Your one word that separates the UK from Australia

Red Rose

Not a rival thread but what is the one word that separates the two countries for you?

As I was running today through some pretty tree lined English country lanes past some horse riders going for a hack, I thought the UK is sooooo quaint and that for me is the difference between the two countries that really stands out for me. Australia does have some character, but the UK oozes charm, even in 2020! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

Not a rival thread but what is the one word that separates the two countries for you?

As I was running today through some pretty tree lined English country lanes past some horse riders going for a hack, I thought the UK is sooooo quaint and that for me is the difference between the two countries that really stands out for me. Australia does have some character, but the UK oozes charm, even in 2020! 

Having recently spent 18 months back in the UK (in an area of total peaceful countryside) I totally agree. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Red Rose said:

So your one word is "quaint?" Yes, now I come to think of it, Australia is more quaint than the UK!!!! You have "cheated" too, using two words, not one  -  quaint and charm!?

Edited by MARYROSE02
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Parley said:

Drizzle

Excellent!

This is the point I was trying to make on another thread.   Melbourne (and maybe parts of Tasmania) are the exception that proves the rule for this word.   Living in Sydney, I used to laugh when they said "showers" because it always meant, "it's pouring".   Melbourne gets rain, showers, drizzle, the works.  I rather like it, but I can understand why some migrants find it disappointing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Excellent!

This is the point I was trying to make on another thread.   Melbourne (and maybe parts of Tasmania) are the exception that proves the rule for this word.   Living in Sydney, I used to laugh when they said "showers" because it always meant, "it's pouring".   Melbourne gets rain, showers, drizzle, the works.  I rather like it, but I can understand why some migrants find it disappointing.

The weathermen (or women) hate(d) to even say "showers" if it was forecast for the weekend!

7 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I agree to a point, but as most people in Australia live in huge and overcrowded cities you are not really aware of the actual size of Australia until you go out into the bush, or you fly over it.

....but compared to cities in the UK and Europe, they are not overcrowded really.  For instance, London, Manchester and Birmingham all have a population density of over 4,000 people per square kilometre.    Sydney and Melbourne have a population density of less than 500 people per square kilometre, and other cities are even lower.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

....but compared to cities in the UK and Europe, they are not overcrowded really.  For instance, London, Manchester and Birmingham all have a population density of over 4,000 people per square kilometre.    Sydney and Melbourne have a population density of less than 500 people per square kilometre, and other cities are even lower.

I never really had any experience of living in cities like that, coming from a village in the New Forest where Southampton, 15 miles away, was "The Big Smoke".  So moving to Sydney with its 4,000,000 plus compared to Soton with its circa 200,000 was a shock, especially with its spread out nature.

I imagine if you plonked Sydney down on Soton, it would cover everything to Bournemouth, Pompey, Winchester, maybe even to Salisbury?

I wonder how the traffic jams in Sydney compare to London, Manchester and Birmingham? I often think seriously that I should have lived in London before I came to Sydney.

20 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I agree to a point, but as most people in Australia live in huge and overcrowded cities you are not really aware of the actual size of Australia until you go out into the bush, or you fly over it.

On my one and only trip back to the UK when my dad passed away I felt really closed in, everything felt as if it were too close

• Like 6

12 hours ago, ali said:

On my one and only trip back to the UK when my dad passed away I felt really closed in, everything felt as if it were too close

I do remember counting how many steps to cross the road through my village - 14 - which almost seemed to narrow for two double decker buses to pass each other.

But on the other hand,  once out in the New Forest, where I went almost every day, it was marvellous, and walking distance from my home.