Do I stay or do I go?

Sambry

Hello,
I’m from the UK, I’m currently in QLD on a subclass 600 holiday visa with my girlfriend and 3 children (11,7 and 1) and that visa is coming to an end on the 5th of December
I am a carpenter by trade and after spending time here and the current covid situation we decided to try and stay (my parents live here in qld to they came out in 2008).  
We were hoping to get a subclass 189 visa, with 70 points. We submitted a submission of interest on the 29th of September but I am concerned that the process might take longer then we anticipated if it happens at all.

Had anyone else been in a similar situation? I’m really not sure if I should apply for another 12 month holiday visa (and not be able to work and home school children still) or just return to the uk and await a response from there. 

Work is my main issue, as we have been here nearly a year now with no income and our savings are staring to run low, and the open ended timings “could take years” have me feeling uneasy about it all. 

I’m expecting people to tell me to stop being so stupid and just go back to England but I’d like to try and stay if it’s an option at all, but right now I feel like I should just book the flights home.....

thanks to anyone that reads! 

You have absolutely NO chance of getting a 189 visa on 70 points, ever.  None.   

Even before the pandemic, no one was getting invited with less than 90 points.  Everyone is saying it's going to be even harder now, because unemployment has risen with the pandemic, so the goverment is touchy about letting in more migrants.  

Under normal circumstances, I'd be telling you to look into a 491 visa (if they are being offered for your occupation by Queensland or NSW), as that's the only one you'd stand a chance of getting, with your points. However I don't know if they're considering those right now.  Your best bet would be to have a consultation with a good migration agent - there are a few recommended ones who visit these forums - because they have a better idea what the Immigration department is up to.

Have you done the English test? Even though you're not required to, you can take it and count the points towards your total.  However it's a hard test, so you're very unlikely to get enough points to get you over the line for the 189.

I can guess your inevitable question - it says you only need 65 points to apply for a 189 visa, so why do I  need 90?

It's because it's a competition, not a queue.  They have a limited quota of visas to award each year.  They cherry-pick the people with the highest points first.  For a long time now, there have been so many people with 90+ points, they can fill their quota without having to go any further down the list.

The state-awarded visas (the 190 and the 491) are a little different.  They still look at the points, but they also look at other factors like your qualifications and your family connections.  So you have a better chance even with lower points - but points do still matter.  An agent will be able to tell you how much.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I can guess your inevitable question - it says you only need 65 points to apply for a 189 visa, so why do I  need 90?

It's because it's a competition, not a queue.  They have a limited quota of visas to award each year.  They cherry-pick the people with the highest points first.  For a long time now, there have been so many people with 90+ points, they can fill their quota without having to go any further down the list.

The state-awarded visas (the 190 and the 491) are a little different.  They still look at the points, but they also look at other factors like your qualifications and your family connections.  So you have a better chance even with lower points - but points do still matter.  An agent will be able to tell you how much.

Thanks, I have done the Ielts test and scored a 7.

I have been looking on the government website and it seems like the number of points needed has gone down? But I might not be understanding it correctly. In the last invitation round it says 65 was the cut off. It’s all quite confusing...... 

I am looking for a local migration agent now hopefully one of them gets back to me before I book the tickets home! 

37 minutes ago, Sambry said:

Thanks, I have done the Ielts test and scored a 7.

I have been looking on the government website and it seems like the number of points needed has gone down? But I might not be understanding it correctly. In the last invitation round it says 65 was the cut off. It’s all quite confusing...... 

I am looking for a local migration agent now hopefully one of them gets back to me before I book the tickets home! 

189 visas awarded this year are for priority occupations only, (basically medical personnel).   They are being accepted with lower points.  

Take a look at this table, showing how the points worked before Covid hit:

https://www.iscah.com/will-get-189-invitation-january-2020-estimates/

A migration agent doesn't need to be local.  I'd suggest Suncoast Migration, Pinoy Australia or Go Matilda.  

(by the way, 65 is not the "cutoff".  It's the minimum number of points you must have, before they'll even accept your application. And in fact, I think it's high time they changed that, since no one has been accepted with 65 points for a very long time, which means they are taking people's money under false pretences).

Edited by Marisawright

18 hours ago, Sambry said:

Yes, it is very confusing the way they are reporting the statistics for skillselect.

Although they have been inviting people with scores as low as 65, this is likely for occupations on the new Priority Migration List which includes, doctors, nurses, etc.

If you look at the latest statistics, you will also see that they only issued 30 subclass 189 invitations in October.

You would be well advised to look for employer sponsorship through a 482 as a short term solution.

• Like 2