Living in or around Kinross

djianb

Looking at few houses in Kinross and wondered west ppl think of it to live in.

were 25/35 abd have a dog and are pretty chilled. Both will he working in the cbd. We’ll have a car so can drive in.

just wanted ppls overall thoughts on location to cbd and general weekend living 

• Like 1

I haven’t lived in Kinross so will let others share their experiences of the suburb. In terms of location from the CBD, I’d personally drive to the station and get the train in from there. Traffic in the morning can be slow from 6.30am onwards and anything north of Whitfords Ave will be 45 mins on a good day, at least an hour on a typical day of rush hour traffic, and probably over an hour if coming from north of Burns Beach Road.

The trains are clean, regular and reliable so worth considering and many stations have ample parking at a cost of $2 per day. Costs will be similar to driving which is why a lot of people drive, but at that time of the day from that distance, train will be quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I haven’t lived in Kinross so will let others share their experiences of the suburb. In terms of location from the CBD, I’d personally drive to the station and get the train in from there. Traffic in the morning can be slow from 6.30am onwards and anything north of Whitfords Ave will be 45 mins on a good day, at least an hour on a typical day of rush hour traffic, and probably over an hour if coming from north of Burns Beach Road.

The trains are clean, regular and reliable so worth considering and many stations have ample parking at a cost of $2 per day. Costs will be similar to driving which is why a lot of people drive, but at that time of the day from that distance, train will be quicker.

Agree with all of that, unless you really need a car for work park at the station (parking is free at the moment but suspect it won't last too much longer) and get the train (they run at 5/10 minute intervals at peak time), it's more convenient and probably cheaper than parking in the city.

• Like 2

Kinross is fine. Burns Beach is nicer, just on the ocean side of Marmion Ave from Kinross. There are some lovely new houses in a big new development there. Would be more expensive for an equivalent house but you find the prices increase or at least hold their value better.

We have friends who live in Kinross and the one thing they complain about is how busy the traffic is in the morning to just get out of the suburb. They have to get to work and neither of them work in the City, so public transport is not much good for them.

If you work in the City public transport would be the way to go for sure. Out of rushhour morning and evening the traffic is OK, so you can get to places in the car easily.

Close to Joondalup too, which is getting bigger and bigger with more restaurants, pubs, micro brewery opened recently. Has one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere, if shoppings your thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Kinross is fine. Burns Beach is nicer, just on the ocean side of Marmion Ave from Kinross. There are some lovely new houses in a big new development there. Would be more expensive for an equivalent house but you find the prices increase or at least hold their value better.

We have friends who live in Kinross and the one thing they complain about is how busy the traffic is in the morning to just get out of the suburb. They have to get to work and neither of them work in the City, so public transport is not much good for them.

If you work in the City public transport would be the way to go for sure. Out of rushhour morning and evening the traffic is OK, so you can get to places in the car easily.

Close to Joondalup too, which is getting bigger and bigger with more restaurants, pubs, micro brewery opened recently. Has one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere, if shoppings your thing. 

I assume suburbs are "new" or "established" if I can find them in my 1990s Aussie road atlas. My brorher's suburb, Spring Farm is not in there either,somewhere between Camden and Narellan, probably farmland at one time.

If all you want is a nice house and a local park and a 10 minute drive to a beach then I'm sure up there is fine.  If you want a bit more buzz and a shorter commmute I would be looking somewhere more like Scarborough.  Its quite a long drive from up there in traffic. 

Mind you I got a nosebleed going as far as Carine, and thought Hilarys was a about halfway to Geraldton...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Mind you I got a nosebleed going as far as Carine, and thought Hilarys was a about halfway to Geraldton...

I'm only about 20 mins from the city, went down South last weekend, we'd only be travelling about 45 mins when I said 'i don't think I could live this far out".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

If all you want is a nice house and a local park and a 10 minute drive to a beach then I'm sure up there is fine.  If you want a bit more buzz and a shorter commmute I would be looking somewhere more like Scarborough.  Its quite a long drive from up there in traffic. 

Yes, I use similar language about Sydney, living in Surry Hills, close to the CBD, asking people who say they live in the Western Suburbs if theuy mean Leichhardt (which is 5km away).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ali said:

I'm only about 20 mins from the city, went down South last weekend, we'd only be travelling about 45 mins when I said 'i don't think I could live this far out".

We are hoping to live in Ardross or Mount Pleasant to get the kids into Applecross SHS.  We can certainly rent there, whether we can buy what we want depends on me getting a decent job.  It's a difficult balance.

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We are hoping to live in Ardross or Mount Pleasant to get the kids into Applecross SHS.  We can certainly rent there, whether we can buy what we want depends on me getting a decent job.  It's a difficult balance.

I am familiar with that area, despite living in Sydney/Surfers Paradise. I had an AirBnB for a couple of weeks opposite the 24hr IGA, which is a very convenient location, close to the city, railway station there too. I also spent a few weeks in South Perth which is also very convenient for the city.

On 03/12/2020 at 01:07, Jon the Hat said:

That's if you want to go to Perth. If you're happy with Joondalup, which is getting more established, then it's only 10 mins away from there. Still only takes half an hour by train to get to Perth.

If you're anything like us you get to know what's happening around your local area and don't go into Perth much at all. Nice for a change or if you have visitors.

Scarborough is good. My son lives there. A lot more younger people and a lot of rentals. Wouldn't be any easier getting public transport into the City than Kinross though.

• Like 1

We lived in Joondalup, near Kinross. I mean, it's OK for a couple of years but, after that.....

And, despite what is said here, Joondalup isn't get more established. If anything, the accent is on getting away from places like that i.e. extremities. Applecross has been mentioned, that's much better. More expensive, and you won't get as much, but a better place to be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, s713 said:

We lived in Joondalup, near Kinross. I mean, it's OK for a couple of years but, after that.....

And, despite what is said here, Joondalup isn't get more established. If anything, the accent is on getting away from places like that i.e. extremities. Applecross has been mentioned, that's much better. More expensive, and you won't get as much, but a better place to be.

At 25 or 35 I would be going smaller and closer to the fun!

• Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 17:50, Jon the Hat said:

Schools in Rossmoyne and Willetton are highly rated too.

A bit more affordable to buy. 

1 hour ago, Collie said:

Schools in Rossmoyne and Willetton are highly rated too.

A bit more affordable to buy. 

Yes noted, we will be having a look round there as we don't know that area at all.  We were also considering up around Churchlands catchment, but prefer SOR for a number of reasons.

19 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Expensive suburbs those 2. 

Even for a wealthy Eastern Statesman like myself?! Joking, though I might be able to do an apartment. I think I saw new ones going up on the  southern side (?) of the Canning Highway, sort of behind that fish pub - Clancys?

Look at the price of this 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 car space unit in the Hilton, Surfers Paradise, $400,000 plus - 430k, 470k? I don't want to leave the page to check it, but it is on a lower floor so cheaper, may not have view of the beach, but they all have nice views even the ones facing the Hinterland.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-surfers+paradise-134153122

$439,000 and on the fifth floor overlooking the pool so also looking towards the sea. I like a lower level anyway. Cavill Ave and Mall is off to the right. Higher up  will be, I think, 600k to 700k  but when built they were selling for over a million.

I like it here because EVERYTHING is within walking distance, easy walking distance too, no real estate agent BS about a "two minute walk to the beach" Well, it's probably five minutes by the time you have waited for the lift, walked thru to the front entrance on Orchid Ave, then thru the Mark arcade to the promenade. The cafe we go to is below the apartment block, with the tram stop 20 metres away and supermarket 100 metres away plus all the other shops.

The Airbnb I had opposite the 24hr IGA in Applecross was handy for everything too. I just Googled it - checked the map, very handy for Canning Highway and the motorway, possibly one bus on the road outside the flat, more on the Canning Highway and the railway station over the bridge, Raffles pub close by too and Clancys (popular trivia on Mondays if it is still on during Covid)

https://www.google.com/maps/@-32.0118449,115.8466038,15z

Edited by MARYROSE02

On 04/12/2020 at 09:03, s713 said:

More expensive is an understatement. You would be looking at the mill mark to get anything. We have friends with a quarter acre block in an old house there, they got it in the early nineties and were cashed up when they came.

It's nice but way too far from the beach for me and family.

11 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

More expensive is an understatement. You would be looking at the mill mark to get anything. We have friends with a quarter acre block in an old house there, they got it in the early nineties and were cashed up when they came.

A house two doors down from where my Wife grew up is on the market at something like $5m...

Everywhere I like the look of seems to be upwards of $1m to get a 4 bed place.  On paper I don't mind these long and narrow half block homes.  Will have to rent one and see!

19 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Is it safe to swim in the Swan River, Paul?!  I sometimes went for a paddle in South Perth where there is a bit of a beach, plus the wonderful view over to the city, more like a lake than a river. I just consulted my atlas again and remember I could walk around the water to Heathcote and on the other side of that promontory. (I had Xmas lunch in the restaurant there) but I never swam. In fact, my only swim was on Xmas Day in Cottesloe.(which would probably be my pick if I was going to live on a beach.)

I don't know why I only had the one swim in seven weeks over December/January. I remember last year on 1st September, thinking "I'm going to start swimming today" and I drove to Bronte (7 km) and went into the pool -  temperature 17 or 18 degrees I think, not unbearable but chill going in. Then Then I started going every evening for a month or so. Bronte has hot showers which is rare for the Sydney beaches I've been to.