Help please

Bamboozled

Hi all,

im looking for help keeping our son and his family here. I’m a citizen and my son and family came out December 2019 on a year visitor visa. Decided after covid struck that they want to stay with us as we are the only grandparents to their 3 boys and we saw how easily we could be kept apart.

they submitted an onshore EOI with 70 points but it looks from reading (a lot!) that this is not enough, even when they say minimum 65. 
our address was classed as ‘regional’ last year but this year is not. We are in qld and I don’t want to lose them. They can’t get remaining relative as his partner still has a sister in Uk.

anyone have any options for us? He is a highly skilled carpenter builder. Looking for work sponsorship at this time seems pretty impossible. 
................help? Would a migration agent be any help to us?

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A migration agent could check if you’ve calculated the points correctly but he’s going to need 90 points to stand a chance at a 189 visa. It’s not looking good I’m afraid 

The other option is to look at the partner's occupation, maybe they have a medical occupation or one of the others on the "COVID requirements" wishlist that might mean they could be the main applicant.

As Marisa says, the best option is to speak to someone like @paulhand or one of the other regular migration agent posters on here. They'll be able to give a full and frank review of what their chances are.

However be prepared, if they really can't muster more than 70 points and they can't get work sponsorship it is going to be an uphill battle. Australia isn't the "doors open come in if you want to" place it used to be

One question you are going to have to answer is how they have supported themselves for the past year they have been with you given they have had no work rights on that visitor visa, maybe you've supported them, or they've had an income from their home country or they've used savings. However if they've been receiving Australian income in that time I imagine immigration won't want to entertain offering a VISA as that would have been illegal

6 hours ago, Bamboozled said:

they submitted an onshore EOI with 70 points but it looks from reading (a lot!) that this is not enough, even when they say minimum 65. 

If they have submitted an EOI they must have already obtained a positive skills assessment in their occupation.

Realistically they will not receive an invite for a 189 as last month only 30 invites were issued.

The Queensland program for 190 and 491 is currently closed.

He is a highly skilled carpenter builder. Looking for work sponsorship at this time seems pretty impossible. 

The likely best short term option would be an employer sponsored visa.

Skilled carpenters are in short supply so finding a job and sponsor should be achievable with some effort.

• Like 2

Thankyou for your replies, they have supported themselves throughout the year with savings. They know they are not allowed to work. His partner is a phlebotomist which is not on the list unless we could go for a regional visa. It is very unfair that only exceptional people with 90+ points are being invited in. He has sent out his resume to 80+ employers with not much luck so far.

so sad

It is very unfair that only exceptional people with 90+ points are being invited in.

His partner is a phlebotomist which is not on the list unless we could go for a regional visa. It is very unfair that only exceptional people with 90+ points are being invited in. He has sent out his resume to 80+ employers with not much luck so far.

It's not unfair.  Would you say an employer was unfair if he advertised for a job and then chose the best-qualified candidate?    Applying for a visa is exactly the same as applying for a job - it's a competition.  The points system is Immigration's way of finding the best-qualified candidates for Australia's needs.   Currently there are so many applicants with over 90 points, they're filling the whole quota, so they don't even need to look further down the list. 

With unemployment set to soar, you can't really blame Australia for wanting to be very particular who they accept.  I know it's hard on families but at the same time, you still have the choice of returning to the UK with them, if it's so important to be together.

Has he done the English test?  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It's not unfair.  Would you say an employer was unfair if he advertised for a job and then chose the best-qualified candidate?    Applying for a visa is exactly the same as applying for a job - it's a competition.  The points system is Immigration's way of finding the best-qualified candidates for Australia's needs.   Currently there are so many applicants with over 90 points, they're filling the whole quota, so they don't even need to look further down the list. 

With unemployment set to soar, you can't really blame Australia for wanting to be very particular who they accept.  I know it's hard on families but at the same time, you still have the choice of returning to the UK with them, if it's so important to be together.

Has he done the English test?  

Thanks for your reply.

Extremely helpful

2 hours ago, Bamboozled said:

Thanks for your reply.

Extremely helpful

It is helpful to understand what you are dealing with - soft soaping doesn't help you.  Australia owes your family nothing and if they are going to get there it will require a chunk of luck, and by the looks of it they are already trying the sponsorship rout - keep going is probably the best advice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bamboozled said:

Thankyou for your replies, they have supported themselves throughout the year with savings. They know they are not allowed to work. His partner is a phlebotomist which is not on the list unless we could go for a regional visa. It is very unfair that only exceptional people with 90+ points are being invited in. He has sent out his resume to 80+ employers with not much luck so far.

so sad

Don't rule out something because you have to be regional. I can only speak for SEQ, but quite a few of the areas on the regional postcode list are pretty built up areas, not that far from all the hustle and bustle and certainly not what you expect a regional area to be. The SEQ growth corridor passes through a few of them and building is booming, so if you did need a sponsor those areas are the ones to be hitting up companys.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 17:45, calNgary said:

Don't rule out something because you have to be regional. I can only speak for SEQ, but quite a few of the areas on the regional postcode list are pretty built up areas, not that far from all the hustle and bustle and certainly not what you expect a regional area to be. The SEQ growth corridor passes through a few of them and building is booming, so if you did need a sponsor those areas are the ones to be hitting up companys.

Cal x

Agree - I think people thin rural is out in the sticks, here in WA some of the original rural postcodes have become built up.  One of the postcodes in my work catchment area is actually only 46km from Perth