Would you move to the UK now?

Newy

22 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The question is, were they all essential travellers?  I see that "elite sportsmen" are still on the list of exemptions, and until the middle of last month, performing artists and TV producers were on the list too, as well as CEO's, IT professionals etc.     

Also, all of those people can just travel for any reason, unlike the Australian system where they have to make an application with a solid reason for travel, and wait for approval before they fly.  Under the British system, they just need to brandish a letter when they arrive at Heathrow and there are, apparently, no checks are made to make sure they're genuine.  

To be honest, I don't see much point in closing borders now, when the disease is already so rampant. 

It was already rampant when you are suggesting we should have close them though.  That's why they didn't.  

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Erm - do you think planes arrive without pilots, or ships without crews?  

The borders between states in Australia were closed, but trucks still crossed the border - there were exemptions to deal with that and there could have been exemptions to deal with it in the UK, too.   

As you say, all holiday travel (to AND from the UK) could have been stopped. Also, business and government travel, unless it's a critical need (most other stuff can be done on zoom anyway), and that would have made a significant difference.   

Different numbers by an order of magnitude though - tens of thousands a week.  I seriously doubt the Australia or NZ numbers are anything like that.  A very different and integrated economy in which is was essentially impossible to keep the virus spreading.  

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No, I was suggesting they should have closed them when Australia did  It wasn't rampant in the UK then. 

It was already well rooted in the country in February; pretty sure I had it then.  Border closures such as they are in March would have been too late imo.  We should also note that there was no increase in any movement before the current spike, this is typical of seasonal respiratory viruses.

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It was already well rooted in the country in February; pretty sure I had it then.  Border closures such as they are in March would have been too late imo.  We should also note that there was no increase in any movement before the current spike, this is typical of seasonal respiratory viruses.

Certainly some people had it then, but  with the borders closed, you could've had a strict lockdown for a couple of months to try to stamp out the local infections. 

Personally, I don't know why they're bothering with border closures now.   It's far too late. Making people go into quarantine when they arrive in the UK is like telling people to wash their feet before they step into a muddy puddle.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2021 at 18:32, Jon the Hat said:

Different numbers by an order of magnitude though - tens of thousands a week.  I seriously doubt the Australia or NZ numbers are anything like that.  A very different and integrated economy in which is was essentially impossible to keep the virus spreading.  

If China can manage it anyone should be able to.

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

To be fair, I'm not sure that's true.  China used some real strong-arm tactics to force people to comply, which no one in a Western country would get away with. 

Yes they did. When it started we had our niece and boyfriend staying with us. They are teachers in Shanghai, left for 2 weeks with us for Chinese New Year and the first week they were here their friends still there started sending them e-mails and photos of deserted streets telling them not to come back. 

They had pictures of Chinese police, or whoever they were, welding up doors and putting bars on peoples windows. Lockdown meant lockdown and Chinese people do as they're instructed.

They ended up spending an extra week with us, buying masks, thinking it was just a local problem and they would be going back to China. Because of the daily updates they were getting from their friends gave us an incling that this was going to be serious before most people here knew it existed. When he went buying masks he said all the shops that sold them, he got some from Bunnings, were already swamped with Chinese buyers buying all they could get. 2 days later you couldn't get a mask anywhere.

They ended up going back to the UK and were stuck there for 6 months. They were appalled by the lack of concern in the UK and couldn't believe that they were allowed to travel round and people were still shooting off on holiday. Australia had already closed borders.

In my opinion too many people thought it was a hoax, a bit of flu, it would pass and the Western opinion was all about rights and the economy and we're not locking down.

I don't agree with Chinas heavy handed dictatorship but that was what was needed in a country with their population. It was the only way to get it under control. Imagine if just one region had thought we aren't going to follow rules. It would have been rampant even now. Bit like Hong Kong.

We have been lucky in Aus for sure. Even this one week of a proper lockdown we've just had in Perth, because of one case, is ending today, with no new cases. People realised how serious it was and followed rules. Odd dickhead refused to wear masks and ended up in jail and everyone I know thinks that serves them right.

Even in this lockdown though we've been able to get to the beach with our masks on and have a swim. A lot of people doing the same but all keeping their distance and wearing masks.

Going this morning, might be the last opportunity for a few days as we have a storm headed our way for the weekend. Rain and onshore winds forecast. Easterly and sunny this morning so the ocean will be flat and crystal clear.

• Thanks 1