Jump to content
ali

Talking Retirement

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ramot said:

I remember saying to my husband before he retired, we need to have some interests together and some apart. Bless him he said why? I admit that I was concerned when he retired 18 years ago as I was fairly self sufficient, and joked that as an expat wife who was not allowed to work, I had practiced being retired for 10 years, whereas apart from occasionally playing golf he had no interests. We are luckily good friends, but it was a hard transition for both of us as my husband has spent most of his working life away from home to full on 24 hours in retirement and a new country. I had learnt to play bridge, which he grudgingly agreed to play as well. We play both in a club and socially, he plays with a men’s group, and they really enjoy themselves, and each other’s company, he plays golf regularly in a men’s four and also snooker with another group of men. I never thought he would enjoy himself so much, sometimes he is out more than me!! We both enjoy being in Probus and he has been president. So my fears were unnecessary, as we enjoy our time together, but have our own space as well. We laugh some days that it’s a bit like a dawn patrol, as one comes in the other goes out, but our life in retirement works for us.

 

Sounds perfect! Plenty to talk about when you reconvene ❤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely loved this thread, reading the experiences and insight of others .. thank you all so much for sharing.

  • Like 4

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Sounds perfect! Plenty to talk about when you reconvene ❤

Nothing is perfect, but as long as I introduce him as my first husband to keep him on his toes, it works for us. More Likely to fall asleep than talk!!! In an ideal world though our grandchildren wouldn’t be on the other side of the world, as we do miss out spending more time with them, but life isn’t meant to be simple.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ramot said:

Nothing is perfect, but as long as I introduce him as my first husband to keep him on his toes, it works for us. More Likely to fall asleep than talk!!! In an ideal world though our grandchildren wouldn’t be on the other side of the world, as we do miss out spending more time with them, but life isn’t meant to be simple.

Very true! We are in the position of our kids Grandparents in UK and also my Grandmother aged nearly 90. Husband spoke to Mother in Law tonight, it's her birthday. She says she misses us dreadfully and hopes to see us soon. We have our own grandchildren now, aged 4 and 18 months and if a week goes by without seeing them I feel hard done to. 

Makes me appreciate what we did to out parents 🤔😥 Same will happen to us perhaps....We gave them the wings and the idea that they should chase their dreams....we might end up chasing after them? At the moment our plan is to pursue our own dreams once youngest flies the nest. Maybe they will follow us! Whatever they choose they will have our blessing. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

@davlap I've been reading your posts with interest.  Sounds like you're having a bit of a tough time mate.  I was thinking on it and whilst I know we all tick differently to one another, I was wondering if you know what makes you tick and if you can use that to climb out of the slump you are feeling.  Speaking for myself I react well to goals and I sort of drift and meander if I don't have any.   I need to set myself a challenge out into the future, then write down some goals that we get me there.  Something I can cross off a list every week or month.  I find that give me both a sense of purpose but also (the act of crossing off milestones) a sense of accomplishment that itself becomes motivating.   Maybe that won't work for you, maybe it will.

What do you enjoy?

 

What is something you've always quite fancied doing?

A lot of what you say makes sense. In my earlier posts I mentioned I have had time off between jobs before - and even coming to Aus I was hoping for a change in career. So I have had ample opportunity to do 'the thing I always wanted'. Trouble is, I come up empty. This in turn causes endless thinking and searching and ultimately frustration.

I do a fair bit of activity, maybe 20k cycle ride (MTB - definitely NO LYCRA!). 5-10k walks. I have a kayak I go on occasionally (no car access during the week). But any more than 30 minutes to an hour is enough. Did a lot of high impact sport, squash, 5-a-side as well as golf when younger and have a few aches and injuries so I have to take a bit more care. Gave up jogging after breaking my foot, because it scared me that it might stop me being active. You mentioned triathlon - bit too much for me. Did a half marathon once, that was enough, did my knee in overdoing the training!.

I have tried the list of plus and minus, searched for groups, activities. Case in point, would love to want to fish and the hours that could fill- but just doesn't appeal. Tried camping recently, see if that sparks something.

One of my plans is to get a vehicle, ute, suv and go off fruit picking to earn a few dollars, then travel camping (by myself) for a few weeks. But I have a real issue with a second car, especially a gas guzzler. Then there is all the things to buy for camping, especially self sufficiently (which I would want to do). Been looking at forums to get an idea of how to do it properly, as I would keep away from tourist areas, off the beaten track. Its a lot up front, which might not work out as I've not done it before. Unfortunately I overthink (I call it being pragmatic). Need a plan, need to do it right to my own high standards (as is my way in all things)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retirement means you have more medical appointments in a year than you did in the previous decade...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 07:01, davlap said:

A lot of what you say makes sense. In my earlier posts I mentioned I have had time off between jobs before - and even coming to Aus I was hoping for a change in career. So I have had ample opportunity to do 'the thing I always wanted'. Trouble is, I come up empty. This in turn causes endless thinking and searching and ultimately frustration.

I do a fair bit of activity, maybe 20k cycle ride (MTB - definitely NO LYCRA!). 5-10k walks. I have a kayak I go on occasionally (no car access during the week). But any more than 30 minutes to an hour is enough. Did a lot of high impact sport, squash, 5-a-side as well as golf when younger and have a few aches and injuries so I have to take a bit more care. Gave up jogging after breaking my foot, because it scared me that it might stop me being active. You mentioned triathlon - bit too much for me. Did a half marathon once, that was enough, did my knee in overdoing the training!.

I have tried the list of plus and minus, searched for groups, activities. Case in point, would love to want to fish and the hours that could fill- but just doesn't appeal. Tried camping recently, see if that sparks something.

One of my plans is to get a vehicle, ute, suv and go off fruit picking to earn a few dollars, then travel camping (by myself) for a few weeks. But I have a real issue with a second car, especially a gas guzzler. Then there is all the things to buy for camping, especially self sufficiently (which I would want to do). Been looking at forums to get an idea of how to do it properly, as I would keep away from tourist areas, off the beaten track. Its a lot up front, which might not work out as I've not done it before. Unfortunately I overthink (I call it being pragmatic). Need a plan, need to do it right to my own high standards (as is my way in all things)

Have a look at this blog, I think you will find it helpful;

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/self-sufficient-camping/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Have a look at this blog, I think you will find it helpful;

https://www.snowys.com.au/blog/self-sufficient-camping/

That’s glamping, @Dusty Plains.I do self sufficient camping when I go into the remote north west of NT, catching barramundi  and mangrove jacks to eat. I carry 80 litres of water and, being in remote places, strip off, stand in a basin and wash myself, saving the water to clean odd items like fishing gear..

Just bought a metal detector and half planning a trip into the NT desert to try and ping up a gold nugget, or two.  I will be 80, so it will be a challenge, but life is for living, not feeling sorry for ones’ self. 
my gear, a few tarps, mattresses, mossie net, 2 stoves, fry pan and fighting gear. Simple, cheap and easy to set up.

And, all glorious wall to wall natural.

Cheers, Bobj.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bobj said:

That’s glamping, @Dusty Plains.I do self sufficient camping when I go into the remote north west of NT, catching barramundi  and mangrove jacks to eat. I carry 80 litres of water and, being in remote places, strip off, stand in a basin and wash myself, saving the water to clean odd items like fishing gear..

Just bought a metal detector and half planning a trip into the NT desert to try and ping up a gold nugget, or two.  I will be 80, so it will be a challenge, but life is for living, not feeling sorry for ones’ self. 
my gear, a few tarps, mattresses, mossie net, 2 stoves, fry pan and fighting gear. Simple, cheap and easy to set up.

And, all glorious wall to wall natural.

Cheers, Bobj.

Each to their own Bobj. I will only camp under 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐😀

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramot said:

Each to their own Bobj. I will only camp under 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐😀

Wuss.😉

Cheers, Bobj.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobj said:

That’s glamping, @Dusty Plains.I do self sufficient camping when I go into the remote north west of NT, catching barramundi  and mangrove jacks to eat. I carry 80 litres of water and, being in remote places, strip off, stand in a basin and wash myself, saving the water to clean odd items like fishing gear..

Just bought a metal detector and half planning a trip into the NT desert to try and ping up a gold nugget, or two.  I will be 80, so it will be a challenge, but life is for living, not feeling sorry for ones’ self. 
my gear, a few tarps, mattresses, mossie net, 2 stoves, fry pan and fighting gear. Simple, cheap and easy to set up.

And, all glorious wall to wall natural.

Cheers, Bobj.

We had a look at metal detectors at BCF and Anaconda. There are some pretty expensive and sophisticated MDs on the market at the moment.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobj said:

That’s glamping, @Dusty Plains.I do self sufficient camping when I go into the remote north west of NT, catching barramundi  and mangrove jacks to eat. I carry 80 litres of water and, being in remote places, strip off, stand in a basin and wash myself, saving the water to clean odd items like fishing gear..

Just bought a metal detector and half planning a trip into the NT desert to try and ping up a gold nugget, or two.  I will be 80, so it will be a challenge, but life is for living, not feeling sorry for ones’ self. 
my gear, a few tarps, mattresses, mossie net, 2 stoves, fry pan and fighting gear. Simple, cheap and easy to set up.

And, all glorious wall to wall natural.

Cheers, Bobj.

Will Mrs BobJ be joining?😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 04:13, Bulya said:

Retirement means you have more medical appointments in a year than you did in the previous decade...

That's why you shouldn't leave it too late! See it all the time. Life is for living not working. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

That's why you shouldn't leave it too late! See it all the time. Life is for living not working. 

I’ve done more so far than most would in 5 lifetimes.  Body worn out though...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Will Mrs BobJ be joining?😎

That is up to her. @HappyHeart. She enjoyed our last trip, but felt a bit off. Probably the dust...

Cheers, Bobj.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

We had a look at metal detectors at BCF and Anaconda. There are some pretty expensive and sophisticated MDs on the market at the moment.   

Mine cost a tad over $1,000. It will go to my grandson...after I use it till the thing falls apart...

I have been fossicking for agates, amethysts, garnets and sapphires, now have a chance to find that big nugget...Might drop in on the way, to Opalton. Been over 50 years since my days at Coober Pedy and Lightning Ridge. And finding a few good opals.

Cheers, Bobj. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobj said:

Mine cost a tad over $1,000. It will go to my grandson...after I use it till the thing falls apart...

I have been fossicking for agates, amethysts, garnets and sapphires, now have a chance to find that big nugget...Might drop in on the way, to Opalton. Been over 50 years since my days at Coober Pedy and Lightning Ridge. And finding a few good opals.

Cheers, Bobj. 

I don't  think the "Ridge" has changed a whole lot for the last 30 years at least. Opals are still being found.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine there would be anything more exciting than finding a nice juicy big nugget.

  • Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×