Where would you live in Tasmania?

Wanderer Returns

15 minutes ago, Bound4Tassie said:

I was going to get some of that Lark whiskey as a present for my husband when I down there. Saw the prices and decided I didn’t love him that much! 😂

There is also the Hellyers Road distillery at Burnie.  I think the grog there is a bit better priced but still quite dear.

13 hours ago, Toots said:

There is also the Hellyers Road distillery at Burnie.  I think the grog there is a bit better priced but still quite dear.

I suspect the Lark distillery has been able to charge a premium since it won its first award  several years ago for World  Champion Single Malt or some such.  So glad I don't like the stuff - or fancy wine for that matter - couldn't afford it.  🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skani said:

I suspect the Lark distillery has been able to charge a premium since it won its first award  several years ago for World  Champion Single Malt or some such.  So glad I don't like the stuff - or fancy wine for that matter - couldn't afford it.  🙄

Over the past year I've gone right off wine of any description.  Don't know why as I used to enjoy a glass of plonk.  Can't stand whiskey   .............  even the smell.  Still enjoy a gin and bitter lemon now and again though.  I was never a wine connoisseur.  Couldn't really tell the difference between an expensive wine and a much cheaper one.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

Over the past year I've gone right off wine of any description.  Don't know why as I used to enjoy a glass of plonk.  Can't stand whiskey   .............  even the smell.  Still enjoy a gin and bitter lemon now and again though.  I was never a wine connoisseur.  Couldn't really tell the difference between an expensive wine and a much cheaper one.

Toots are you seriously saying you cant tell the difference between bottles of wine, when theoretically some ‘people’  can detect the subtle aroma of honey from clover grown on the south side of a mountain or traces of lemon or some other pretentious rubbish about a bottle of wine!!!  Honestly The rubbish some experts spout is beyond me. Just Drink whatever you like it and enjoy it🍾🍷🥂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Plenty of nice bottles for around $20 each. I can't understand why people would pay hundreds unless money is no object.

It would be wasted on me.

The only concession i make is at Christmas my job is to take the champagne. I buy a 6 box of Moet Chandon which works about $55 per bottle so not cheap.

The rest of the year i take the common old Chandon which is about $20 a bottle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ramot said:

Just Drink whatever you like it and enjoy it🍾🍷🥂

Love it so much, I can mix it with coffee beans, tea leaves, oranges, lemons etc. etc. and wash in it,  swim in it or, flush it down the toilet!
Amazing stuff!

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 3

On 05/12/2020 at 06:52, Dusty Plains said:

The Arras Sparkling White retails at $260 per bottle. At least its not cheap plonk 😀 

Apologies for my ignorance, but I thought the definition of plonk was that it was cheap. If I'd paid $260 for a bottle of wine and someone turned around and said it was 'plonk', I think I'd be slightly miffed! 😮 

3 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Apologies for my ignorance, but I thought the definition of plonk was that it was cheap. If I'd paid $260 for a bottle of wine and someone turned around and said it was 'plonk', I think I'd be slightly miffed! 😮 

Same here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Toots said:

I’ve not had many very expensive bottles but of the few I’ve tried, I thought they were no nicer and my mind had thoughts of how many average bottles you could have for the price. The last posh bottle I tried was on a fancy work do. I remember thinking it tasted heavy and had a sort of metal taste to it. Give me a nice Australian Shiraz any day. I also like a Pinot noir and if white, a New Zealand Sauvignon blanc. I’ve long since given up on the really cheap french table wine I used to buy on a day trip to France many years ago.  You could get a bottle for about 80p. Capable of stripping paint I’d say. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Parley said:

Plenty of nice bottles for around $20 each. I can't understand why people would pay hundreds unless money is no object.

It would be wasted on me.

The only concession i make is at Christmas my job is to take the champagne. I buy a 6 box of Moet Chandon which works about $55 per bottle so not cheap.

The rest of the year i take the common old Chandon which is about $20 a bottle.

Expensive wine would be wasted on me too although I do love champagne. Rarely have it (usually it’s a bottle of Prosecco) but real champagne is a special treat. 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 10:36, Skani said:

I was recently talking to a mate from the north west coast who'd just been visiting friends at Mole Creek, back of Deloraine.   There are 10 properties on said friends' road:  7 of them are now owned by "climate refugees" from Queensland.    I do feel sorry for young Tasmanians - at least here in Hobart - trying to buy their first home.  With the lowest average incomes in Australia they are struggling to compete with so many cashed up mainland buyers.

I like the term 'climate refugee' for folks that have left QLD to escape the heat. I could have been one of them during the last week! But this migration of people from the big cities to the country or coast, buying up cheap property (hence making the area unaffordable), seems to be global trend. Whilst I agree that it makes it harder for people born and raised in those areas to find affordable housing, most people who are moving in have an income stream and they are putting money into the local economy. This decentralization from urban centres has to be a good thing in the long term. Most of these sea-changers are retired or approaching retirement, and will require services in their local area which should create jobs in the long-term. Personally, I don't have a problem with people being 'economic refugees' as long as they don't spoil the character of the area they move to. It's not like they've bought a holiday home or apartment which they only visit 2-3 times a year.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 3