801/820 Onshore Partner Visas and Bridging Visas

Hey all. As some of you know we’ve been about to start applying for a 309/100 visa, however a friend mentioned that you could instead just fly to Australia, apply for the 820/801 visa, then get a bridging visa and start applying for jobs and working.

A few questions for folks on the forum:

1. I would be travelling on a Visitor visa. My understanding of the bridging visa is that it only typically comes into effect when your current, substantive visa expires. Does this mean if I travelled on a visitor visa I’d have to wait until it expired (6 months) before the bridging visa kicked in and allowed me to work?

2. Does anyone have any experience with timeframes for a bridging visa being issued, and how to get the one that allows travel?

3. Are there any other drawbacks to a 820/801 visa versus off shore visas?

4. Do you foresee me getting into issues with travelling to Australia during CIVID on a visitor visa, even if my wife is Australian?

Thanks all

Robin

I think your first hurdle would be getting the visitor visa approved. The borders are closed - apart for returning residents - so I would doubt that visitor visas are even being granted at the moment.  My parents applied for one shortly after the COVID19 restrictions started (my Dad, quite sweetly, said he always liked to have them ready 'just incase') but they haven't been granted - presumably because there are no visitors currently being accepted in to the country.

I'm not an expert (none of us are - apart from the migration agents who provide advice on the forum) - so this is my limited understanding of the situation.

Yes, partners can get an exemption to travel. 

A bridging visa would come into play at the end of the visitor visa. But yes, as you say, you would not have work rights until then. If you lodge a partner visa onshore then the bridging visa will come in automatically as soon as the visitor visa expires. 

The big issue with going at the moment is lack of flights. Be prepared to have to book at least business class. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vickyplum said:

would doubt that visitor visas are even being granted at the moment. 

Visitor visas are being granted to people who either don’t need a travel exemption (partner/children of Aus citizens and PRs) and those who qualify for an exemption on other grounds. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes, partners can get an exemption to travel. 

A bridging visa would come into play at the end of the visitor visa. But yes, as you say, you would not have work rights until then. If you lodge a partner visa onshore then the bridging visa will come in automatically as soon as the visitor visa expires. 

The big issue with going at the moment is lack of flights. Be prepared to have to book at least business class. 

Thanks. I think that’s the kicker there; can’t go onto the bridging visa, and thus start work, until the visitor visa expires which I believe is 6 months in. Don’t think we can afford for me to be out of work for 6 months.

Does anyone know of any options for arriving and moving onto a bridging visa more quickly? Otherwise we may have to stick with a 309/100 offshore application and work in the UK until it’s granted.

Either that or pursue sponsorship I guess. From looking on the government website my career (IT Project Manager) does appear to fall into one the wanted categories for sponsorship visas.

16 hours ago, paulhand said:

Visitor visas are being granted to people who either don’t need a travel exemption (partner/children of Aus citizens and PRs) and those who qualify for an exemption on other grounds. 

Which I why I added the comment "none of us are experts apart from the migration agents"  😄  Thanks!