simmo

RIP Sir Sean Connery

It's very sad and he was a great actor and the last of the legends.... but all the people saying he was the best bond?????   I'm sure you said that when Roger Moore died.

9 hours ago, simmo said:

but all the people saying he was the best bond?????   I'm sure you said that when Roger Moore died.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim Roger Moore was the best Bond.   He was good as The Saint but by the time he took over Bond, he was too old.  Looked like a dirty old man with those Bond babes. 

I was never a huge Bond fan but I thought Sean Connery did the best job of combining suave and dangerous, while managing to send the whole thing up slightly with that twinkle in his eye.  

I can never understand why anyone says it's "sad" when someone dies in their 90's.  No one lives forever, and making it as far as 90 is something few people manage.  Something to be celebrated.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I was sad to hear about his death, but reading his BBC obituary was very interesting - I'd never known about his early life, but was certainly varied and interesting, before he reached Hollywood fame.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-13087132

• Like 1

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship interview invite 02/03/20  22/09/20 | Citizenship interview 27/04/20 11/11/20 | Ceremony invite 4/12/20 | Ceremony held 26/01/21

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim Roger Moore was the best Bond.   He was good as The Saint but by the time he took over Bond, he was too old.  Looked like a dirty old man with those Bond babes. 

I was never a huge Bond fan but I thought Sean Connery did the best job of combining suave and dangerous, while managing to send the whole thing up slightly with that twinkle in his eye.  

I can never understand why anyone says it's "sad" when someone dies in their 90's.  No one lives forever, and making it as far as 90 is something few people manage.  Something to be celebrated.

A great innings is never sad. 

There is nothing wrong with being sad when someone who means something to you has died.

doesn't matter how old they are.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Whether he was the best Bond or otherwise, as Captain Ramius in the Hunt for Red October he was definitely the best Russian submarine captain with a Scottish accent.  

• Like 1

I've merged 3 threads together here so sorry for any repetition.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...