Red Rose

Travellers

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I don’t know about the UK but I think the RSPCA has a worse reputation than any gypsy tv show.

IN THE UK 

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/prosecution

The State still relies on charities to protect Chldren, animals,  the old, the poor and the disabled, if people are concerned about any of those disadvantaged groups they should pressure their govt representatives to act to fund effective protection and pass protective laws

8 hours ago, simmo said:

Horrific animal cruelty goes on there. It should be banned.

We should ban it should we,  funny when lots of other horrific things are mentioned for banning it is pointed out that  'no platforming' is censorship.

It  is always amusing to see the furore about the subjects close to peoples hearts but how quickly  Govt actions like cutting police by 20,000 and slashing Council spending by  more than 40% has meant that enforcement action on animal cruelty, fly tipping, littering and trespass is in the very lowest level of legal action so its hardly surprising that hardly anyone is apprenended

• Like 1

I think what hasn't helped in the UK context is what happened to that police officer Andrew Harper. The youths who were responsible apparently showed no remorse and that has  tainted the public's perception of travellers as a group (rightly or wrongly).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I think what hasn't helped in the UK context is what happened to that police officer Andrew Harper. The youths who were responsible apparently showed no remorse and that has  tainted the public's perception of travellers as a group (rightly or wrongly).

What is your opinion of travellers Red Rose ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

My views are swayed by an  overconsumption of news bites from the Daily Mail. Hence they are likely to reflect a tendency to be disapproving without any first hand data or evidence 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 2

9 hours ago, simmo said:

I have been to the Hosmenden one in Kent and yes, the RSPCA are doing what they can (for good reason).  I'm not sure how to score it on your cruelty scale but its not nice to see.

Cruelty is totally unacceptable.  What have you observed Simmo?  Are the being beaten or what?

12 hours ago, simmo said:

Horrific animal cruelty goes on there. It should be banned.

When I went to the horse fair at Appleby it was in the late 60's when I was doing my vet nurse training and I went to the fair with 2 vets (my bosses).  The horses were all in terrific condition with glossy coats and we saw no obvious cruelty.  It seems times have changed and the horse fair has evolved into a huge tourist attraction with the horse owners showing off and some of them trying to put on a show for the 'audience'  ................  trotting the horses endlessly up and down the street then plunging into the river Eden.  There wasn't that going on when we were there.  The fair in those days didn't attract many non-horse lovers but looking at recent photos of the fair it now attracts all sorts of people.  Look at the crowds sitting around gawping now.  So different to the past fairs.

horse fair.jpg

12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I don’t know about the UK but I think the RSPCA has a worse reputation than any gypsy tv show.

The RSPCA are bad, very bad.  

12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toots said:

Cruelty is totally unacceptable.  What have you observed Simmo?  Are the being beaten or what?

I saw what I believed to be excessive force to get them in and out of boxes and what sticks in my mind was a horse getting slapped hard around its face repeatedly.

On my local FB group I see people who know about horses complaining all the time about the condition of the travellers horses in fields up the road.

8 hours ago, Toots said:

When I went to the horse fair at Appleby it was in the late 60's when I was doing my vet nurse training and I went to the fair with 2 vets (my bosses).  The horses were all in terrific condition with glossy coats and we saw no obvious cruelty.  It seems times have changed and the horse fair has evolved into a huge tourist attraction with the horse owners showing off and some of them trying to put on a show for the 'audience'  ................  trotting the horses endlessly up and down the street then plunging into the river Eden.  There wasn't that going on when we were there.  The fair in those days didn't attract many non-horse lovers but looking at recent photos of the fair it now attracts all sorts of people.  Look at the crowds sitting around gawping now.  So different to the past fairs.

horse fair.jpg

Bad gawping people.

10 hours ago, Toots said:

horse fair.jpg

Romani. We don't see them over this side of the globe so much, if indeed at all.

Looking at the image at Appleby (??) sure, horses like a swim but I see big boofy blokes sitting bareback on what appear to be the equivalent stature most associated with quarter horses or even ponies.  That's a worry. Is the event about showcasing the horses or is it about the riders? I think its the latter, to the detriment of the former. 

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

34 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Romani. We don't see them over this side of the globe so much, if indeed at all.

Looking at the image at Appleby (??) sure, horses like a swim but I see big boofy blokes sitting bareback on what appear to be the equivalent stature most associated with quarter horses or even ponies.  That's a worry. Is the event about showcasing the horses or is it about the riders? I think its the latter, to the detriment of the former. 

It's certainly changed since I went to the horse fair.

King James II granted a Royal Charter in 1685 allowing a horse fair to be held near the River Eden.  The horse fair is the largest and one of the oldest fairs of its kind anywhere in Europe. Travellers and horse dealers gather at Appleby,in the Eden Valley, Cumbria to meet old friends, conduct business, but primarily to trade horses.  Now it looks like a lot of brash, show offs and louts who don't clear up the rubbish before they move on.  I dare say there will still be the genuine families amongst them who lead their lives as there ancestors did and treat their horses properly.

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

They were great when Dr Hugh Wirth was president, but i think are not as good now.

I want it all, and I want it now.

You don't hear that much about them these days which is likely a bad thing because they are not doing their job of publicising and prosecuting animal cruelty.

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

In what way?

On 08/12/2020 at 13:59, The Pom Queen said:

It might work better if it was a national charity.

The RSPCA in Australia is a federation. That means each state and territory RSPCA is a separate organisation.

Each state and territory RSPCA is therefore responsible for their own operations (including animal cruelty investigations) in their region.

As such, any enquiries or concerns must be communicated directly with the relevant state or territory RSPCA by choosing their contact details from the relevant section below.

End

As in the UK

https://www.rspca.org.uk/

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

You don't hear that much about them these days which is likely a bad thing because they are not doing their job of publicising and prosecuting animal cruelty.

That’s a bit harsh.  What makes you think they don’t prosecute animal cruelty?  Many people give both their free time and money to them. You’d have to be quite certain it’s true to post what you have. The money and volunteering could stop if people believed their efforts were wasted.  They do prosecute people and they do save and help thousands of animals. They may not be as good as they used to be, I’ve no idea if they are or not but I’ve no doubt effort is put into helping animals in need. I found this on their website in seconds - 

‘In 2019 we secured 1,432 convictions relating to animal welfare offences, which meant we achieved a 93.7% success rate from all our cases’

That equals about 4 cases every day of the year ending up in court.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, starlight7 said:

You may have been referring to the Australian RSPCA and not the UK one. I have just had a quick look and the Australia one does appear to prosecute far less than the UK so I apologise if that is the case and my figures were higher than those over there. They still prosecute many people there though, in the hundreds not thousands but for every person prosecuted there must be so many more animals helped. They’re certainly doing some good if not as good as they could do. Any animal helped is good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You may have been referring to the Australian RSPCA and not the UK one. I have just had a quick look and the Australia one does appear to prosecute far less than the UK so I apologise if that is the case and my figures were higher than those over there. They still prosecute many people there though, in the hundreds not thousands but for every person prosecuted there must be so many more animals helped. They’re certainly doing some good if not as good as they could do. Any animal helped is good. 

The RSPCA do a lot of good in the UK at least. Google the name Charlene Latham for  a recent case that made the news in the UK where they cared for the Belgium Shepherd back to full health. Prosecution awaits...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simmo said:

In what way?

They protect a users.  No shortage of law suits against them here 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, starlight7 said:

There's a different attitude in Australia to animals.  We had cats in the UK but would never keep them here, there is so much to lose in the way of natural diversity that has already disappeared from UK urban life.  Our garden has kangaroos, blue-tongues, wombats, kookaburras, honeybills, and as many parrots and lorikeets as you can shake a stick at. 

My dad back home has house sparrows, pigeons and cats....the small birds have largely vanished, he no longer gets blue tits or goldfinches..all ravaged by cats roaming wild.

Around Canberra it's pretty easy to make a cat disappear and the blame gets put on a snake, and every new suburb is a cat containment area.   Basically you keep them inside or caged in a cat run...if not they will disappear very quickly.

Outside the city they know what native life to protect,  including reptiles, but everything else pestlike gets slaughtered including as many non -native feral cats, non-native rabbits, feral pigs, foxes and Indian Miners as they can catch, poison or shoot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

1 hour ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

There's a different attitude in Australia to animals.  We had cats in the UK but would never keep them here, there is so much to lose in the way of natural diversity that has already disappeared from UK urban life.  Our garden has kangaroos, blue-tongues, wombats, kookaburras, honeybills, and as many parrots and lorikeets as you can shake a stick at. 

My dad back home has house sparrows, pigeons and cats....the small birds have largely vanished, he no longer gets blue tits or goldfinches..all ravaged by cats roaming wild.

Around Canberra it's pretty easy to make a cat disappear and the blame gets put on a snake, and every new suburb is a cat containment area.   Basically you keep them inside or caged in a cat run...if not they will disappear very quickly.

Outside the city they know what native life to protect,  including reptiles, but everything else pestlike gets slaughtered including as many non -native feral cats, non-native rabbits, feral pigs, foxes and Indian Miners as they can catch, poison or shoot.

Cats have been banned on our development by council in order to protect local wildlife . They provide free cages to catch them , if chipped returned to owner and given warning letter  , 2nd time put down . 

16 hours ago, simmo said:

I saw what I believed to be excessive force to get them in and out of boxes and what sticks in my mind was a horse getting slapped hard around its face repeatedly.

On my local FB group I see people who know about horses complaining all the time about the condition of the travellers horses in fields up the road.

I hope you said something to them.  I've got myself into a few arguments over the years when I've witnessed stuff like that.  One of the horses we look after is very head shy which indicates he was often hit around his head by whoever owned him in the past.

Edited by Toots

2 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

Most people keep their cats in at night.  There are a few cats around our street but they don't seem to stray far from home.