45 Days to Go.....

DavidIII

Hello,

It's now 45 days until I board a plane and head off to Adelaide and there's many things going around inside my head of what I need to do, but aside from the final bits of the sale of the house, dispose of the cars, I'd really like to know some key things that I should be doing here, and more importantly getting organised for my arrival in Adelaide.  I'd really appreciate any lists/tips from recent arrivals on what I should be expecting to do before the panic really sets in.

Thanks, Dave 🙂

Hi David, welcome to Australia in advance from another Dave. What would I do if I was going to Adelaide? Book  a couple of weeks (or more) in a hotel, furnished apartment, or maybe Airbnb in the centre of the city perhaps?

Register with mygov for tax (Tax File Number aka TFN with the Australian Tax Office aka ATO) and Medicare so you can get your hopefully free medical care: https://my.gov.au/LoginServices/main/login?execution=e2s1

Drivers Licence is a State government function as opposed to the Commonwealth government functions above at my gov.

https://www.sa.gov.au/mysagov

But you can drive on a UK drivers licence anyway.

You do not have to register as such with a doctor/dentist/podiatrist/optometrist (optician) - just find ones you like. You can go to as many doctors surgeries as you feel like. (When I came up to Surfers Paradise from Sydney).

I guess you need travel insurance at least to cover you till you get to OZ?

I cannot think of anything more that is important. Oh, have you opened an Aussie bank account yet? I don't know what the process is to be honest. I guess you can do in the UK  I Googled it:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAUBRP_enAU929&sxsrf=ALeKk02Gx4BmvQn6nbpcA2q5q7HLEsg8nA%3A1606493199293&ei=DyTBX_2vEYOR4-EPo8SBwAE&q=opening+an+australian+bank+account+from+overseas&oq=opening+an+australian+bank+accont&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHUABYAGCXTGgAcAF4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab

• Like 1

Hi Dave

i am also in Adelaide and just celebrated our 4 year anniversary of arriving. 

some other things may be what you do for a job etc. any skilled occupations you will more than likely have to get a license or maybe even do some training. 

like the other post says you can organise the bank from the uk and possibly apply for a TFN. You will need to go to the bank though to collect cards and sign all the documents. With Medicare you will need to go to a place called Centrelink to activate this so just try and plan a few of these in the first week or so as you can just chip away at them. 

only other advice would be to relax and enjoy for the first few weeks if you can. We are still able to travel around here and enjoy some of the attractions so have fun 👍🏻

• Like 1

I am also in Adelaide. If you’re looking to rent be aware that it’s a fast noticing market. It is usually just over a week from inspecting a house to moving in. The market is competitive and in the favour of the landlords and agents. It can be hard to find a good place. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I am also in Adelaide. If you’re looking to rent be aware that it’s a fast noticing market. It is usually just over a week from inspecting a house to moving in. The market is competitive and in the favour of the landlords and agents. It can be hard to find a good place. 

Beacuse of this, its good to have all your important documents with you on a USB to submitt with rental applications. Passports, UK driving licence (or Aussie if you get one), paid up uk utility bills, a healthy bank account statement or letter of job offer detailing income and a covering letter as to you being a new migrant hence the lack of Australian rental history etc etc. Its also good to try and be friend an agent if you can.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

11 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Moving**

10 hours ago, calNgary said:

Beacuse of this, its good to have all your important documents with you on a USB to submitt with rental applications. Passports, UK driving licence (or Aussie if you get one), paid up uk utility bills, a healthy bank account statement or letter of job offer detailing income and a covering letter as to you being a new migrant hence the lack of Australian rental history etc etc. Its also good to try and be friend an agent if you can.

Good luck with everything

Cal x

Look on a site called tenant options, this is the one which most estate agents seemed to use, there is also one called 1form.

On these you put in all the information which Cal has mentioned.

We used bank statements as we had no jobs when we 1st rented, I had to get a reference off my old boss and also confirmation from the estate agents who sold my house in the UK.

We got lucky as we applied for one which had just gone, but the one next door was due to go up so we got that before it got advertised.

If you have kids and you are going to use government schools then start looking at them as they are mostly zoned so you would have to look at houses in these areas.

You could also set up your seek profile if you need to apply for jobs. Most of this stuff could be done in quarantine as it gives you something to do.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2