out where we will be visiting on the reef. 

Looking forward to it 🙂

I did love that show. First thing I'd watch when I got back from school...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour

source: https://lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/gilligansislandlyrics.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Parley said:

They are free to offer dignity to those who cannot afford them, or to those who would have to choose between feeding their child or buying them. There's a very sad scene in the movie "I, Daniel Blake" linked to this. I realise some people will abuse this system as they do all others, but people who are suffering should not be denied health and hygiene because of the actions of a tiny minority.

Free toilet paper is a good idea, I would personally support this. As with free sanitary products you would likely find that most people wouldn't use the free option and just continue to buy their preferred brand, but for those that cannot afford it, it would be a blessing.

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s

21 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

They are free to offer dignity to those who cannot afford them, or to those who would have to choose between feeding their child or buying them. There's a very sad scene in the movie "I, Daniel Blake" linked to this. I realise some people will abuse this system as they do all others, but people who are suffering should not be denied health and hygiene because of the actions of a tiny minority.

Free toilet paper is a good idea, I would personally support this. As with free sanitary products you would likely find that most people wouldn't use the free option and just continue to buy their preferred brand, but for those that cannot afford it, it would be a blessing.

See my later post. It is a silly scheme. Just bump up their welfare payments a bit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Looking forward to it 🙂

So apparently the guy I previously spoke with had zero clue. Just just got a call from a lady saying he should have never said that and indeed pretty much everything waterwise is cancelled for the next day or two. Rescheduled to Friday now. Fitzroy Island on Thursday.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Parley said:

See my later post. It is a silly scheme. Just bump up their welfare payments a bit.

I would also support a realistic universal basic income/living wage as it would likely save the government large sums of money in the longer term. I disagree that it is "silly" though, in the absence of other options at this time.

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Victoria was the first state in Australia to ensure every government school student had universal access to free sanitary products.  I don't know about the other states.

5 minutes ago, Toots said:

Victoria was the first state in Australia to ensure every government school student had universal access to free sanitary products.  I don't know about the other states.

No one was talking about schools Toots. Newjez just threw in a unnecessary curveball.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Looking forward to it 🙂

I hope it doesn’t make the water murky/cloudy 

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

8 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

So apparently the guy I previously spoke with had zero clue. Just just got a call from a lady saying he should have never said that and indeed pretty much everything waterwise is cancelled for the next day or two. Rescheduled to Friday now. Fitzroy Island on Thursday.

I thought they were risking it. Now is a great time to visit the falls though and Crystal Cascades

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

9 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Probably better off.  Visibility can suffer straight after a storm.   It'll give it time to settle.

9 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Fitzroy is lovely we visited regularly when we lived up there. Green island is too touristy although if you stay overnight you hear enough have the island to yourself 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Parley said:

No one was talking about schools Toots. Newjez just threw in a unnecessary curveball.

It's not a curve ball parley.

A major part of the period poverty campaign focused on school children missing lessons because of periods. It's not a campaign I've taken an interest in, but I see the odd article here and there.

It was deemed important enough to affect their education.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46361899&ved=2ahUKEwjNpaiU9oLuAhXrUBUIHWhEDjAQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2PZ3BMdpuOofXvihfKM19i

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

My boss had covid. Apparently she is quite poorly with it.

3 hours ago, newjez said:

It's not a curve ball parley.

A major part of the period poverty campaign focused on school children missing lessons because of periods. It's not a campaign I've taken an interest in, but I see the odd article here and there.

It was deemed important enough to affect their education.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46361899&ved=2ahUKEwjNpaiU9oLuAhXrUBUIHWhEDjAQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2PZ3BMdpuOofXvihfKM19i

They won’t miss lessons now because all schools provide what they need for free if they don’t have their own supply. That was a good thing to come out of the campaign as it would be very embarrassing to be at school without anything. I still don’t think such things should be free all the time though. Much the same as toilet roll. Of course the school provides that as does every employer for when you’re at work but they don’t provide the stack of it that’s in your bathroom at home. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I hope it doesn’t make the water murky/cloudy 

All waterways now look like torrents of chocolate milk!

54 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

The joys of the wet season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

They won’t miss lessons now because all schools provide what they need for free if they don’t have their own supply. That was a good thing to come out of the campaign as it would be very embarrassing to be at school without anything. I still don’t think such things should be free all the time though. Much the same as toilet roll. Of course the school provides that as does every employer for when you’re at work but they don’t provide the stack of it that’s in your bathroom at home. 

My old work only allowed you to take two sheets at a time. However, with a bit of perseverance...

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

And try driving the coastal road to Port Douglas, the blue water vanishes and looks like a dirty river.

My son sent me a photo of the sky this evening up there, I believe it was spectacular.