starlight7

Would you go on a cruise now?

I don’t think I would but we are tempted. If they just had Australians and New Zealanders on board I might. No Americans,thanks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, simmo said:

What about poms?

God No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I want it all, and I want it now.

Poms are good to travel with so long as they are covid free. Lot of fun.

• Like 2

I saw a new article somewhere showing dozens of Cruise liners queuing up to be scrapped. Quite a sad sight.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

I don’t think I would but we are tempted. If they just had Australians and New Zealanders on board I might. No Americans,thanks.

We were talking about this the other day at work.......a petridish of infection, or will they be the safest holidays on earth because of the way the cruise industry will need to be impeccably managed from now on?   Some of the cheaper operators that pack you in may not survive, but the better ones may prosper.

I would not catch one in Europe or Florida for a very long time, but from Sydney to Fiji , Hong Kong or SIngapore......probably.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead
  • Like 1

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

Its not just the fellow travellers on the current cruis you have to worry about. It could be who was in your room before you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Parley said:

Its not just the fellow travellers on the current cruis you have to worry about. It could be who was in your room before you.

That’s the same everywhere though. Would you never stay in a hotel again, go to a restaurant and sit at a table someone else has sat at or walk around a shop that has others in constantly.  I think as long as something has been cleaned the danger is tiny.  

• Like 3

I don't think the virus lasts ling in surfaces though.

48 minutes ago, Parley said:

and the crew. Cruising has never appealed to me, but lots of friends love it. I don’t know even when we are allowed to stay in Sydney again, how confident to I will feel to stay in the Meriton apartments we use when we visit our daughter. Lift is always full.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

That’s the same everywhere though. Would you never stay in a hotel again, go to a restaurant and sit at a table someone else has sat at or walk around a shop that has others in constantly.  I think as long as something has been cleaned the danger is tiny.  

How do you know how well it has been cleaned ?

Will you get the vaccine as soon as available ?

If you have that I guess it should be fine.

1 hour ago, simmo said:

I don't think the virus lasts ling in surfaces though.

No and experts say the risk is extremely low.  Even if it was on a surface and you touched it,  it doesn’t sink into your skin or anything like that. You’d have to rub your face and get it in you. Regular sanitising would make it very unlikely. Possible but extremely low chance. 

30 minutes ago, Parley said:

How do you know how well it has been cleaned ?

Well you don’t I guess but what’s the other option? The thought of never going out or on holiday isn’t an option for me. I’ve been very careful through this and continue to be but there may always be that very small risk out there. I wouldn’t be prepared to never go on holiday/stay in a hotel etc. There’s a difference between living and existing I think and life is too precious just to exist. There are many places I hope to visit one day and whilst I’m happy to put them on hold for a time, the thought of never doing anything like that again is horrible. I’ve never been on a cruise and could happily live without ever going on one although I would have liked to try one one day. 

• Like 1

The cruises we have been on they seemed very, very careful  but the virus still seems to spread . They clean your room twice a day and there is that hand wash stuff everywhere.  They wouldn't let you go in to dinner unless you use it which we were happy with.  Nevertheless you get some who some argue and say they don't want it.

The cruises we have been on they seemed very, very careful  but the virus still seems to spread . They clean your room twice a day and there is that hand wash stuff everywhere.  They wouldn't let you go in to dinner unless you use it which we were happy with.  Nevertheless you get some who some argue and say they don't want it.

The problem is that, as Tulip1 says, surfaces aren't the problem.  Early experiments suggested they were, but they saturated the surfaces in the tests, so of course it looked bad.   Under real circumstances, the virus degrades quickly, so you're only going to pick up fragments - not enough to cause infection.

They now think the biggest danger is that the virus builds up in the air indoors, if the ventilation is inadequate.   When I've been on cruise ships, the indoors sections are all air-conditioned with windows that don't open - and we don't know what the mix is of fresh to recirculated air (it's obviously cheaper to use more recirculated air). This article explains it with some good diagrams:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

They thought the cleaner in Adelaide caught the virus off surfaces at first, due to the confusion over the pizza guy.   Now, they are sure she caught it by working in a poorly ventilated space.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Will you get the vaccine as soon as available ?

If you have that I guess it should be fine.

I would get it if offered to me. Looking at the list of those who will get it though I’m in the third from the bottom lot so it’s unlikely I’ll be getting it for quite sometime but yes, I’d have it. 

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Poms are good to travel with so long as they are covid free. Lot of fun.

Only if you can force them into the shower several times a day...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The theatres on board get pretty packed out in the evening and so do the bars and the dancing places. We would always get a balcony room so we could have fresh air if we felt seasick and you can have brekkie out there if you can't be bothered going to the dining rooms.

When they get a vaccine I think we will go again but it will be local, over this way, not Europe. 

When they get a vaccine I think we will go again but it will be local, over this way, not Europe. 

If you’ve had the vaccine then surely you can travel anywhere without worry. People travel to lots of places that you can catch terrible, often fatal diseases but they just get their malaria jab or whatever before they go so they are safe from it. 

Can you get a malaria jab? Didn't know that. The tablets don't work and they make you feel sick so the best thing is to slather the bushman's on when you go ashore.

Can you get a malaria jab? Didn't know that. The tablets don't work and they make you feel sick so the best thing is to slather the bushman's on when you go ashore.

You get various jabs/tablets prior to going to places with diseases you can catch and thousands of people do just that in order to travel to these countries without the worry of catching something nasty.  If someone had been given the Covid jab so as not to succumb to it then travelling shouldn't be an issue.  I’m honestly not sure if malaria prevention is by jab or tablet, that was just an example of the many things travellers ensure they’re protected against prior to travelling to an area that has these diseases.  

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 18:00, starlight7 said:

Would you go on a cruise now?

I wouldn't have gone then, let alone now.  Not my cup of tea.

• Like 1