Would you move to the UK now?

Newy

Hi all,

We have been thinking of returning to UK since early this year but have been postponing due to the pandemic. We have a comfortable life here but we don't see ourselves making Australia our forever home. Our latest plan was to be back by Christmas but given that the situation is about to get worse than the first wave, I'm hesitant. My husband on the other hand thinks that this pandemic is not going to end anytime soon, so the sooner we move the better. I would really like to do that, but how can I knowingly take my children from the safety of Australia to a full-blown pandemic? We definitely want to move, but I'm inclined to move in the new year/Easter. I can see my husband's point of view - that if we had never moved to Australia, we would be going through this anyway, and our friends/family are somehow managing. He thinks that if we don't move by Christmas, we'll end up staying another year as there'll be another wave/reasons to delay...

Please help us decide. What would you do? We're torn! 

I think your husband is right.  I wouldn't expect the situation to be any better by next Easter.  The government obviously doesn't either, because they've consistently said the international border will stay closed till at least July next year.   

If you are going to wait until the pandemic is "over", you'll have to stay until some time in 2022. 

As we've seen, the risk to children is very low.  

• Like 3

I think, at this stage, it might be quite difficult and certainly very costly to get flights back to the UK in time for Christmas. Perhaps consider the option you have of enjoying one last Christmas and summer here in Oz whilst sorting out your exit for Easter in the UK. At least you will not be going back to the cold winter months where you are more susceptible to viruses. Another benefit is that the children can go into the last term of school to be connected with friends before the summer holidays. I don't know how long you have lived  in Australia, but I imagine the children might settle better if they have a couple of weeks holiday at Easter time before heading to their new school. It also gives you time for a break, to re-adjust and settle in. From this end, you will have time to sort out your house, to prepare and pack for your departure. Time also to enjoy the company of your friends here, to visit those few places you haven't yet got to, and to prepare your children for the next adventure. It would be a lot of pressure on you to pack up your life here and be back in the UK in time for Christmas. 

• Like 2

I agree with Marrissa's comments that the pandemic wont be over any time soon, but probably side with mrsmac regarding timing of the move. While the pandemic will continue to be an issue throughout 2021 and more lockdowns may come and go, I would personally wait until the current UK lockdowns have ended/eased before making the move. Things will be quite grim for a month or two at least, until the UK (more specifically England) get things under control and start to ease restrictions. Moving internationally is hard enough without trying to line up jobs, buy cars, register for sevices etc etc in the middle of the biggest health crisis in a century. I would look to move from February to April, with the caveat that my view might be different if returning to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, where things arent currently as bad.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Newy said:

I can see my husband's point of view -...He thinks that if we don't move by Christmas, we'll end up staying another year as there'll be another wave/reasons to delay...

I may be totally wrong, but is your husband feeling the pull of "home" far more than you are?    Some people feel a very strong connection to their homeland.  It's not something that can be explained logically, it's just how they're made - and they never, ever get over it. If you don't feel that pull, it's easy to dismiss it, especially if life in Australia is good. However, if your partner does feel that way, don't underestimate how deep it runs. It can lead to serious depression and suicidal thoughts.  We've seen several marriages break up over it.  

Like I said, if that doesn't apply to your oh, that's fine. Just wanted to mention it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think your husband is right.  I wouldn't expect the situation to be any better by next Easter.  The government obviously doesn't either, because they've consistently said the international border will stay closed till at least July next year.   

If you are going to wait until the pandemic is "over", you'll have to stay until some time in 2022. 

As we've seen, the risk to children is very low.  

Thanks Marisawright. I agree that waiting for the pandemic to be "over" is not realistic. I was thinking of the practicalities of moving during the current situation/lockdown in UK. 

2 hours ago, mrsmac said:

I think, at this stage, it might be quite difficult and certainly very costly to get flights back to the UK in time for Christmas. Perhaps consider the option you have of enjoying one last Christmas and summer here in Oz whilst sorting out your exit for Easter in the UK. At least you will not be going back to the cold winter months where you are more susceptible to viruses. Another benefit is that the children can go into the last term of school to be connected with friends before the summer holidays. I don't know how long you have lived  in Australia, but I imagine the children might settle better if they have a couple of weeks holiday at Easter time before heading to their new school. It also gives you time for a break, to re-adjust and settle in. From this end, you will have time to sort out your house, to prepare and pack for your departure. Time also to enjoy the company of your friends here, to visit those few places you haven't yet got to, and to prepare your children for the next adventure. It would be a lot of pressure on you to pack up your life here and be back in the UK in time for Christmas. 

This is exactly what I had in mind! Makes so much sense to take this option than to rush to make it in time for christmas. We may not get to see our friends/family during Christmas due to the lockdown anyway. Even thinking about it makes me feel so stressed. Hopefully I can make my husband understand.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I agree with Marrissa's comments that the pandemic wont be over any time soon, but probably side with mrsmac regarding timing of the move. While the pandemic will continue to be an issue throughout 2021 and more lockdowns may come and go, I would personally wait until the current UK lockdowns have ended/eased before making the move. Things will be quite grim for a month or two at least, until the UK (more specifically England) get things under control and start to ease restrictions. Moving internationally is hard enough without trying to line up jobs, buy cars, register for sevices etc etc in the middle of the biggest health crisis in a century. I would look to move from February to April, with the caveat that my view might be different if returning to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, where things arent currently as bad.

Thanks MacGyver. We're planning on returning to England. It's so hard to get the timing right. Then again, I don't know if there's such as thing as a right time during this pandemic. The latest announcement has got me stressed and the more I think about it, the more I get convinced that delaying a little bit might not be such a bad idea. I'm not sure if my husband wants to delay until Easter, but I might be able to convince him to delay until early February.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I may be totally wrong, but is your husband feeling the pull of "home" far more than you are?    Some people feel a very strong connection to their homeland.  It's not something that can be explained logically, it's just how they're made - and they never, ever get over it. If you don't feel that pull, it's easy to dismiss it, especially if life in Australia is good. However, if your partner does feel that way, don't underestimate how deep it runs. It can lead to serious depression and suicidal thoughts.  We've seen several marriages break up over it.  

Like I said, if that doesn't apply to your oh, that's fine. Just wanted to mention it.  

Thanks Marisawright. It's not so much a pull of 'home' for him. It's more like that he'd had experienced enough of Australia (I guess you can say we scratched our itch!). As the decision was made some time ago, delaying it doesn't sit right with him. He just wants to go back.

3 hours ago, Newy said:

Thanks Marisawright. It's not so much a pull of 'home' for him. It's more like that he'd had experienced enough of Australia (I guess you can say we scratched our itch!). As the decision was made some time ago, delaying it doesn't sit right with him. He just wants to go back.

To me, it sounds as though your oh is worried that if he agrees to this delay, you'll find another excuse to delay when the time comes.  I think if you can find a way to convince him you WILL move back at Easter come hell or high water, then he'll be OK with it.  If he thinks you're just dithering, he's liable to dig his heels in. 

• Like 1

I would certainly wait until after Christmas. It sounds like a nightmare over there at the moment but hopefully things will improve a little if they really do isolate and lockdown. Also depends where you are going in the UK as regards the virus.  If it is in one of the hotspots I would not go until and unless it is 'cleared'.

• Sad 1

Woooah!

I'd rather cr@p in my hands and start clapping. If you'll pardon the expression.

If you stay here another six months you are almost certainly not going to expose yourselves or children to a potentially debilitating or fatal disease for which there is a strong likelihood of imminent development of a vaccine.

This is a complete no brainer. Do not go back to the UK at the moment.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

Woooah!

I'd rather cr@p in my hands and start clapping. If you'll pardon the expression.

If you stay here another six months you are almost certainly not going to expose yourselves or children to a potentially debilitating or fatal disease for which there is a strong likelihood of imminent development of a vaccine.

This is a complete no brainer. Do not go back to the UK at the moment.

This... there is just no way I'd be heading to the UK any time soon.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't be leaving a comfortable life and jobs  to move back and be isolated from friends and family due to lock downs and restrictions. You don't mention the age of your children but if older than toddlers id imagine making such a big move and then not being able to actually go anywhere may inplant to many negatives into their minds and thus they could struggle terribly to settle. I would be waiting it out here, making the most of the freedom you have here (in comparison to what you would be moving too) and looking back into things next year.

Cal x

• Like 5

In all honesty, I am not sure this is the best time to relocate to the UK. The country is not managing Covid-19 well (although the devolved nations do seem to be faring relatively better so far), the economy is shrinking with no obvious green shoots to suggest improvement in the foreseeable future, Education is struggling with a raft of issues including  cancelled exams, remote learning and social distancing,  there are concerns that the high number of Covid cases is putting such a strain on the NHS that other serious health needs are not being investigated or met. Unemployment is also climbing as business struggles to manage the lockdowns. Brexit is another factor as the UK ends it's relationship with the EU in January but has yet to finalise any type of deal so the uncertainty is a problem and, if nothing else, no-one can guarantee at this stage how trade will be affected in the early months of 2021.

In short it is a period of intense change and while personally I am happy to live in the UK, we are sitting tight to some extent to see how things move or settle around us. I would worry for any family member returning and hoping to resettle quickly.   T x

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Newy said:

Hi all,

We have been thinking of returning to UK since early this year but have been postponing due to the pandemic. We have a comfortable life here but we don't see ourselves making Australia our forever home. Our latest plan was to be back by Christmas but given that the situation is about to get worse than the first wave, I'm hesitant. My husband on the other hand thinks that this pandemic is not going to end anytime soon, so the sooner we move the better. I would really like to do that, but how can I knowingly take my children from the safety of Australia to a full-blown pandemic? We definitely want to move, but I'm inclined to move in the new year/Easter. I can see my husband's point of view - that if we had never moved to Australia, we would be going through this anyway, and our friends/family are somehow managing. He thinks that if we don't move by Christmas, we'll end up staying another year as there'll be another wave/reasons to delay...

Please help us decide. What would you do? We're torn! 

No wait until the spring / summer 2021 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tea4too said:

In all honesty, I am not sure this is the best time to relocate to the UK. The country is not managing Covid-19 well (although the devolved nations do seem to be faring relatively better so far), the economy is shrinking with no obvious green shoots to suggest improvement in the foreseeable future, Education is struggling with a raft of issues including  cancelled exams, remote learning and social distancing,  there are concerns that the high number of Covid cases is putting such a strain on the NHS that other serious health needs are not being investigated or met. Unemployment is also climbing as business struggles to manage the lockdowns. Brexit is another factor as the UK ends it's relationship with the EU in January but has yet to finalise any type of deal so the uncertainty is a problem and, if nothing else, no-one can guarantee at this stage how trade will be affected in the early months of 2021.

In short it is a period of intense change and while personally I am happy to live in the UK, we are sitting tight to some extent to see how things move or settle around us. I would worry for any family member returning and hoping to resettle quickly.   T x

I would recommend signing up for the free Guardian app and reading articles in that for 2 weeks daily to get a picture of what its like here at the moment, unemployment and company closures and large scale redundancies are the growth industries here, at the moment the Guardian and Huffington post is the only media telling anything close to the truth everything else is paywalled but if you want a dose of what the rest of the country believes try the Mail and the Express which rely on the fact that there is no requirement to post the truth in their on line editions.  

I am definitely in the don’t go before Christmas camp. I speak regularly to friends and family in the UK from Scotland to Kent. 

Most are OK and still have jobs or are working, although mot as much.   But nothing is certain.  They cannot see friends anymore.  Queues to enter the supermarket are growing again, sometimes my sister in law has waited for 2 hours just to buy essentials. Hospitals are becoming overwhelmed. Non urgent wards are now full of COVID patients and sealed off. Nightingale hospitals are starting to gear up for the overflow, my niece has been assigned to one as a respiratory physiotherapist. 

Really in Australia we are so lucky, there are worse places to be trapped for sure.  

Have you spoken to friends and family in the UK and asked them honestly what they would do in your shoes?

My friends and family in UK wish they were here, especially as winter will be long dark and isolated in UK.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I would recommend signing up for the free Guardian app and reading articles in that for 2 weeks daily to get a picture of what its like here at the moment, unemployment and company closures and large scale redundancies are the growth industries here, at the moment the Guardian and Huffington post is the only media telling anything close to the truth everything else is paywalled but if you want a dose of what the rest of the country believes try the Mail and the Express which rely on the fact that there is no requirement to post the truth in their on line editions.  

Could I add Private Eye as well on line to get a feel for here at the moment.

Definitely not. My sibling tested positive for COVID last week and they had to isolate for 2 weeks and they live in a pretty rural town, it’s spread far and wide over there and it’s not safe. 

The uk is going back into lockdown this Thursday for who knows how long on top of the issues mentioned above. Enjoy normal life here until it calms down a bit (a lot).

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

You mean "Read the Grauniad if you have left wing views but for anybody else the Daily  Mail is perfectly acceptable." I read the DM every day and they can hardly be accused of playing down the situation in the UK at the moment.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

You mean "Read the Grauniad if you have left wing views but for anybody else the Daily  Mail is perfectly acceptable." I read the DM every day and they can hardly be accused of playing down the situation in the UK at the moment.

Australian Guardian is good.  Can’t comment on the pommy version 

Going through the exact same situation at the moment.......although we already have the travel exemption, flights booked for end of Nov (but now expecting them to be cancelled as airlines reduce schedules to UK again), shipping booked, enrolled kids in school starting in Jan. We actually originally intended to go in June but put it off due to uncertainty about the whole pandemic. So I re-booked everything once already and not keen to re-schedule it all again as it's been extremely stressful!! The additional pull on top of the usual is that I have an ill family member in the UK (non-COVID related) who may not be around once things have cleared up (which may be a long time yet!) and travel to/from Aus opens up again so we decided to go for it again. But now obviously putting us all at risk health wise is making me think twice. Although I don't have paid work here but have a job lined up in the UK, so not so much of a need to stay as I wouldn't be giving up much really. It's a tough decision and I'm torn, as I like your husband, was determined to go and felt I just had to. It's just so hard to know what is for the best, the thought of postponing again is just depressing. But it may be taken out of my hands if flights dry up again and then I think I'll never get back. But like someone said, we are so lucky in Aus and there are worse places to be, I'd just rather be "home."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, marmitegirl said:

Going through the exact same situation at the moment.......although we already have the travel exemption, flights booked for end of Nov (but now expecting them to be cancelled as airlines reduce schedules to UK again), shipping booked, enrolled kids in school starting in Jan. We actually originally intended to go in June but put it off due to uncertainty about the whole pandemic. So I re-booked everything once already and not keen to re-schedule it all again as it's been extremely stressful!! The additional pull on top of the usual is that I have an ill family member in the UK (non-COVID related) who may not be around once things have cleared up (which may be a long time yet!) and travel to/from Aus opens up again so we decided to go for it again. But now obviously putting us all at risk health wise is making me think twice. Although I don't have paid work here but have a job lined up in the UK, so not so much of a need to stay as I wouldn't be giving up much really. It's a tough decision and I'm torn, as I like your husband, was determined to go and felt I just had to. It's just so hard to know what is for the best, the thought of postponing again is just depressing. But it may be taken out of my hands if flights dry up again and then I think I'll never get back. But like someone said, we are so lucky in Aus and there are worse places to be, I'd just rather be "home."

It's not a nice feeling is it? This is exactly what my husband is feeling right now. We've had a chat last night and he was so disappointed to hear my views on this. Looks like it may well be out of our hands anyway as the flights will get cancelled and we'll end up feeling more stressed. We don't have jobs lined up in UK - we're not expecting to find anything for at least six months. I just hope we'll be able to return by Easter or else it's going to be so depressing and stressful for everyone as the decision has been made. Good luck with your move. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to you all! Definitely helped with making the decision to not travel in time for Christmas. It's not worth it! We're definitely delaying the move to at least late January but not later than Easter as my husband really do want to be back soon. Hopefully, we can enjoy one last summer here before we move. Fingers crossed x