starlight7

Hoarding and Panic Buying

In this recent South Australian lockdown the shops were stripped bare within hours of the announcement. Have to wonder why. Is it some sort of deep gut reaction and a fear of starvation?  Why are toilet rolls so popular? Same thing happened here in Melbourne early on in March even though in both cases there was no shortage except that caused by panic buying.

I don't get it either.  Supermarkets are one of the few things staying open so why rush out to panic buy?  My OH said he felt an urge to go and buy stuff but his rational brain overrode it.  I think in times like these there is panic and this sense of needing to prepare for the worst and a lot of people just go with that feeling and then others see the shelves looking bare and think they best get in while they can.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

36 minutes ago, NicF said:

I don't get it either.  Supermarkets are one of the few things staying open so why rush out to panic buy?  My OH said he felt an urge to go and buy stuff but his rational brain overrode it.  I think in times like these there is panic and this sense of needing to prepare for the worst and a lot of people just go with that feeling and then others see the shelves looking bare and think they best get in while they can.

There is no point in you being rational if everyone else is irrational.

Bank in March/April the supermarkets were bare. Stripped clean of rice, pasta, tinned vegetables, toilet paper etc, meat in the deli.

I stocked up then as it seemed the wise thing to do was to have 14 days supply at least of everything at home.

I want it all, and I want it now.

33 minutes ago, Parley said:

There is no point in you being rational if everyone else is irrational.

Bank in March/April the supermarkets were bare. Stripped clean of rice, pasta, tinned vegetables, toilet paper etc, meat in the deli.

I stocked up then as it seemed the wise thing to do was to have 14 days supply at least of everything at home.

My OH went to the supermarket today to get a few things.  Place was empty of people with plenty of stock on the shelves.  Being rational worked out pretty well for us.

• Like 3

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

We found we could get everything except toilet paper which we ordered online. Still using that because it came in huge packs! At one stage mincemeat was out but we had some in the freezer from the monthly Costco sortie.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NicF said:

My OH went to the supermarket today to get a few things.  Place was empty of people with plenty of stock on the shelves.  Being rational worked out pretty well for us.

I visited Coles this afternoon. This is what I found. Im thankful has we literally had nothing to ear.

My parenter's Nephew has a nut allergy. Last time his mother struggled to find food that he could eat.

We did rush out and buy paint!  We had been meaning to paint the outside of the house and had done all the calculations.  Thoughts we might as well have something constructive to do.  Mind it was a bit hot yesterday!  I think maybe just more scrubbing down on Saturday looking at the forecast. Off to paint now.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

We found we could get everything except toilet paper which we ordered online. Still using that because it came in huge packs! At one stage mincemeat was out but we had some in the freezer from the monthly Costco sortie.

This wasn't you was it?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-06/queensland-toilet-paper-accidental-purchase/12031070

Family accidentally buys 2,300 toilet rolls prior to national supermarket sell-out

Wall of boxes containing toilet paper rolls in a garage

• Haha 3

Back in the UK there was a panic rush and we tend to buy day-to-day so later in the week we had to make do with a few bits from what was left but it was fine - I forgot how much i love crispy pancakes!

With toilet rolls we quickly realised it’s not like we burn through the stuff and they were back in stock well before we needed any.  

Are people using toilet paper like bunting or have a lot of Andrex puppies who keep rolling it around the house, or maybe they have some very severe digestive issues which they should probably speak to their doctor about. The mind boggles!

8 hours ago, mt9754 said:

Back in the UK there was a panic rush and we tend to buy day-to-day so later in the week we had to make do with a few bits from what was left but it was fine - I forgot how much i love crispy pancakes!

With toilet rolls we quickly realised it’s not like we burn through the stuff and they were back in stock well before we needed any.  

Are people using toilet paper like bunting or have a lot of Andrex puppies who keep rolling it around the house, or maybe they have some very severe digestive issues which they should probably speak to their doctor about. The mind boggles!

Curry??

• Haha 1

The paper we got online was rubbish and we are stuck with it (no pun intended) for the next few months.  Reminds me of that stuff they used to have in the bogs at school.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

The paper we got online was rubbish and we are stuck with it (no pun intended) for the next few months.  Reminds me of that stuff they used to have in the bogs at school.

It’s not called Izal is it?  More suited as tracing paper than toilet paper 🙂