Excess Luggage

DavidIII

Hi,

I will be travelling with Singapore Airlines and have just been quoted a ludicrous price for excess baggage and just wondered if anyone has used an alternate provider to ship excess luggage which doesn't involve me paying the equivalent to 3 more adult fares for taking an extra 60KG of luggage.

All comments most welcomed :)

Guest The Pom Queen

PSS @PSS International Removals can help and it would be cheaper.  I know hubby brings in a 20kg box and it costs him around $120, although I’m not sure if prices will have gone up with Covid. I think it’s Parcel Monkey he uses, I don’t pay that much attention lol 😂 

Depends when you want it.  Seven seas will send boxes by ship cheaper but will take 11 weeks or more.  We sent a bike and a large box by air freight more expensive but cheaper than airline excess baggage fees.  I just googled it and rang a couple of companies for quotes. It was cheaper if you took it to the depot then collected it yourself at the other end. 

On 04/11/2020 at 10:06, DavidIII said:

Hi,

I will be travelling with Singapore Airlines and have just been quoted a ludicrous price for excess baggage and just wondered if anyone has used an alternate provider to ship excess luggage which doesn't involve me paying the equivalent to 3 more adult fares for taking an extra 60KG of luggage.

All comments most welcomed 🙂

Have you actually booked with Singapore Airlines yet? If not look into other airlines.

BA for example (that changesin Singapore at the moment) includes one checked bag of 23KG for free, one hand luggage suitcase of up 23kg and one "hand bag" (small bag) again up to 23KG for free. So if you can pack small heavy things in carry on you can get 69KG for free (although size not weight will be your enemy here)

You can add a second checked bag for £70, a third for another £130 and a fourth for another £130

So if you can't get all your luggage into the first bag and hand luggage and actually need 60+KG of checked luggage, you could buy it for £330 on top of your ticket price - which unless you've got a great deal on adult flights is signifcantly cheaper.

Obviously not helpful if you've already booked with a different airline though

They’re using all the space for lucrative cargo at the mo and don’t seem very interested with offering a fair price for excess baggage.  I was shocked how bad Cathay and Qatar are with extra baggage costs too.  

British Airways were going to allow me to bring 6 heavy bags until my flight got cancelled so had to rebook with a competitor and ended up having to send half my bags with a bag company.