Moving to Perth with my dog

Lok

19 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Unfortunately they closed all the other quarantine facilities down and there is only Melbourne now. 

Thanks ... do you mean apart from Melbourne, there is other quarantine facilities available in Australia before? Will they be re-opened next year? My concern is the long way for my dog  transfer from Melbourne to Perth after quarantine 😞   

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Be sure to start the Rabies vaccination and testing process early as it can take over 6 months to get your pet ready to travel to Australia due to the strict regulations.

Noted, thanks MacGyver

Guest The Pom Queen
6 minutes ago, Lok said:

Thanks ... do you mean apart from Melbourne, there is other quarantine facilities available in Australia before? Will they be re-opened next year? My concern is the long way for my dog  transfer from Melbourne to Perth after quarantine 😞   

No you only have Melbourne.

‘After they have done quarantine you need to book them a flight from Quarantine to Perth

1 minute ago, The Pom Queen said:

No you only have Melbourne.

‘After they have done quarantine you need to book them a flight from Quarantine to Perth

Thanks Pom Queen. Do you know is there any train available which I can travel with dog together from Melbourne to Perth? I heard one but seems not allow for dog ...  😞 

7 hours ago, Lok said:

Thanks Pom Queen. Do you know is there any train available which I can travel with dog together from Melbourne to Perth? I heard one but seems not allow for dog ...  😞 

You could drive. I know someone who drove from Perth to Melbourne early this year.  Took three days with a few stops. They said it was a long drive but fine. Worth considering if you want to save your dog the stress of flying. Many overnight places en route allow dogs in the room too. 

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You could drive. I know someone who drove from Perth to Melbourne early this year.  Took three days with a few stops. They said it was a long drive but fine. Worth considering if you want to save your dog the stress of flying. Many overnight places en route allow dogs in the room too. 

Thanks Tulip. How about train, is it possible or not? 

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately not. 
‘You have a number of options:

‘You fly to Melbourne get a taxi to Mickleham (It use to be called Spotswood/Melbourne Quarantine), collect your dog and then get a pet taxi/Uber back to the airport. You can then put your dog as excess baggage and fly your dog to Perth, you will be on the same flight but your pup will be in cargo.

‘You could hire a car and drive (it’s a very long drive and some hire companies don’t allow pets)

‘The easiest option is to get a pet transport company like Baycity Pet Travel or Moorholme (both cheaper than JetPets and Dogtainers) to collect your dog from quarantine and put on a plane to you. It’s the cheaper option and the least stressful for the dog and you. 

10 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Unfortunately not. 
‘You have a number of options:

‘You fly to Melbourne get a taxi to Mickleham (It use to be called Spotswood/Melbourne Quarantine), collect your dog and then get a pet taxi/Uber back to the airport. You can then put your dog as excess baggage and fly your dog to Perth, you will be on the same flight but your pup will be in cargo.

‘You could hire a car and drive (it’s a very long drive and some hire companies don’t allow pets)

‘The easiest option is to get a pet transport company like Baycity Pet Travel or Moorholme (both cheaper than JetPets and Dogtainers) to collect your dog from quarantine and put on a plane to you. It’s the cheaper option and the least stressful for the dog and you. 

Thanks Pom Queen. As possible, I would like to travel with my dog together to minimize his stress ... So very likely, I need to hire a car then ... Again, appreciate and thanks for your details 🙂 

2 hours ago, Lok said:

Thanks Pom Queen. As possible, I would like to travel with my dog together to minimize his stress ... So very likely, I need to hire a car then ... Again, appreciate and thanks for your details 🙂 

You realise you'd be driving across the Nullabor Plain, are you experienced in driving in remote areas? If your dog has already flown from HK to Melbourne then the flight from Melbourne to Perth shouldn't be a problem for him.

8 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

You realise you'd be driving across the Nullabor Plain, are you experienced in driving in remote areas? If your dog has already flown from HK to Melbourne then the flight from Melbourne to Perth shouldn't be a problem for him.

Hi Drumbeat, I have checked the route and prepare to spend one day to travel from Nullarbor to Balladonia (around 7.5 hrs). Would you please advise what special attention I need to be aware in this region? thanks.

16 minutes ago, Lok said:

Hi Drumbeat, I have checked the route and prepare to spend one day to travel from Nullarbor to Balladonia (around 7.5 hrs). Would you please advise what special attention I need to be aware in this region? thanks.

The sun in your eyes as the road is virtually east-west all the way.. So, do it early, with the sun behind you. I have driven it 6 times; once from Eucla to Perh in one run.

Cheers, Bobj.

24 minutes ago, Lok said:

I have never driven it and certainly wouldn't do it alone. You need to do some research before you consider it, you will need to carry extra fuel, spare tyres, food, water. There are long stretches between roadhouses.

We may drive across next year but I am reluctant to take my 2 dogs, I think they will be more comfortable flying.

Edited by Drumbeat

1 minute ago, Bobj said:

The sun in your eyes as the road is virtually east-west all the way.. So, do it early, with the sun behind you. I have driven it 6 times; once from Eucla to Perh in one run.

Cheers, Bobj.

Got it ... thanks for your valuable info, Bobj 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I have never driven it and certainly wouldn't do it alone. You need to do some research before you consider it, you will need to carry extra fuel, spare tyres, food, water. There are long stretches between roadhouses.

Hi Drumbeat, noted and thanks for your info - really appreciate 🙂 

36 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

We may drive across next year but I am reluctant to take my 2 dogs, I think they will be more comfortable flying.

Odd, all 6 trips have been alone, except for mum and the bub when it was dirt from Balladonia to Yalata,some 200 miles into South Australia.

Just had a squiz at the map of the Eyre Hwy and I see it has been moved! It is closer to the Great Australian Bight,  Might have a think about a trip over there again...

Cheers, Bobj.

1 minute ago, Bobj said:

Odd, all 6 trips have been alone, except for mum and the bub when it was dirt from Balladonia to Yalata,some 200 miles into South Australia.

Just had a squiz at the map of the Eyre Hwy and I see it has been moved! It is closer to the Great Australian Bight,  Might have a think about a trip over there again...

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes, but you've lived and worked in the Outback and probably don't mind roughing it 😉

Driving on my own through red dust for hours on end doesn't appeal, I'd be worried about my attention wandering.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Yes, but you've lived and worked in the Outback and probably don't mind roughing it 😉

Driving on my own through red dust for hours on end doesn't appeal, I'd be worried about my attention wandering.

The last stretch of unsealed section of the Eyre Highway across the Nullabor was sealed in 1976 - so almost 45 years ago.

There's no red dust. 😉

Have you ever been there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickyNook said:

The last stretch of unsealed section of the Eyre Highway across the Nullabor was sealed in 1976 - so almost 45 years ago.

There's no red dust. 😉

Have you ever been there?

I know it's sealed but there'll still be red dust - there always is 😀. I have been across by Greyhound coach many years ago.

7 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

There's no red dust. 😉

Have you ever been there?'

When I left WA for the last time, the boss of the Kalgoorlie Division, a pommy engineer, was ordered, after completion of the bitumen to the border, to leave almost all the road gear, graders, 'dozers, rollers, huts etc. at the border in order to get the South Australian Govt. to feel embarrassed that their end was still dirt. Apparently, the SA Govt. got a Federal grant to complete the Eyre Hwy. leaving egg on the WA govt faces.

I must not go off topic

I must not ...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I know it's sealed but there'll still be red dust - there always is 😀. I have been across by Greyhound coach many years ago.

Along the Balladonia-Cocklebiddy section the red sand dunes were chockers with bunnies, squillions of 'em. That was in 1963, the old road, 

History lesson, It also had the longest straight section in Australia, some 147km, over the red dunes, so, in fact it really wasn't straight, as it had over 40 vertical curves.

Naughty corner, Bobj.😫

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1