Australia quarantine update

BobPetairUK

Hi Poms in Oz people. 

We have advised clients of the below update today. Quarantine in Australia is packed and so if you are thinking about going to Australia in 2021 then you need to start making plans soon.

"If you are thinking of emigrating to Australia with your pets, then you need to be aware that your pets need a quarantine space booked before we can get a flight booked. The earliest space for new bookings in Melbourne quarantine is early April 2021. So if you are thinking about this move in 2021 then you need to start making plans. Please do contact us for a free quote and advise and have a read of this article to give you some more information: https://www.petairuk.com/.../taking-pets-to.../australia/"

• Like 5

Guest The Pom Queen

Thanks @BobPetairUK. I don’t know about your side but it’s nightmares trying to get flights sorted at the moment. We have so many road transporters started up in business yet all of them are fully booked. Qantas flight prices are crazy, I am looking at getting a cat up from NSW and they are quoting $590, the same flight pre COVID was $210. Virgin have remained the same and it’s costing $210 from Brissy to Melbourne but they are only allowing bookings within 2 weeks of the flight and they are often fully booked. 

I heard Emirates were stopping brachy dogs and cats flying over if true are there any options left for people flying to and from the UK? 
‘I think people are very wise to get in touch with Pet Air UK the rules and regulations are changing so often and with you also being qualified vets it means people can feel reassured knowing their pets are in the best hands

Hi Bob, 

I guess its a bit of a rock and hard place for us, we would love to be in a position to book a place in quarantine but

until our visa are granted we would be silly to plan that far ahead, are there any options for people waiting to receive a grant and then make all there plans

straight after?

Thanks

Eddie

Guest The Pom Queen

I’m sure @BobPetairUK will know more than me, but when I was importing not so long ago it turned out there was a large oversight on the senders side (that’s why you need @BobPetairUK help lol) and the morning of her flight we realised. I canceled quarantine and they were excellent about it and advised that we could let them know a new date within the next 6 months at no charge. Now this may have been a one off but Bob may know if it’s possible.

Thanks for this update @BobPetairUK it is much appreciated we had been planning for March so guess we know that is out for now, better get our skates on we had started the process with petair last year but been delayed what with one thing and many others better move this to the top of the list now. Our fur baby has been one of  the reasons we had been delaying travel as would have had 2 lots of quarantine befrore the tassie border opened up.

I still need to get my travel authorised too as I missed my initial entry date on my 100 visa 😞  Sometimes it feels our dream move keeps moving further away.... will be all the sweeter when we finally arrive. 🙂

I think the best way forward is that if you are likely to want to travel between 6-12 months away then you are advised to start the process. The downside is that if you dont travel you will have to get a new permit (about £325 per pet). But it is a fine balancing act for sure. 

if anything changes we will be sure to let you know.

• 1 month later...
On 04/12/2020 at 10:22, BobPetairUK said:

Hi Poms in Oz people. 

We have advised clients of the below update today. Quarantine in Australia is packed and so if you are thinking about going to Australia in 2021 then you need to start making plans soon.

"If you are thinking of emigrating to Australia with your pets, then you need to be aware that your pets need a quarantine space booked before we can get a flight booked. The earliest space for new bookings in Melbourne quarantine is early April 2021. So if you are thinking about this move in 2021 then you need to start making plans. Please do contact us for a free quote and advise and have a read of this article to give you some more information: https://www.petairuk.com/.../taking-pets-to.../australia/"

Thanks for the update @BobPetairUK. Do you know what the wait times are like at the moment for quarantine spaces for pets? We are in the midst of getting the Rabies tests sorted but can't apply for the permit until then, so we are looking at late March by the time we get those test results back. Was hoping to travel around October time but this seems pretty tight now. 

You should be good for October, but you are right to crack on with this and get it done sooner rather than later. I would say you are best to get a permit, get a quarantine slot booked and then you can move it if needs be. 

But this level of forward planning is definitely order of the day at the moment.

Wouldnt it be nice, if all this covid news was pretty much gone by October....................................... 

• 1 month later...

Hi

You need to get the rabies work done by a government vet, then a different practice vet needs to do the RNATT declaration, then you need to get a permit then you need to book quarantine and you book a flight based on that! And dogs can only fly to Melbourne.

Or you can get a pet shipper to do this/help you with all of this 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

We’re moving back to Oz at the end of November and have a pug cross breed, so limited to flying Qantas. I’ve enquired with a pet transport company and basically been told we risk losing money at the moment as the likelihood of Qantas accepting pets is slim and they will still charge for everything prior. So what shall I do? Just sort it all myself? I was happy to use a pet transport company for less stress but they didn’t sound very positive about being able to achieve the shipping.

57 minutes ago, Mink75 said:

Hi, 

We’re moving back to Oz at the end of November and have a pug cross breed, so limited to flying Qantas. I’ve enquired with a pet transport company and basically been told we risk losing money at the moment as the likelihood of Qantas accepting pets is slim and they will still charge for everything prior. So what shall I do? Just sort it all myself? I was happy to use a pet transport company for less stress but they didn’t sound very positive about being able to achieve the shipping.

They're being honest, at least.   You'll still have to pay for the quarantine space prior, even if you sort it yourself, so how much would you really save?

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

They're being honest, at least.   You'll still have to pay for the quarantine space prior, even if you sort it yourself, so how much would you really save?

They said we’d lose over £1000 not including the cost of the quarantine space money. I’m just concerned whether I’ll actually be able to achieve getting my dog into Australia this year either way. Are dogs getting into Australia at the moment at all? 

36 minutes ago, Mink75 said:

They said we’d lose over £1000 not including the cost of the quarantine space money. I’m just concerned whether I’ll actually be able to achieve getting my dog into Australia this year either way. Are dogs getting into Australia at the moment at all? 

We've been told that the actual  quarantine fee is refundable if you pay and tour pet can't travel. You only have to pay a week before though for flight booking they will generally check to see you have a quarantine place confirmed which means paying before the flight is booked. Hope that helps. We are travelling couple if months time. 

Hi. Yes pets are still flying to Australia ok. It is a bit trickier than the "good old days", but still do-able. 

There is another route for snub nosed dogs to get to Australia, but it is not without its risks, which is why we as a business are trying not to offer it. Other shippers are though. You fly your snub nosed dog to Abu Dhabi with Etihad. They they are cleared here and an agent in UAE prepares docs for them to travel on to Australia. I know some pet shave gone on this route. The risk is that UAE is currently not approved by the Australians, so if anything happens with the flights and/or paperwork then your pets will be there longer than 24 hours which means the Australians wont accept the pets and they may need to return to UK. All in all, at this time of planes and schedules changing, it just seems very worrying to me. But it is being done for sure. The safest way is to wait for QANTAS to start up again and go with them, but who knows when that may be - likely 2022.

Get the rabies vaccines done now and get the rabies blood sample done now so it is done and set - both must be done by an OV, so check with your vets. and wait and see how things move over the next 3-6 months.

Edited by BobPetairUK