SCITT based teacher training issue with AITSL

Rob Frain

Hi all.

The wife and I are both teachers. My wife qualified at Liverpool John Moores University as a PE teacher and did everything University based back in 2006. She has taught in a secondary school since this date. We applied for her skills assessment got everything through from AITSL in 8 weeks with no issues. I applied just before her however and I'm getting nowhere. I recently became a teacher after a career change and went via a SCITT based in the North West and LJMU. This issue I'm having is that the SCITT arranged my supervised teaching placements instead of the University. I managed to get a great letter from the University trying to help me out but sadly it hasn't worked.  Due to this occurring AITSL have declined me - here is the extract from the email from AITSL:

We understand that a formal academic award and transcript has been issued by Liverpool John Moores University, however this institution has also clearly stated they did not participate in any way in the selection, organisation, supervision or assessment of your supervised teaching practice.  In order for AITSL to recognise your teaching qualification, our requirement is for a statement of supervised teaching practice from the awarding university.  This demonstrates a link between the theory being taught as part of an academic qualification and the opportunity to practice this under university supervision.  Your university has confirmed Endeavour SCITT was responsible for this component of the qualification, therefore it has been found unsuitable for an AITSL skills assessment.  

Is there anything I can do? I feel like we have spent so much on this between the pair of us and have failed at the last hurdle. So annoying as part of the career change was done so I would be able to gain points to teach in Australia!

School based teacher training has never been accepted. Not sure how you get around that except maybe a University masters with enough hours of supervised practice in some speciality.  Still, if you can get a visa based on your wife’s skills you could still get in. Not work in teaching though (but I wouldn’t be banking on getting a teaching job anyway). 

• Like 2

Hi there, sorry to hear about the set backs, AITSL are very demanding and unfortunately show little flexibility. I know it's not helpful but don't think there is any avenue for you, QTS\SCITT\GTP is not recognised and is all down to your initial teaching university qualification. 

I gather your wife has been assessed as a PE teacher, as per her teaching degree and not secondary as hoped? So no work experience recognised? 

Regarding state sponsorship, most states require you to have teaching registration before applying for state sponsorship, (eoi) so you have to gamble and have them ready should the state you wish to apply to comes up. Also some states allow mutual recognition, meaning if you get teaching registration from one state you can apply for registration from another via "mutual recognition", simple process to do this compared to applying from scratch. Also obtaining registration is not difficult, and is worth putting a call through to them to assist you before applying as they will provide some advice on your specific qualification. Remember teaching registration will not assist you with your application to AITSL. Ironically one will say you can teach in Oz but the other will say you do not qualify to immigrate to oz based upon your degree. 

Also most states will not be keen on providing sponsorship should you have family living in another state. Not sure how 491 will be but for 190 it's a no go. Also having family in the state you apply for does count on your favour as SS is not points driven as such. 

Don't give up. 👍

Sadly if it's not accepted, it's not accepted.  It happens in many occupations and Australia is not alone in having different standards and rules.  If you're a teacher in England, you  might be surprised how your qualifications are viewed in Scotland, for instance.  

Just to make sure you understand, you've failed the skills assessment for the visa application.  It's just for the visa, nothing more.  It has no effect on whether you're allowed to teach in Australia.  For that, you need teacher registration, and that's done at state level - and each state sets its own rules.  So perhaps your next step should be to see if you can get registration in your chosen state.  

I'm sure you're aware that only one of you applies for the visa, with the other as secondary applicant.  So if your wife has passed her skills assessment, she could be the primary applicant and it doesn't matter what your job is (unless you need the extra points). 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 23/11/2020 at 23:17, Marisawright said:

Sadly if it's not accepted, it's not accepted.  It happens in many occupations and Australia is not alone in having different standards and rules.  If you're a teacher in England, you  might be surprised how your qualifications are viewed in Scotland, for instance.  

Just to make sure you understand, you've failed the skills assessment for the visa application.  It's just for the visa, nothing more.  It has no effect on whether you're allowed to teach in Australia.  For that, you need teacher registration, and that's done at state level - and each state sets its own rules.  So perhaps your next step should be to see if you can get registration in your chosen state.  

I'm sure you're aware that only one of you applies for the visa, with the other as secondary applicant.  So if your wife has passed her skills assessment, she could be the primary applicant and it doesn't matter what your job is (unless you need the extra points). 

So just over a year later I see this post and see the bottom of it. So my wife was fine and skills were okay. We could have applied for the Visa and if we went I could have applied for teaching jobs with no issues???!?

5 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

So just over a year later I see this post and see the bottom of it. So my wife was fine and skills were okay. We could have applied for the Visa and if we went I could have applied for teaching jobs with no issues???!?

You could have applied for a visa but you wouldn't have got a teaching job. If you were prepared to change career there would be nothing stopping you working in Australia. School based training is not considered an adequate qualification to be a teacher in Australia. 

10 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Like I said, the skills assessment is just for the visa.  It has nothing to do with whether you can teach in Australia.  I know that sounds mad but that's just the way it is.  What Immigration decides it wants for the visa, is not necessarily the same as what schools want.

So, if your wife is eligible to be the primary applicant, she could apply for the visa.  You're just the secondary applicant so your qualifications don't matter, unless you need the extra points. 

The question then is, could you get a job in Australia once you arrive?  The only way to know for sure, is to contact the relevant authorities in your chosen state.  Each state sets its own rules.  Here's WA, for example:

https://www.trb.wa.gov.au/

WA requires you to be registered to teach in any school, even private schools.  However  you don't need to be registered to teach at TAFE (technical college), home tutoring, private coaching colleges etc. Other states may have different rules. 

Guess what. I came over as a High School teacher after going through the SCITT pathway. To suggest AITSL simply rejects them is inaccurate, unless AITSL changed their policy after I was successful. When I completed my application there were others in the same position as me and they all managed to get their visas as well. @Rob Frain I'd suggest your qualification would be accepted by the registration bodies in different states.

WA are currently offering sponsorship - exciting times.

• Like 1

My visa wouldn’t go through as it wasn’t Liverpool John Moores who gave me the placements in school in my Scitt year it was the training provider and they would t budge at all after about 4 months of going back to AITSL. 

We’re now wondering do we go for the 189 visa or do we go for the sponsored one from WA? What are the pros and cons of both?! 

40 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

We’re now wondering do we go for the 189 visa or do we go for the sponsored one from WA? What are the pros and cons of both?! 

How many points do you have?  For the 189, it doesn't matter what occupation you're in, you MUST have at least 90 points before it's even worth applying. 

I know the website says 65 points but that's just the minimum to be allowed to submit.  It's a competition, like applying for a job: the job ad may say you only need one year's experience, but if there are 200 people applying with 5 years' experience, you know you won't even get an interview. The 189 visa process is the same.  For the last few years, they've been so swamped with applicants with 95 to 100 points, they don't even have to look at anyone else. 

I haven't seen any of the data since the Covid shutdown, but here's what it looked like just before that:

https://iscah.com/will-get-189-invite-updated-predictions/

You can bet it will be even MORE competitive now, because there are already hundreds of 189 applications sitting in the queue (all the people who applied in 2020 and 2021 and didn't get processed).  

Points are less important for the state visas because the states will look at what skills they need and how you fit that.

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

For the 189, it doesn't matter what occupation you're in, you MUST have at least 90 points before it's even worth applying. 

Not at the moment … there were 35,000 invitations issued last month and many occupations only needed 65 points.  

• Like 3

On 19/01/2023 at 07:56, Rob Frain said:

My visa wouldn’t go through as it wasn’t Liverpool John Moores who gave me the placements in school in my Scitt year it was the training provider and they would t budge at all after about 4 months of going back to AITSL. 

189 was great for me but at a different time.

The WA state sponsored scheme requires you to work regional. Regional starts from just over 1 hour from Perth if you know your areas. You can apply for permanent residency after 2 years I think. There's work here, so there's plenty of positives to the current offer. I'm in Mandurah and the schools are questioning whether we can utilise this scheme. That said you could definitely live in Mandurah and commute regional. I presume this is the case if you went north and east of Perth as well.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 01:22, benj1980 said:

189 was great for me but at a different time.

The WA state sponsored scheme requires you to work regional. Regional starts from just over 1 hour from Perth if you know your areas. You can apply for permanent residency after 2 years I think. There's work here, so there's plenty of positives to the current offer. I'm in Mandurah and the schools are questioning whether we can utilise this scheme. That said you could definitely live in Mandurah and commute regional. I presume this is the case if you went north and east of Perth as well.

Interesting as Mandurah/Secret Harbour was where we have been looking as we have quite a few friends there.  I’m still scratching my head which one to go with. The WA education board are looking at my qualifications from the scitt to see if they are allowed to be used to teach over there.  Exciting times! 

16 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Interesting as Mandurah/Secret Harbour was where we have been looking as we have quite a few friends there.  I’m still scratching my head which one to go with. The WA education board are looking at my qualifications from the scitt to see if they are allowed to be used to teach over there.  Exciting times! 

Good luck with TRBWA. Secret Harbour would be more of a trek to be commuting regional, you'd be looking south Mandurah ideally so if you wanted to move there the 189 might be a better option.

• 2 weeks later...

Skills are now being checked with AITSL - submitted 22/01/23 - let's see how long that takes.

English exam - we've booked two during half term next week including one on Valentine's Day (oops!), otherwise, the next time we can do it will be much later in the year. We have booked a Pearson and a TOEFL.

Am I correct in thinking there is no point in booking medicals and police records until I get an invite?

1 minute ago, benj1980 said:

AITSL took me out 8 weeks. No point booking anything else until you know your qualifications will be accepted.

They've already been accepted once for my wife (we're using her qualifications) but due to covid the timer ran out and they won't let us use this certificate!

19 hours ago, Rob Frain said:

Pearson results through 2 hours after the exam - pretty much full marks! Superior 20 points thank you very much EOI now being done! 

Congratulations on that, so that's a couple of the big hurdles out the way. @paulhand suggested 65 points at the moment gets you through to visa processing. Do you know the timeline currently for this? We used to have a 189 visa timeline spreadsheet going. When is the next round due? Get in there!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benj1980 said:

Congratulations on that, so that's a couple of the big hurdles out the way. @paulhand suggested 65 points at the moment gets you through to visa processing. Do you know the timeline currently for this? We used to have a 189 visa timeline spreadsheet going. When is the next round due? Get in there!

We’re on 80 points so fingers crossed we get an invite. I can’t see any timeline for the 189 anywhere on here. 

• Like 1