New ‘Travel Facilitation Letter’ Request Form

paulhand

The Department has finally addressed the often asked issue of what happens if you cannot meet an Initial Entry Date on a permanent or provisional visa due to COVID. This form allows you to request a Travel Facilitation Letter and is for use once you have firm plans for getting to Australia. It’s fairly self-explanatory:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/travel-facilitation-letter-request-form

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 5

On 14/11/2020 at 08:33, paulhand said:

The Department has finally addressed the often asked issue of what happens if you cannot meet an Initial Entry Date on a permanent or provisional visa due to COVID. This form allows you to request a Travel Facilitation Letter and is for use once you have firm plans for getting to Australia. It’s fairly self-explanatory:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/travel-facilitation-letter-request-form

From what I can see here this applies to the "family" visas (parent/partner/child) only.

I presume therefore that the process for those holding 190/189 has not changed 

• 5 months later...

Hi. Thank you posting this. Has anyone had any experience of using these new 'travel facilitation letter' request forms to get an extension on an initial entry date? And if so:

1. Was your travel extension granted? 

2. How long did it take the Department of Immigration take to grant your extension after you applied for it?

3. How long an extension were you granted?

My initial entry date isn't until April 2022 and I understand I can't apply for an extension to that date until 3 months prior it expiring. However, I would like to get an idea now how likely I would be to get the extension granted. I'll probably request 6 months for a variety of reasons.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, ParkyandAmy said:

My initial entry date isn't until April 2022 and I understand I can't apply for an extension to that date until 3 months prior it expiring. However, I would like to get an idea now how likely I would be to get the extension granted. I'll probably request 6 months for a variety of reasons.

To be honest, I think it is pointless trying to speculate what the situation will be like a year from now. 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 08:33, paulhand said:

Is the idea behind this to allow you to secure an extension to your Initial Entry Date, or to get some sort of priority so as to allow you to meet your existing Initial Entry Date? From your post I assume the former but calling it a Travel "Facilitation" Letter makes me wonder?

1 hour ago, bowbow said:

Is the idea behind this to allow you to secure an extension to your Initial Entry Date, or to get some sort of priority so as to allow you to meet your existing Initial Entry Date? From your post I assume the former but calling it a Travel "Facilitation" Letter makes me wonder?

It’s the former and ‘facilitation’ refers to facilitating you being allowed to board an aircraft after your most not arrive by date has expired on the system. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paulhand said:

It’s the former and ‘facilitation’ refers to facilitating you being allowed to board an aircraft after your most not arrive by date has expired on the system. 

Got it, thank you. 

• 7 months later...

Regarding the Travel Facilitation Letter Request Form, what would be the best way of dealing with the following scenario where my partner and her daughter have been granted a SC309 Partner (Provisional) visa with same First Entry Date of March 2022 where my partner is hoping to travel to Australia in July 2022 but her daughter was not planning on entering Australia until October 2024 to further her university studies in Australia where a decision concerning the SC100 Permanent Resident visa would have been made by 30 June 2024.  The problem with the TFLR Form is that it is not possible to specify a separate entry date for the daughter if one answers yes to the question “Does anyone else who was part of the same visa application also require a travel facilitation letter?”  Would it be better to apply for separate TFLs, one for my partner and one for her daughter and when would be the best time to apply for these e.g. apply for each letter just before they are going to travel to Australia?

For a partner/spouse vias Its not a "first entry date", its the date by which you have to arrive to activate the visa. So then unless you enter the country by this date, or apply for a TFL ( which you can only do 3 months before the date - so you would need to be doing it next month) your visa would lapse. Im not sure how your daughter connects to the visa I assume you wouldnt get a TFL to extend to 2024 though ! If she is the daughter of an Australian citizen then much simpler to apply for citizenship by descent, can then get Australian visa and then there is no time constraints and no restrictions/extra costs if further study is to be undertaken.

9 hours ago, yxy said:

Regarding the Travel Facilitation Letter Request Form, what would be the best way of dealing with the following scenario where my partner and her daughter have been granted a SC309 Partner (Provisional) visa with same First Entry Date of March 2022 where my partner is hoping to travel to Australia in July 2022 but her daughter was not planning on entering Australia until October 2024 to further her university studies in Australia

First of all, you need to check whether it's even possible to get a Travel Facilitiation Letter now.    It was introduced ONLY because it was difficult to travel while the borders were closed.   

The borders are not closed now, so at some point, they will stop offering Travel Facilitiation Letters.  They may have already stopped, for all I know. So you need to check.

Things will then get back to normal.  "Normal" means that both your partner and her daughter will need to fly to Australia for a visit to activate their visas before March 2022.  

On 23/12/2021 at 22:26, talktosi said:

For a partner/spouse vias Its not a "first entry date", its the date by which you have to arrive to activate the visa. So then unless you enter the country by this date, or apply for a TFL ( which you can only do 3 months before the date - so you would need to be doing it next month) your visa would lapse. Im not sure how your daughter connects to the visa I assume you wouldnt get a TFL to extend to 2024 though ! If she is the daughter of an Australian citizen then much simpler to apply for citizenship by descent, can then get Australian visa and then there is no time constraints and no restrictions/extra costs if further study is to be undertaken.

The conditions of the Partner (Provisional) (subclass 309) visa as specified in the visa letter are:

1. For first entry, arrive by:  1 March 2022.  [Hence, it is a "first entry date".]

2. Length of stay:  Until notified that subclass 100 has been decided or the application is withdrawn

3. Travel:  Multiple entries

Regarding my daughter, you are mistaken.  I never mentioned anything about my daughter.  It is my partner's daughter who was on the SC309 visa application and was granted exactly the same visa and entry conditions as my partner.  However, she wishes to enter Australia in around October 2024, not by the "first entry date" of 1 March 2022.

On 24/12/2021 at 07:12, Marisawright said:

First of all, you need to check whether it's even possible to get a Travel Facilitiation Letter now.    It was introduced ONLY because it was difficult to travel while the borders were closed.   

The borders are not closed now, so at some point, they will stop offering Travel Facilitiation Letters.  They may have already stopped, for all I know. So you need to check.

Things will then get back to normal.  "Normal" means that both your partner and her daughter will need to fly to Australia for a visit to activate their visas before March 2022.  

Yes, it is still possible to get a Travel Facilitation Letter.  See following link on Department of Home Affairs website:

On 01/05/2021 at 02:30, paulhand said:

Hi Paul,

Do you have any suggestions regarding the Travel Facilitation Letter Request (TFLR) and dealing with the following scenario where my partner and her daughter have been granted a SC309 Partner (Provisional) visa with same First Entry Date of March 2022 where my partner is hoping to travel to Australia in July 2022 but her daughter was not planning on entering Australia until October 2024 to further her university studies in Australia where a decision concerning the SC100 Permanent Resident visa would have been made by 30 June 2024.  The problem with the TFLR Form is that it is not possible to specify a separate entry date for the daughter if one answers yes to the question “Does anyone else who was part of the same visa application also require a travel facilitation letter?”  Would it be better to apply for separate TFLs, one for my partner and one for her daughter and when would be the best time to apply for these e.g. apply for each letter just before they are going to travel to Australia?  Thanks.

On 23/12/2021 at 21:52, yxy said:

Regarding the Travel Facilitation Letter Request Form, what would be the best way of dealing with the following scenario where my partner and her daughter have been granted a SC309 Partner (Provisional) visa with same First Entry Date of March 2022 where my partner is hoping to travel to Australia in July 2022 but her daughter was not planning on entering Australia until October 2024

The purpose of the TFL is to allow the visa holder to wait until it's possible and safe to travel to Australia.   It's not designed for people who don't want to travel to suit their convenience. 

Whe it's possible and safe for your partner to travel to Australia, it will be possible and safe for the daughter too.  So she should travel with her parent for an activation visit and then she can return home until she's ready to take up her studies. 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 16:33, paulhand said:

Thanks Paul,  I've pinned this post for now so it doesn't get lost

On 07/01/2022 at 20:06, BigJoe said:

My wife applied last week, but we’ve heard nothing. Not even an email acknowledgment.

Is it normal to not get any form of confirmation?

Hi, I have a Partner 100 visa approved and my initial entry date is April 12th 2022. I applied for the travel faciliation letter yesterday (the earliest I could do it) and this morning I had my approval letter through giving me until 13th January 2023 for initial entry and activating my visa. It came through as an email with a pdf attachment  - I didn't get any confirmation email saying that they had received my application. Hope that helps, I had been looking on the forum for a while for people experiences but they seem varied on how long it takes to process

52 minutes ago, Greystones said:

Hi, I have a Partner 100 visa approved and my initial entry date is April 12th 2022. I applied for the travel faciliation letter yesterday (the earliest I could do it) and this morning I had my approval letter through giving me until 13th January 2023 for initial entry and activating my visa. It came through as an email with a pdf attachment  - I didn't get any confirmation email saying that they had received my application. Hope that helps, I had been looking on the forum for a while for people experiences but they seem varied on how long it takes to process

Yes very helpful - I am likely to apply for one soon for my wife - and getting a speedy turnaround is very helpful given you have to wait until 3 months before, the final entry date, given obvious logistics of giving 3 months notice for work, sorting house, rental, shipping , pets, booking flights  etc and organising a new life for your family on the other side of the world ! 

On 05/01/2022 at 08:38, ali said:

Thanks Paul,  I've pinned this post for now so it doesn't get lost

What do you advise a provisonal residency (SC309) visa holder to do if the initial/first entry date is about to pass and there is no firm travel plans set to travel to Australia within the next 12 months?  Still go ahead and apply for the Travel Facilitation Letter Request or wait until an entry date is set even if the first entry date has passed?

53 minutes ago, yxy said:

What do you advise a provisonal residency (SC309) visa holder to do if the initial/first entry date is about to pass and there is no firm travel plans set to travel to Australia within the next 12 months?  Still go ahead and apply for the Travel Facilitation Letter Request or wait until an entry date is set even if the first entry date has passed?

As the form says: “Travel facilitations letters are only valid for 12 months from date of issue. Visa holders should plan to enter Australia as close to their first entry arrival date as they can, and when restrictions imposed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic allow. Return to submit this form when you plan to travel to Australia within the next 12 months.”.