Jump to content

Are TSS 482 secondary applicant visa holders allowed to setup new Pvt Ltd company in Australia and do consultancy business through it?

Recommended Posts


We recently arrived in Australia on TSS 482 (my partner is main applicant for TSS 482 visa, I am in Australia as a dependent/secondary applicant). Below are the details of my my visa as mentioned on VEVO. Am I allowed to setup a new Private Limited company in Australia and do business? My visa does say "unlimited Work Entitlements" but it does not explicitly mention "allowed to setup company and do business". Hence, just thought to confirm before I setup my company and do consultancy work through it. Also, our visa is only for two years. Although we will get visa extension and PR, what happens to the company if we leave after two years?

Visa class / subclass:   GK / 482
Visa stream: Medium-term

Visa applicant: Secondary
Work entitlements: The Visa Holder has unlimited Work Entitlements
Study entitlements: The Visa Holder has unlimited Study Entitlements

Thx for reading my post.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

From an immigration perspective, that’s fine. You should address any other business related questions to an accountant. 


Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx  a lot Paul for reading the post and taking time to reply. So, the fact that the vivo does not explicitly mention "Business allowed" is not of any concern? Or is it the case that "business" is kind of work and hence included in the "The Visa Holder has unlimited Work Entitlements" clause? Is there some link immi.homeaffairs.gov.au website mentioning this?

Thx again.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't think it worthwhile to set up a private limited company, considering you may be leaving after two years.

It would make a lot more sense to run the business as a sole trader.  You just need to register for a ABN (Australian Business Number).  You don't even need to register for GST if your turnover is below a certain amount.  Then just start work.  

You might find this website helpful.  https://www.flyingsolo.com.au/

It's very common for spouses of 482 holders to run their own businesses as sole traders.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now