State school fees..... another shock!!!

Guest jonseywife

Guest meganhannah
Well, last night I went to my kids school 'choices' evening, and gotta tell you, I had a bit of a shock:shocked:!!!!

I have a son going into year 11, a daughter into year 9 and a son going into year 7.

We have been out here over six months now, and when my kids first went to school, my other half wasn't working (as it took him three months just to get Registered and get work as a Plumber) so we had a concession card, and did'nt have to pay any fees luckily. Although we had to buy all the school books, stationery etc., which came to about $500 for all of them. I did know you had to buy the books before we came out, so no big surprises there.

The shock came when I was given the choices booklet and all the charges for the subjects. Year 11 is the worst, by far. Although they have great options and lots of choices it all comes at a cost. Typically all my kids want do do the most costly options, ie., Music indusrty $1000, Photography $260, Outdoor and environmental studies $650, Food tech $180, Design $150 and lots more too.

So with the books as well, looks like we will get a bit for about $3000+ for the year. I'm not sure if we can afford that at the moment to be honest, as we're still trying to get back on our feet after the big move out here........ and Im not sure if my kids will be able to do all the subject they want, because of the cost!!!! It seems unfair, and I wondered if anyone else has had this problem...... ?????????????

So if you have younger kids, start saving folks.

I think I need a drink !!!!!:wacko:

Sally-ann

Gosh, appreciate your post I was not aware of those costs either. Like you expected books, stationary ect. I also have kids eldest will be going into year 12, next one into year 10, third into 8 got a breather with the little one as he is only 4.

We not got our visa yet and with problems (financial) here in the UK at the moment due to economy wonder what we gonna come out with to be able to afford all these additional costs. Gosh lots of thinking to do, although one has to think its only short term. They grow up lol.

Jo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest itskaren
Gosh, appreciate your post I was not aware of those costs either. Like you expected books, stationary ect. I also have kids eldest will be going into year 12, next one into year 10, third into 8 got a breather with the little one as he is only 4.

We not got our visa yet and with problems (financial) here in the UK at the moment due to economy wonder what we gonna come out with to be able to afford all these additional costs. Gosh lots of thinking to do, although one has to think its only short term. They grow up lol.

Jo

I thinbk you will struggle Jo. We certainliy have.

Archived