Quarantine

DavidIII

Hi,

With the days counting down to leaving and flights still not booked, my mind turned to quarantine when I arrive and how to fill the days without needing new glasses from staring at an iPad, TV or book all day.  I'm sure the first day will be like any normal first day after travelling or shower and sleeping, but then how do we (myself, my wife and our 15 year old daughter) get through the next 13 days.  Do you get any say on the type of room you have when you arrive at the hotel because I am concerned about being in a room with only AC which won't do my asthma any good?

Any comments from recent arrivals who've been through the quarantine process would be most appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

4 hours ago, DavidIII said:

Hi,

With the days counting down to leaving and flights still not booked, my mind turned to quarantine when I arrive and how to fill the days without needing new glasses from staring at an iPad, TV or book all day.  I'm sure the first day will be like any normal first day after travelling or shower and sleeping, but then how do we (myself, my wife and our 15 year old daughter) get through the next 13 days.  Do you get any say on the type of room you have when you arrive at the hotel because I am concerned about being in a room with only AC which won't do my asthma any good?

Any comments from recent arrivals who've been through the quarantine process would be most appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

We did quarantine in August. We were asked at the airport what type of room we wanted in regards to beds, queen or singles etc.

As for windows, that will depend on the State you land in, and the hotel you are allocated to. The hotel we stayed in had no opening windows so had to rely on the air conditioning.

And if I had to do quarantine again, I would take a couple of tea towels, some laundry detergent and washing up liquid ( for the cups that stay in your room)

They did a very short survey with us when we arrived at the hotel and tried to accommodate any serious medical conditions but they had very limited choice of rooms.  Our hotel, none of the rooms had openable windows for example.

My suggestion would be get a routine going, we oriented ours around the meals, embrace things like laundry day, try to hold back on buying treats for “special occasions” say like friday or the nth day.

It’s tough, we brought an Apple TV with us, plugged it into the hotel tv and watched a few good series in the evenings.  I had to google how to make it work with the hotel wifi but got there in the end with a little help from my laptop.

With the exception of Perth, you may get a room with a balcony or opening window, or an hour a day in an outside area for some much needed fresh air and walking space. The quality of the hotels chosen for quarantine varies, in room size, food quality, cleanliness and function. Everyone pays the same price and there is no fair system in regards to allocation. A returning backpacker who is happy to binge watch Netflix for the entire 14 days can end up in the 5* Intercontinental with its 42m2 of luxury space, while the professional businessman who needs to continue working will end up at the Sheraton in a 24m2 room with no opening window and no air conditioning.

You would not manage with your wife and child in such an environment, especially without much needed fresh air/oxygen and direct sunlight. Getting into any type of routine will be incredibly difficult because jet lag is delayed in such conditions. If you are planning on coming to Perth, consider quarantining in another state first. They may even be allowing self-quarantine in a couple of months if things keep going well. Sorry to paint a gloomy picture of WA, but under Major General McGowan, this is the reality. 

We had no windows to open but with having your daughter theres a good chance that you will get 2 joining rooms.

For the 1st week we just didnt fight the jet lag, so if we slept during the day then that was fine.

We had our firestick, ipads and the ps4 to keep us busy.

You can start planning online, so get your details onto seek for jobs, start looking at houses and cars etc.

A couple of nights we got a takeaway delivered to our room, and we also did a few woolie shops so we had plenty to drink and snacks.

Dont worry about it, we managed as a very active family with 2 girls 4 & 9.

Then when we got out of hotel qaurantine we had the pleasure of doing another 2 weeks in airbnb.

• Like 3