Cairns or Bundaberg? Where would you live?

KangaKit

I know everyone's circumstances are different but just wanted people's opinions on which area is better for families?  ie. Things to do with teenagers, safety from a crime and wildlife point of view! Interested in peoples views and stories xx

Edited by KangaKit
Typo

Just now, Wanderer Returns said:

It's an odd selection, if you don't mind me saying. May I asked how you've whittled it down to these two places?

🤣🤣 I would love the sunshine coast but lack of jobs mean that I need to expand my search....fair amount of jobs for my profession in both areas so could head there initially and then decide after a year or two whether to stay there or move..have you any experience of either?

1 hour ago, KangaKit said:

🤣🤣 I would love the sunshine coast but lack of jobs mean that I need to expand my search....fair amount of jobs for my profession in both areas so could head there initially and then decide after a year or two whether to stay there or move..have you any experience of either?

I lived in Cairns for 3 years. As a centre it's got more going for it than Bundy, not to mention the international airport. There's loads see/do in and around Cairns for families. On the downside, Cairns has a tropical climate which isn't for everyone. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and I found the heat punishing if I wasn't immersed up to my neck in water. I recall my happiest day in Cairns was the day I left, but then I was on my way to NZ for a 3-week holiday! I've only stopped over in Bundy a couple of times on my way up and down the Bruce, so I can't comment in detail, but it seems like a nice town. I would've thought work there was even harder to find than on the Sunshine Coast - depends on what you do, I guess?

Coincidentally, my wife and I moved to the Sunshine Coast 3 months ago. She's had no problems finding a job - she could've got half a dozen. It's been a bit hit and miss for me, but I'm a teacher on supply, and we're right at the end of the school year at the moment.

Where are you planning on moving from?

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I lived in Cairns for 3 years. As a centre it's got more going for it than Bundy, not to mention the international airport. There's loads see/do in and around Cairns for families. On the downside, Cairns has a tropical climate which isn't for everyone. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and I found the heat punishing if I wasn't immersed up to my neck in water. I recall my happiest day in Cairns was the day I left, but then I was on my way to NZ for a 3-week holiday! I've only stopped over in Bundy a couple of times on my way up and down the Bruce, so I can't comment in detail, but it seems like a nice town. I would've thought work there was even harder to find than on the Sunshine Coast - depends on what you do, I guess?

Coincidentally, my wife and I moved to the Sunshine Coast 3 months ago. She's had no problems finding a job - she could've got half a dozen. It's been a bit hit and miss for me, but I'm a teacher on supply, and we're right at the end of the school year at the moment.

Where are you planning on moving from?

Thank you,  I'm a midwife and haven't seen any full time jobs advertised for the sunshine coast in months, we're moving from Hampshire in the UK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KangaKit said:

Thank you,  I'm a midwife and haven't seen any full time jobs advertised for the sunshine coast in months, we're moving from Hampshire in the UK. 

A friend of mine was a midwife on the Sunshine Coast until recently. She was telling me recently that everyone seems to be on casual? contracts. I’ll let you know if she gives me anymore information.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ramot said:

A friend of mine was a midwife on the Sunshine Coast until recently. She was telling me recently that everyone seems to be on casual? contracts. I’ll let you know if she gives me anymore information.

Ok, thanks that'll be really helpful xx

12 hours ago, KangaKit said:

I'm guessing you're on a state-sponsored visa, so you can go anywhere in Queensland?

I'd stick my neck out and say that you won't have any difficulty finding work anywhere in the state as a midwife. There seems to be a lot of casual work on the Sunshine Coast (my wife is also on a casual contract). It's actually a lot better than it sounds because the rates of pay are higher to compensate the lack of security/holiday pay, and you also get your super (pension) contributions paid, which are a minimum 9.5%. She was on a zero-hours contract in the UK earning £8.50, and now earns the equivalent £14.50 here doing the same thing, so there's no comparison. I'd be looking at what your partner does, and thinking where will it be easiest for them to find work.

I've been in Queensland (on and off) since 2004, and lived in a number of places. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that I wouldn't want to live anywhere in the state other than S E Queensland, and at a pinch, Cairns. Cairns has a bit more about it than the other regional centres, which can feel very provincial. By S E Queensland, I mean anywhere south of Noosa to the NSW border, and east of Toowoomba to the coast. Hope that helps.

On 03/12/2020 at 20:32, KangaKit said:

Ok, thanks that'll be really helpful xx

I had a quick chat with my ex midwife friend today. To be honest I got a bit confused if you have more chance of a permanent contract in the public or private system. What she did say was you have a better chance of permanent if you are a nurse as well as a midwife, but she definitely feels there are more casual contracts on the Sunshine Coast than permanent. She didn’t like that at Buderim private hospital obstetrics were on the surgical ward, and also Buderim private was not as busy since the new Sunshine Coast opened.Also Selangor Private hospital closed its obstetrics department down a few years ago.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck. 

Guest The Pom Queen

I loved Cairns and would still be there if it wasn’t for my health and needing expert ongoing medical care. There is a lot more for teenagers to do in Cairns than Bundy. In fact when we moved to Brisbane all 3 of my teenagers stayed in FNQ (Far North Queensland)
‘I can’t comment on the midwife side and I’m not a nurse but a patient who spends approx 6 months a year in hospital, at the private hospital I attend they always have agency nurses and seem to be running short staffed, I don’t know if this is because they can’t find nurses or they are cost cutting. In fact I was talking to a few of the agency nurses last month and they told me that the hospital I attend is the worse in Queensland and can have a nurse/patient ratio of 1 nurse to 30 patients and the public hospitals are usually 1 nurse to 5 patients. 

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I loved Cairns and would still be there if it wasn’t for my health and needing expert ongoing medical care. There is a lot more for teenagers to do in Cairns than Bundy. In fact when we moved to Brisbane all 3 of my teenagers stayed in FNQ (Far North Queensland) 

Cairns is a great town, and a great centre - it has such a lot going for it. It also have a strong sense of community. The heat can be draining, but they have air-con pretty much everywhere, which they don't seem to have in the southern part of the state.