Moving back to UK - advice

JC2

We have made the decision that we need to go back to the UK to be near family. We hope this will only be for around 18 months as we would like to return to Australia. We were both born in the UK but are now Australian citizens and both of our children were born in Sydney. Some advice please - as we all have Australian passports, is there any reason that would prevent us from returning? We know we will need to get permission to leave Australia in the current situation but really do want to keep our options open for the future. Any advice gratefully received. 

If you've got your Australian passport you can come and go at  will. We just had 8.5 yes in UK and returned without issue. We just went on holiday and didn't come back (and some days I wish I hadn't!). Only thing we did when we left was to suspend our private health insurance and so we haven't been slapped with the age loading now we've resumed it. 

35 minutes ago, JC2 said:

We have made the decision that we need to go back to the UK to be near family. We hope this will only be for around 18 months as we would like to return to Australia. We were both born in the UK but are now Australian citizens and both of our children were born in Sydney. Some advice please - as we all have Australian passports, is there any reason that would prevent us from returning? We know we will need to get permission to leave Australia in the current situation but really do want to keep our options open for the future. Any advice gratefully received. 

Hi, as you all have Australian Passports, and putting covid aside, then there is nothing to stop you returning whenever you wish to.

We have just returned ourselves after spending a year in the UK with our relatives.

Just do not close any doors, keep your options open, suspend your Private Health Insurance (if you have it) and go and enjoy the UK.

Good luck and enjoy 😊

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

If you've got your Australian passport you can come and go at  will. We just had 8.5 yes in UK and returned without issue. We just went on holiday and didn't come back (and some days I wish I hadn't!). Only thing we did when we left was to suspend our private health insurance and so we haven't been slapped with the age loading now we've resumed it. 

Hi Quoll, we posted at the same time !

You were lucky to avoid paying that lifetime health loading, we were told we were only allowed 1094 days out of the country.

Well done for securing that.

10 minutes ago, JC2 said:

Thank you both! Do you recommend that we leave Australia on Australian passports and go into UK on British passport? Or use the UK one the whole way?

Leave on your Australian and enter the UK on your British passports.

And we used our Australian passports to book the flight tickets out of Australia.

On arrival in the UK, you use your British passports at the SmartGate, and just walk through. I think there is an age limit though for children so you may have to go to a counter instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who made a similar move back from Sydney to London a couple years ago, from my perspective at least, going with the intent of staying for a year or two is great in theory but difficult in practise. 

Staying for that sort of time means you’re going to start to settle in wherever you land, your kids with start to make friends and you’re start to fit back in to UK life. Then a couple of years goes by and you may or may not have done what you set out to do, then you’re faced with another difficult decision and another big move and settling in period.

Of course everyone’s situation is different but in hindsight I wouldn’t have made the move back.

• Like 1