Does nobody own a small car in Perth?

ozuk

Whenever I'm out walking all I see are these huge monstrous vehicles on the roads. I've no idea how anyone actually gets in and out of these things as the doors are so high up off the ground. My sister and bro-in-law have a huge car and it takes me ages to climb in and getting back out is a big struggle. They're built for giants. Being just over a 5 ft male I consider myself of average height. Why is it that these huge truck like vehicles are so popular here? In the UK I rarely saw a large car but here they're literally everywhere.

Hmm.  Just over 5 ft and you consider yourself an average height man.   You've had very serious health problems yet  you don't see why you need to worry about Covid.  And you're skint, about to begin living illegally in Australia in spite of having a 30 year bridging visa, and can't get Medicare in spite of being British.   Is it just me seeing inconsistencies in your story?

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Hmm.  Just over 5 ft and you consider yourself an average height man.   You've had very serious health problems yet  you don't see why you need to worry about Covid.  And you're skint, about to begin living illegally in Australia in spite of having a 30 year bridging visa, and can't get Medicare in spite of being British.   Is it just me seeing inconsistencies in your story?

Well you know, the stuff people post on the internet isn't necessarily true 🤨. I take the comments from certain posters with a large grain of salt 😝

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I had sepsis back in March. I don't qualify for Medicare on a bridging visa A I'm afraid. Look it up. 

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are not of average height.  I find in Perth a decent sized car would be a must as there are a lot of big vehicles around and I wouldn't want to be the one getting squashed.

I'm average height for my age. What is average height for a man in Australia? I would say 5'6-5'8 maybe which is tall so everyone towers over me. Cars are not built for average people here.

4 hours ago, ozuk said:

I'm average height for my age. What is average height for a man in Australia? I would say 5'6-5'8 maybe which is tall so everyone towers over me. Cars are not built for average people here.

How old are you? 

If you are Asian, they are usually smaller but I would say average is 5'9 to 5'10 and getting taller.

Teenagers today are very tall.

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Very odd. Height is under first centile even if you're over 80, sepsis would be covered by reciprocal care if you're a "Pom in Aus" and you can apply for medicare if you've applied for PR and are on a bridging A can't you? 

In context: you're taller than Danny DeVito but would've been looking up at Prince...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tink said:

I presume u mean 4x4 ‘s . ?

very popular here often due to long distances driven and the ability to get out on less used roads and remote places .

many have side steps to help u get up or use a milk crate !

Even this 5ft 1inch grey haired old granny manages to get into her sons Ford Ranger, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Congratulations 1

16 hours ago, ozuk said:

Why is it that these huge truck like vehicles are so popular here? In the UK I rarely saw a large car but here they're literally everywhere.

I don't know how long it's been since you were in the UK but 4x4/SUVs are very popular over there too. A couple I'm friendly with bought one recently and they hardly drive anywhere. When I asked what the appeal was they said we're getting fatter and it's easier to buy a bigger car than go on a diet! Since then, I've noticed that most people who drive them seem to be a little on the large side (no offence meant). At least over here the parking spaces are big enough for everyone to get in and out. Back in Blighty you practically need to be an Indian rubber man to get in and out the door if one of those things parks next to you!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We have an SUV that isn’t a 4x4.  We got it because my OH has problems with his knees and he was struggling to get in and out of a regular car, especially when parked on our sloping drive.  I’m 5’4 and while I find it high it’s not that hard to get in and out of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

The first time we went off-road was so exciting, I remember it well. It was like a goat track with sheer drops each side.  Wouldn't do it now, too old and the older you get the more you think of what could go wrong.

Why do people take less risks when they get older? Surely you should be taking more risks because you've got less to lose! 🤔

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Why do people take less risks when they get older? Surely you should be taking more risks because you've got less to lose! 🤔

Mainly because you don't want to get hurt- it takes three times as long to get over it when you are older and there is nothing worse than getting a broken limb and having to sit around or, worse, being admitted to a hospital. As you get older your judgement goes off slightly  so what looks like a slight risk might well be more of a risk than you realise. I still take many risks, of course. I am not that old, but going into deep bush isn't one of them.  It is also extremely inconvenient to others if you get into trouble. I never supported those lone yachtsmen who expected to be rescued come to that. Selfish as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Mainly because you don't want to get hurt- it takes three times as long to get over it when you are older and there is nothing worse than getting a broken limb and having to sit around or, worse, being admitted to a hospital. As you get older your judgement goes off slightly  so what looks like a slight risk might well be more of a risk than you realise. I still take many risks, of course. I am not that old, but going into deep bush isn't one of them.  It is also extremely inconvenient to others if you get into trouble. I never supported those lone yachtsmen who expected to be rescued come to that. Selfish as far as I'm concerned. 

@starlight7 you are a true gentleman - or gentlewoman. I'll not make that mistake twice in the same week!

• Haha 1