Can we apply for 804 visa while 600 is still processing?

MuntasirJoarder

My mum came to Australia last year for a year. And before her visa expires I applied for V600 which still in process. They gave Bridging visa A for the interim until they approve V600.

Both her kids (me and my sister) are Australian citizens. So we want to apply for Aged Parent Visa (804) while 600 visa processing is ongoing.

Can we do that?

What are the consequences?

Your response will help us. 

23 hours ago, MuntasirJoarder said:

Today I had a phone chat with Home Affairs. They confirmed me that, I can apply for 804 while 600 processing is ongoing.

Never ever take advice from Home Affairs. I know that sounds odd, but the people you speak to are not experts. They are just call centre staff who have had minimum training and often provide bad / wrong answers. In the cases you get wrong replies there is no redress as the departments formal policy is you should have spoken to an agent. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You could, but then if you get the bridging visa for the 804, and then the 600 visa is approved afterwards, then the bridging visa would be cancelled. 

The grant of a further substantive visa does not cancel a bridging visa held for another application, the BV just ceases to be in effect for the validity period of the second substantive visa. It comes back into effect when the substantive visa expires. 

Edited by paulhand

20 minutes ago, paulhand said:

The grant of a further substantive visa does not cancel a bridging visa held for another application, the BV just ceases to be in effect for the validity period of the second substantive visa. It comes back into effect when the substantive visa expires. 

Thanks for that correction, I've learned something.

• Like 1