Ongoing medical conditions - affecting visas??

Lotti22

Hello, 

If there is an ongoing medical condition which is stable, but requiring ongoing medication ongoing how does it affect visas? Obviously a medical is done... but ongoing treatment will be inevitable.  

Is there a cost limit on medical treatment ? If so what is it or how do I find out? 
If it goes above this does private medical insurance cover suffice? 

There is a PBS list with prices but does this reflect what the government will pay or what the person pays after the government subsidise it? 

thanks!

2 hours ago, Lotti22 said:

Hello, 

If there is an ongoing medical condition which is stable, but requiring ongoing medication ongoing how does it affect visas? Obviously a medical is done... but ongoing treatment will be inevitable.  

Is there a cost limit on medical treatment ?

Yes there is a limit.  In fact, that's what Immigration looks at when it considers whether to grant a visa.  If treatment is going to cost the government over a certain threshold, the visa will be refused.  I don't know what the current threshold is, sorry.

Having private health insurance is irrelevant and they don't consider it, because the government can't force you to have private insurance and can't force you to claim on it if you do have it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lotti22 said:

There is a PBS list with prices but does this reflect what the government will pay or what the person pays after the government subsidise it? 

The PBS list = Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule, ie. medicines.  The prices shown are the those normally paid by the patient/customer (after the government subsidy has been applied).  Some people are eligible for a concessional benefit, (eg. pensioners) and they pay considerably less than the listed price.

The MBS =  Medicare Benefits Schedule is for medical services.  This schedule lists the amount a patient will be reimbursed by the government for a medical procedure.

Edited by Skani
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lotti22 said:

Is there a cost limit on medical treatment ? If so what is it or how do I find out? 

There is, but depending on the visa type you may be able to get waivers even if this is exceeded. Medical issues can be complex and it may help you to get some professional advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2020 at 08:28, Lotti22 said:

Hello, 

If it goes above this does private medical insurance cover suffice? 

thanks!

If you're on a monoclonal antibody and your condition could, for example require a bone marrow transplant in the future then it's gonna be no dice.

If you're on a statin for hypercholesterolaemia with no other risk factors then you'll breeze through.

There's a whole lotta grey in between! If you're on fairly routine treatment and likely to remain on this and be managed as an outpatient then you should be fine but if you're on treatment beyond this then I'd get some advice from a migration agent with experience in medical reports.

• Like 1

for me I have a chronic illness which is Chrones Disease that I require a fair bit of meds for usually the future holds a trip to the hospital to have bowl removed which at the time I hadn't had, I was asked about surgery at my assessment but I passed the medical and got my visa. 

4 years into living in Aus I had that surgery in spectacular fashion as it nearly killed me and I was rushed into surgery. I now have a nifty 13 inch scar up my stomach. 🤭

I believe because at the time of the assessment I was on pills, if i was on the injections for Chrones it would of put me over the threshold for anyone applying with that illness.