Birth Certificate Copies

Canada2Australia

Good afternoon everyone.

So I'm having a very painful experience getting a birth certificate sent out to me by the government agency back home, likely due to COVID-19. For whatever reason, the order isn't going through and the certificate isn't being sent out. Obviously this is on the identification documents required at the time of testing for citizenship, but I'm wondering if it is absolutely crucial to have an authentic copy on hand. I have a photocopy of one, and all my other documents are authentic in nature.

Can anyone confirm if I very much need an original copy with me, or would immigration be a bit more sympathetic?

Cheers

They asked to see original copies when we went for the test/interview. The application required a colour scan of the document.  If your copy is colour then you might get that scanned and uploaded for the application but you will need an original for the interview I think.

What did you use for your PR application? You must have had an original document for that surely.

So do that for this application but try and get the original in time for the test. They seemed keen on viewing originals. I guess when they did virtual tests it would have been OK but by the time you get to that stage I’m pretty sure it will be face to face.

Can you arrange for someone in Canada to collect your certificate and post it to you? Have you called and spoken to a real person in the department in Canada to explain your problem?

Oh yeah, I'm referring to having this documentation come test time; that was my concern. The application is already lodged.

And it's been taking an average of two months to have anything posted between the two countries..........each way! I really loath both Canada and Australia Post at the moment. And the only other way to do this is by fax 😐 because they don't accept applications via email or over the phone. It's so bloody frustrating. So now I will have to find a place that still actually uses fax machines. Unbelivable.

Edited by Canada2Australia

9 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Oh yeah, I'm referring to having this documentation come test time; that was my concern. The application is already lodged.

And it's been taking an average of two months to have anything posted between the two countries..........each way! I really loath both Canada and Australia Post at the moment. And the only other way to do this is by fax 😐 because they don't accept applications via email or over the phone. It's so bloody frustrating. So now I will have to find a place that still actually uses fax machines. Unbelivable.

Do you know anyone in Canada still? If so there is another option.

1) Write and sign your application in Australia (either by paper or their online order process) - using your friend/Family in Canada as the postal address to send certificate to

2) (Assuming the application can't be done electronically) - sign the document, scan it and email to freind/family and have them print it and send in Canada mail to the office

3) Office processes the certificate and send in Canada mail back to the Canadian address you gave

4) Get your friend/family to courier (FedEx or equivalent) the document to your AUS address (it will be about $35 but it will be 72 hours at most door to door) - when I did this from CAN-UK for police certs, the document arrived at the CAN address at 10am (so 3pm UK)  and it was in my hands by midday in the UK the next day