482 or 485

Areyousure

I’m about to graduate from my medicine degree in the next couple of weeks and would be starting work at NSW hospital on a 2 year contract. I got the option of applying for the post graduate visa 485, or ask my hospital to sponsor me for the 482. 
Any advantage of the 482 over the 485 visa?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I Googled 482 versus 485! All are migration agents I guess but still kosher info?

I wouldn't trust anything in that first link, frankly.  Judging by all the grammatical errors, they can't even speak English properly!  Very unprofessional.

@Areyousure, I thought you had to have nursing experience to be eligible for a 482?   Any experience gained before you qualified does NOT count for that visa.  Do check that carefully, because it would be a shame to let the employer apply, and then get rejected be because you don't meet the criteria.   On the face of it, the 485 is your next logical step.

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I wouldn't trust anything in that first link, frankly.  Judging by all the grammatical errors, they can't even speak English properly!  Very unprofessional.

@Areyousure, I thought you had to have nursing experience to be eligible for a 482?   Any experience gained before you qualified does NOT count for that visa.  Do check that carefully, because it would be a shame to let the employer apply, and then get rejected be because you don't meet the criteria.   On the face of it, the 485 is your next logical step.

Medicine is on the eligible list as wel since we do 3 years of clinical placements in hospitals as part of our course.

58 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Medicine is on the eligible list as wel since we do 3 years of clinical placements in hospitals as part of our course.

If you're absolutely certain about that, then fine.    You're lucky in that case, as most other occupations don't recognise any experience done as part of the course.  It's something that catches a lot of people out, as the experience does count for things like licensing/registration but not for the visa.