The Kimberleys

starlight7

7 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Anyone been up there reasonably recently ? When is the best time to go up there, what is the climate like ? We are thinking we might go around Sept next year seeing as how overseas is not an option just now? Any recommendations as to which company to travel with ?

I lived up there for 12 years and I would be up there in a shot, given the chance, especially the East Kimberley area.

Best time to go? Depends on what you want. Strictly as a rubber neck, May through to early October is fine. The end of the Wet is April so, anytime after that. Any fishos will find late March to late April best for barramundi fishing, or late September to December. Ivanhoe Crossing near Kununurra, is the easiest access for barra. 

Climate? from memory, the coldest we had was 11 C in July. Daytime temps go from about 18 C to 40 C depending on the month, but usually maxima are 30 to 35.

No idea which mob to move with. I did all my own driving. If possible, look to doing a trip from Kununurra/Wyndham along the Gibb River road to Derby, or t'other way around. One road I would NOT recommend is the Duncan Road from Kununurra to Hall's Creek via the Northern Territory. However, if anyone is doing a self drive, a trip from Kununurra to The Behn River is quite acceptable, but a lot of it is dirt road. One can find agates literally lying on the road in places. 

But, a word of warning, People can get lost around the Behn River. I have it on good authority that a beaut English family nearly got lost...🤐

If anyone needs any advice,  only too willing to help.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Thanks 1